* Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 14:36 Yu Ke
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Yu Ke @ 2011-09-30 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core, Lock, Joshua

Hi,

As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that
allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
detail.

This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.

Best Regards
Ke

Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
# touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
# bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf

Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file,
which can be empty in above case.

* Re: Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 15:16 ` Joshua Lock
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Ke; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).

It's not really an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

>  It is a graphical image creator that
> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> detail.

I'll be fleshing this page out over the coming weeks.

> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf

In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.

The script will create the required configuration files with some
required values.

Regards,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"

* Re: Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 15:36 ` Joshua Lock
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Ke; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).

It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

> It is a graphical image creator that
> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> detail.

I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
coming weeks.

@ 2011-09-30 15:49 ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Ke; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).

It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

> It is a graphical image creator that
> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> detail.

I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
coming weeks.

> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf

In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.

The script will create the required configuration files with some
required values.

Regards,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"
        Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 16:20   ` McClintock Matthew-B29882
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2011-09-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu Ke; +Cc: joshua.lock, bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Yu Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently, i.e.
> HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that allows
> user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image. The wiki
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more detail.
>
> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our first
> version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan to enhance
> it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and provide your
> valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement is the right way
> to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
>
> Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file, which
> can be empty in above case.

Has any discussion gone into making some sort of plugin or extensions?
I'd like for it to be as easy as possible for someone new to make hob
be able to some things like: configure runtime services, configure
networking settings, add users, and I'm sure there are other things.

-M

* Re: [bitbake-devel] Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 16:20   ` McClintock Matthew-B29882
From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2011-09-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu Ke; +Cc: joshua.lock, bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Yu Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently, i.e.
> HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that allows
> user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image. The wiki
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more detail.
>
> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our first
> version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan to enhance
> it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and provide your
> valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement is the right way
> to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
>
> Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file, which
> can be empty in above case.

Has any discussion gone into making some sort of plugin or extensions?
I'd like for it to be as easy as possible for someone new to make hob
be able to some things like: configure runtime services, configure
networking settings, add users, and I'm sure there are other things.

-M

* Re: [OE-core] Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 16:32     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-09-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

Op 30 sep. 2011 om 10:49 heeft Joshua Lock <josh@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
>> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).
>
> It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.
>
>> It is a graphical image creator that
>> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
>> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
>> detail.
>
> I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
> coming weeks.
>
>> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
>> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
>> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
>> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
>> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Ke
>>
>> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
>> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
>> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
>
> In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
> oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
>
> The script will create the required configuration files with some
> required values.

Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same info in multiple places

From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-09-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2011-09-30 17:16       ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: bitbake-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 11:32 -0500, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 30 sep. 2011 om 10:49 heeft Joshua Lock <josh@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> >> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).
> >
> > It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.
> >
> >> It is a graphical image creator that
> >> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> >> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> >> detail.
> >
> > I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
> > coming weeks.
> >
> >> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> >> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
> >> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
> >> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
> >> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Ke
> >>
> >> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> >> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> >> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
> >
> > In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
> > oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
> >
> > The script will create the required configuration files with some
> > required values.
>
> Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same info in multiple places

We do use local.conf in that if values are set there and not in either
of the hob configuration files the values from local.conf are used
however I had an explicit feature request to not modify local.conf.

I actually started looking at having Hob use an independent
configuration file so that Hob settings would persist across build
directories, this didn't make it in the 1.1 time frame unfortunately.

Cheers,
Joshua

From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: bitbake-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 11:32 -0500, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 30 sep. 2011 om 10:49 heeft Joshua Lock <josh@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> >> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).
> >
> > It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.
> >
> >> It is a graphical image creator that
> >> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> >> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> >> detail.
> >
> > I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
> > coming weeks.
> >
> >> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> >> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
> >> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
> >> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
> >> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Ke
> >>
> >> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> >> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> >> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
> >
> > In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
> > oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
> >
> > The script will create the required configuration files with some
> > required values.
>
> Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same info in multiple places

We do use local.conf in that if values are set there and not in either
of the hob configuration files the values from local.conf are used
however I had an explicit feature request to not modify local.conf.

I actually started looking at having Hob use an independent
configuration file so that Hob settings would persist across build
directories, this didn't make it in the 1.1 time frame unfortunately.

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"
        Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
  (?)
@ 2011-09-30 17:23   ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McClintock Matthew-B29882; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 10:20 -0600, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Yu Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently, i.e.
> > HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that allows
> > user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image. The wiki
> > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more detail.
> >
> > This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our first
> > version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan to enhance
> > it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and provide your
> > valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement is the right way
> > to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ke
> >
> > Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> > # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> > # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
> >
> > Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file, which
> > can be empty in above case.
>
> Has any discussion gone into making some sort of plugin or extensions?
> I'd like for it to be as easy as possible for someone new to make hob
> be able to some things like: configure runtime services, configure
> networking settings, add users, and I'm sure there are other things.

