* [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-08 16:08 Khem Raj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer,
	openembeded-devel, yocto

Hi all

I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here

http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19

These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
later on.

please help testing it out in your environments and machines
I would be happy to help out with issues we find

Thank you

-Khem

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-10  5:32   ` Nathan Rossi
From: Nathan Rossi @ 2014-02-10  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Khem,

I have given it a test with the machines on the meta-xilinx layer, specifically ARM Cortex A9 and MicroBlaze architectures. And there appears to be no issues.

Also I couldn't access your eglibc source tarball because of pesky corporate web filters, so I used a direct svn export of the upstream repo at the revision 25243, I assume there should be no differences?

On a side note, I haven't seen any mention of what is next regarding oe-core and eglibc. Since the eglibc project has closed its development (http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01327.html), and that 2.19 is the final version. Are there any plans to switch oe-core to using glibc for the future? Just curious is all.

Regards,
Nathan

> Thank you
>
> -Khem

* Re: [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-10  5:32   ` Nathan Rossi
From: Nathan Rossi @ 2014-02-10  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-10  7:31     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-10  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Rossi
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Nathan Rossi <nathan.rossi@xilinx.com> wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for the report.

> Also I couldn't access your eglibc source tarball because of pesky corporate web filters, so I used a direct svn export of the upstream repo at the revision 25243, I assume there should be no differences?

there are no functional differences.

> On a side note, I haven't seen any mention of what is next regarding oe-core and eglibc. Since the eglibc project has closed its development (http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01327.html), and that 2.19 is the final version. Are there any plans to switch oe-core to using glibc for the future? Just curious is all.

Sure there definitely are and we discussed it in Last OE meeting on
IRC recently, we will plan moving to using glibc after 2.19, so these
will be last 2.19 eglibc recipes.

> Regards,
> Nathan
>

>> Thank you
>>
>> -Khem

* Re: [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-10  7:31     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-10  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Rossi
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Nathan Rossi <nathan.rossi@xilinx.com> wrote:

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-12 15:41   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>
> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
> later on.
>
> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
> I would be happy to help out with issues we find

The autobuilder is still going but it found:

http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

so far.

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-02-12 16:53     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 15:41 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
> >
> > http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
> >
> > These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
> > later on.
> >
> > please help testing it out in your environments and machines
> > I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>
> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

the valgrind configure check breaks too:

http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/minnow/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-02-12 17:14       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Feb 12, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 15:41 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>>>
>>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>>>
>>> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
>>> later on.
>>>
>>> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
>>> I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>>
>> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>>
>> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>
> the valgrind configure check breaks too:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/minnow/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

For this I pushed a fix to pull branch just now.

> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-12 17:14       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Feb 12, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 15:41 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>>>
>>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>>>
>>> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
>>> later on.
>>>
>>> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
>>> I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>>
>> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>>
>> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>
> the valgrind configure check breaks too:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/minnow/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

For this I pushed a fix to pull branch just now.

> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-12 18:20     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Feb 12, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>>
>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>>
>> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
>> later on.
>>
>> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
>> I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>
> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

I could reproduce it.

This seems to be surfaced by a commit in glibc where the  math_ldbl.h implementations for ppc were unified. I have for now reverted it via patch and pushed to pull branch. however thats not only the one issue :(. I am now seeing

| ../sysdeps/powerpc/fpu/fenv_libc.h:48:6: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
|       asm volatile ("mtfsf 0xff,%0" : : "f" (d)); \
|       ^

> so far.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-12 18:20     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Feb 12, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>>
>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>>
>> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
>> later on.
>>
>> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
>> I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>
> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

I could reproduce it.

This seems to be surfaced by a commit in glibc where the  math_ldbl.h implementations for ppc were unified. I have for now reverted it via patch and pushed to pull branch. however thats not only the one issue :(. I am now seeing

| ../sysdeps/powerpc/fpu/fenv_libc.h:48:6: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
|       asm volatile ("mtfsf 0xff,%0" : : "f" (d)); \
|       ^

> so far.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-13  5:45       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-13  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Richard, All

On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>>>
>>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>>>
>>> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
>>> later on.
>>>
>>> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
>>> I would be happy to help out with issues we find
>>
>> The autobuilder is still going but it found:
>>
>> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/25/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>
> I could reproduce it.
>
> This seems to be surfaced by a commit in glibc where the  math_ldbl.h implementations for ppc were unified. I have for now reverted it via patch and pushed to pull branch. however thats not only the one issue :(. I am now seeing
>
> | ../sysdeps/powerpc/fpu/fenv_libc.h:48:6: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
> |       asm volatile ("mtfsf 0xff,%0" : : "f" (d)); \
> |       ^

Alright, the real problem was that in glibc 2.19 the SPE patch was upsteamed from eglibc and now the SPE support lives under nofpu/ which is correct unlike
eglibc where it was living under fpu/ class. We were not passing —without-fp
to eglibc configure which caused this issue. I have now fixed it in metadata
and pushed a new set of patches ( total 2) to the pull branch, which should take of this issue as well as valgrind issue.

Thanks
-Khem

* Re: [RFT] eglibc 2.19
@ 2014-02-13  5:45       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-13  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-02-17 15:25   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:08 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have staged a branch with eglibc 2.19 upgraded recipes here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.19
>
> These are not final recipes there may be tweaks needed like adjusting SRC_URI
> later on.
>
> please help testing it out in your environments and machines
> I would be happy to help out with issues we find

For what its worth, the last build with the updated patches in passed on
the autobuilder.

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-02-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,