From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org>
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>,
	ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org,
	lkml <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] 2038 Kernel Summit Discussion Fodder
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 03:06:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 17:01 -0700, John Stultz wrote:
[...]
> The downsides here are many. The distros will probably hate this idea,

I certainly hate the idea of adding another 32-bit port to Debian.
I think that it's OK for traditional distros to say 'just upgrade to
64bit' while you solve the problem for 32-bit embedded systems where
there's probably little demand for supporting multiple ABIs at once.

>  as it requires rebuilding the world, and maintaining another legacy
> architecture support. I’m also not completely sure how robust
> multi-arch packaging is in the face of having to handle 3-4
> architectures on one system.

dpkg multiarch covers this just fine, while I believe RPM is limited to
biarch.

> On the kernel side, it also adds more complexity, where we have to add
> even more complex compat support for 64bit systems to handle all the
> various 32bit applications possible.
[...]

Didn't we need to do this already to support x32?  Have compat ioctls
involving time been botched?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org>
Cc: ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org,
	"Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>,