No such discussion has occurred. These are good feature suggestions,
though I'm not sure about a plugin mechanism - are you suggesting that
to enable the features mentioned or in addition to?
At least for enabling runtime services there's likely an issue of the
GUI having enough knowledge of the init system to do so.

I can certainly see at least the three features proposed here being
desirable and I'll probably file those as feature enhancements in the
bugzilla, unless you'd like to?

Any further thoughts on customisations to enable via the GUI?

Cheers,
Joshua
--

@ 2011-09-30 17:32       ` McClintock Matthew-B29882
From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2011-09-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Lock; +Cc: McClintock Matthew-B29882, bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Joshua Lock <joshua.lock@intel.com> wrote:
> No such discussion has occurred. These are good feature suggestions,
> though I'm not sure about a plugin mechanism - are you suggesting that
> to enable the features mentioned or in addition to?
> At least for enabling runtime services there's likely an issue of the
> GUI having enough knowledge of the init system to do so.

I'd just like to be able to make these extensions/add-ons while not
being familiar with bitbake internals. Maybe by INHERIT'ing bbclasses?
It just seems like adding some configuration pane for configuring ip
addresses should be as easy and possible.

> I can certainly see at least the three features proposed here being
> desirable and I'll probably file those as feature enhancements in the
> bugzilla, unless you'd like to?
>
> Any further thoughts on customisations to enable via the GUI?

I can file some enhancement bugs. We are actually brainstorming this
as I type this so I'm sure some more things will come up ;)

From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2011-09-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Lock; +Cc: McClintock Matthew-B29882, bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2011-09-30 17:34     ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McClintock Matthew-B29882; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-09-30 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McClintock Matthew-B29882; +Cc: bitbake-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2011-09-30 18:43         ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-09-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Lock
  Cc: bitbake-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 30 sep. 2011 om 12:16 heeft Joshua Lock <josh@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 11:32 -0500, Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

>>> I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
>>> coming weeks.

>>> In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
>>> oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
>>>
>>> The script will create the required configuration files with some
>>> required values.
>>
>> Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same info in multiple places
>
> We do use local.conf in that if values are set there and not in either
> of the hob configuration files the values from local.conf are used
> however I had an explicit feature request to not modify local.conf.

In the past it would ignore DISTRO, leading to much headscratching

From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-09-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Lock
  Cc: bitbake-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 30 sep. 2011 om 12:16 heeft Joshua Lock <josh@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 11:32 -0500, Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

>>> I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
>>> coming weeks.

>>> In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
>>> oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
>>>
>>> The script will create the required configuration files with some
>>> required values.
>>
>> Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same info in multiple places
>
> We do use local.conf in that if values are set there and not in either
> of the hob configuration files the values from local.conf are used
> however I had an explicit feature request to not modify local.conf.

In the past it would ignore DISTRO, leading to much headscratching

> I actually started looking at having Hob use an independent
> configuration file so that Hob settings would persist across build
> directories, this didn't make it in the 1.1 time frame unfortunately.
>
> Cheers,
> Joshua
> --
> Joshua Lock
>        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"
>        Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [OE-core] Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)
@ 2011-09-30 21:55   ` Gary Thomas
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-09-30 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer; +Cc: Joshua, bitbake-devel

On 2011-09-30 08:36, Yu Ke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently, i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that allows user to freely choose which
> packages to be built in the image. The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob has more detail.
>
> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we
> really hope that you can use it and provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
>
> Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file, which can be empty in above case.

I build images which are not based on any of the core-XXX images listed by HOB.
How can I get them into the drop-down base list?
Is there a way I can filter out some of the base images?  tasks?

I ask these questions because in particular, I use a lot of the recipes in meta
and meta-yocto, but none of the images or tasks (because they don't really address
my needs, don't take offense, I just want more control than they offer)

From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-09-30 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer; +Cc: Joshua, bitbake-devel

@ 2011-10-01  0:23     ` Yu, Ke
From: Yu, Ke @ 2011-10-01  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
> > As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> > i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder). It is a graphical image creator that allows
> user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image. The wiki
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob has more detail.
> >
> > This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> > first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan to
> enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and provide your
> valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement is the right way to
> go. Looking forward your valuable input.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ke
> >
> > Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> > # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf # bitbake -u hob -r
> > conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
> >
> > Where conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf is the configuration file, which
> can be empty in above case.
>
> I build images which are not based on any of the core-XXX images listed by HOB.
> How can I get them into the drop-down base list?
> Is there a way I can filter out some of the base images?  tasks?

Gary, thanks for trying and giving out the input. It is helpful.

For the base image list, HOB generate it by searching all the task whose name containing "image", and we plan to improve it in Yocto 1.2 by searching task who inherits image.bbclass.

So currently, if you name your own image with XXX-image, HOB should be able to automatically add it in the drop-down list.

And yes, it is helpful to allow user adding item into base image list. it can be done by adding one item in "Edit"->"Preference". I will add this requirement to my plan. For base image filtering, I am not sure if it is necessary, since base image list is not that long. How do you think?

Regards
Ke

From: Yu, Ke @ 2011-10-01  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-10-01  0:30       ` Yu, Ke
From: Yu, Ke @ 2011-10-01  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
> > On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake
> >> recently, i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).
> >
> > It's not an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.
> >
> >> It is a graphical image creator that allows user to freely choose
> >> which packages to be built in the image.
> >> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> >> detail.
> >
> > I'll be changing this page and adding more user-centric info in the
> > coming weeks.
> >
> >> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> >> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the
> >> plan to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use
> >> it and provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's
> >> feedback/requirement is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable
> input.
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Ke
> >>
> >> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> >> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf # bitbake -u hob -r
> >> conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf
> >
> > In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
> > oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.
> >
> > The script will create the required configuration files with some
> > required values.
>
> Can we have it use local.conf by default please? I hate having to put the same
> info in multiple places

Yes, this is valid. We should be able to use local.conf as pre and post conf file, if they are not specified by user. Thanks for the input. I will add it to my plan.

Regards
Ke

From: Yu, Ke @ 2011-10-01  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-10-01  0:38       ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-10-01  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 08:30 +0800, Yu, Ke wrote:
> [...]

I'm not sure we should promise that - the plan, per bug #1441 (and as
alluded to earlier) is to have the configuration be independent of
BitBake and persistent to the UI (i.e. hob configuration is the same
even if I launch it from a clean build dir).

This isn't a mandate but we should certainly weigh up the pro's and
con's of either side before we propose which one to implement.

http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1441

Cheers,
Joshua
--

@ 2011-10-01 17:46       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2011-10-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: Lock, Joshua, bitbake-devel, Gary Thomas

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 21:23, Yu, Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
> So currently, if you name your own image with XXX-image, HOB should be able to automatically add it in the drop-down list.
>
> And yes, it is helpful to allow user adding item into base image list. it can be done by adding one item in "Edit"->"Preference". I will add this requirement to my plan. For base image filtering, I am not sure if it is necessary, since base image list is not that long. How do you think?

It would be nice to have a way to filter out images too. In case we're
customizing oe-core to a customer we might want to reduce the options
to avoid unsupported images to be built.

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br

From: Otavio Salvador @ 2011-10-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: Lock, Joshua, bitbake-devel

@ 2011-10-01 17:51         ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-10-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: Lock, Joshua, bitbake-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 1 okt. 2011 om 12:46 heeft Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> het volgende geschreven:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 21:23, Yu, Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
>> So currently, if you name your own image with XXX-image, HOB should be able to automatically add it in the drop-down list.
>>
>> And yes, it is helpful to allow user adding item into base image list. it can be done by adding one item in "Edit"->"Preference". I will add this requirement to my plan. For base image filtering, I am not sure if it is necessary, since base image list is not that long. How do you think?
>
> It would be nice to have a way to filter out images too. In case we're
> customizing oe-core to a customer we might want to reduce the options
> to avoid unsupported images to be built.

Like a whitelist regexp on hob.conf

From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-10-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
  Cc: Lock, Joshua, bitbake-devel,

@ 2011-10-03 22:13         ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-10-03 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: bitbake-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 11:51 -0600, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 1 okt. 2011 om 12:46 heeft Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 21:23, Yu, Ke <ke.yu@intel.com> wrote:
> >> So currently, if you name your own image with XXX-image, HOB should be able to automatically add it in the drop-down list.
> >>
> >> And yes, it is helpful to allow user adding item into base image list. it can be done by adding one item in "Edit"->"Preference". I will add this requirement to my plan. For base image filtering, I am not sure if it is necessary, since base image list is not that long. How do you think?
> >
> > It would be nice to have a way to filter out images too. In case we're
> > customizing oe-core to a customer we might want to reduce the options
> > to avoid unsupported images to be built.
>
> Like a whitelist regexp on hob.conf

Filed as Yocto #1581

http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1581

Joshua