* usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-02 12:16 Eric S. Johansson
From: Eric S. Johansson @ 2014-12-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

I got win7 installed, virtio devices working and took forever to trickle
in updates because of a w7 bug update manager bug that take up all cpu
resources.  now I got DNS 13 installed but I'm getting no audio.

I pass throught the usb audio device (logitech h800 USB 046d:0a29) and
it is seen as a device in windows.  then I hear the headset sync-up
beeps and the device vanishes from windows.  pointers as to what I
should look at next?

--- eric

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-02 12:43 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-12-02 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Johansson, kvm, Hans De Goede, Gerd Hoffmann

On 02/12/2014 13:16, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> I got win7 installed, virtio devices working and took forever to trickle
> in updates because of a w7 bug update manager bug that take up all cpu
> resources.  now I got DNS 13 installed but I'm getting no audio.
>
> I pass throught the usb audio device (logitech h800 USB 046d:0a29) and
> it is seen as a device in windows.  then I hear the headset sync-up
> beeps and the device vanishes from windows.  pointers as to what I
> should look at next?

Adding back Hans and Gerd...

Paolo

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-03  8:21   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-12-03  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini, Eric S. Johansson, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

Hi all,

On 12/02/2014 01:43 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 02/12/2014 13:16, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>> I got win7 installed, virtio devices working and took forever to trickle
>> in updates because of a w7 bug update manager bug that take up all cpu
>> resources.  now I got DNS 13 installed but I'm getting no audio.
>>
>> I pass throught the usb audio device (logitech h800 USB 046d:0a29) and
>> it is seen as a device in windows.  then I hear the headset sync-up
>> beeps and the device vanishes from windows.  pointers as to what I
>> should look at next?
>
> Adding back Hans and Gerd...

Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?

If you do not know, please describe how (which ui-elements / cmdline)
you are redirecting the device.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-03  8:31     ` Eric S. Johansson
From: Eric S. Johansson @ 2014-12-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

On 12/3/2014 3:21 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 12/02/2014 01:43 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>

>> On 02/12/2014 13:16, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>>> I got win7 installed, virtio devices working and took forever to
>>> trickle
>>> in updates because of a w7 bug update manager bug that take up all cpu
>>> resources.  now I got DNS 13 installed but I'm getting no audio.
>>>
>>> I pass throught the usb audio device (logitech h800 USB 046d:0a29) and
>>> it is seen as a device in windows.  then I hear the headset sync-up
>>> beeps and the device vanishes from windows.  pointers as to what I
>>> should look at next?
>>
>> Adding back Hans and Gerd...
>
> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?

Host redirection I assume. It was from the collection of devices UI and
I added the device to pass through from the list of host USB devices.

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-03  8:52       ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-12-03  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Johansson, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

Hi,

On 12/03/2014 09:31 AM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> On 12/3/2014 3:21 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>> Adding back Hans and Gerd...
>>
>> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?
>
> Host redirection I assume. It was from the collection of devices UI and I added the device to pass through from the list of host USB devices.

Ok, then Gerd is probably the best person to help you further.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-03  9:23         ` Eric S. Johansson
From: Eric S. Johansson @ 2014-12-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

On 12/3/2014 3:52 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?
>>
>> Host redirection I assume. It was from the collection of devices UI
>> and I added the device to pass through from the list of host USB
>> devices.
>
> Ok, then Gerd is probably the best person to help you further

Let's try this from a different perspective. Which connection method
will give me the most reliable/stable USB connection with the cleanest
audio outcomes? whatever would work best is what I want to use.

@ 2014-12-03  9:28       ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2014-12-03  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Johansson; +Cc: Hans de Goede, Paolo Bonzini, kvm

  Hi,

> >> Adding back Hans and Gerd...
> >
> > Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?
>
> Host redirection I assume. It was from the collection of devices UI and
> I added the device to pass through from the list of host USB devices.

Sounds like virt-manager.  qemu logs should be
at /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$guest.log then.  Any error messages in there?

Any messages in the host kernel log (about usb device reset maybe?)

Do you use an usb 2 controller?  If not, can try whenever that improves
things?  Can be switched when you pick the "controller usb" in the
virt-manager "devices ui".

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-03 15:39         ` Eric S. Johansson
From: Eric S. Johansson @ 2014-12-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

On 12/3/2014 3:52 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?

This little bit of time this morning learning about spice and the
network redirection. It worked for about half an hour and then failed in
the same way the host redirection failed. The audio device would appear
for a while, I would try to use it and then it would disappear.

The spice model has some very nice features and that I could, in
theory,  have a  working speech recognition engine somewhere on my <air
quotes>cloud</air quotes> and then be able to use it via spice on any
desktop I happen to be located in front of. it would also work nicely
with my original idea of putting a working KVM virtual machine on and an
e-sata SSD external drive and be able to bring my working speech
recognition environment with me without having cart a laptop.

I hope you can see that this could be generalized into a nicely portable
accessibility solution where the accessibility environment moves with
the disabled user and removes the need to make every machine have user
specific accessibility software and configuration. Yes, it does impose a
requirement the KVM runs everywhere but, we know that's the future
anyway so why fight it :-)

Anyway, I think if we can solve this USB audio device problem then I'll
be very happy and can make further progress towards my goal.

Thank you so very much for the help so far and I hope we can fix this
USB problem.

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-08 10:43           ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-12-08 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Johansson, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

Hi Eric,

On 03-12-14 16:39, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> On 12/3/2014 3:52 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?
>>

> This little bit of time this morning learning about spice and the network redirection. It worked for about half an hour and then failed in the same way the host redirection failed. The audio device would appear for a while, I would try to use it and then it would disappear.
>
> The spice model has some very nice features and that I could, in theory,  have a  working speech recognition engine somewhere on my <air quotes>cloud</air quotes> and then be able to use it via spice on any desktop I happen to be located in front of. it would also work nicely with my original idea of putting a working KVM virtual machine on and an e-sata SSD external drive and be able to bring my working speech recognition environment with me without having cart a laptop.
>
> I hope you can see that this could be generalized into a nicely portable accessibility solution where the accessibility environment moves with the disabled user and removes the need to make every machine have user specific accessibility software and configuration. Yes, it does impose a requirement the KVM runs everywhere but, we know that's the future anyway so why fight it :-)
>
> Anyway, I think if we can solve this USB audio device problem then I'll be very happy and can make further progress towards my goal.
>
> Thank you so very much for the help so far and I hope we can fix this USB problem.

To further figure out what is going on when the usb device disconnects we will
need some logs.

For starters lets look at the spice-client side, before starting virt-manager
or virt-viewer do the following in the terminal:

export LIBUSB_DEBUG=4

And then start the application from the terminal like e.g. this:

virt-manager &> virt-man.log

Then do what you want to do with the usb headset until it disconnects,
and once it has disconnected quit and attach the generated virt-man.log file to your
next mail.

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Below are instructions to gather logs on the qemu side. I do not need those
right now, first lets do the client side logs, but since I've already looked up
the instructions I thought it would be good to put them in this mail:

Standard the libvirt qemu logs under:
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/<vm-name>.log

Should contain some minimal usb logging.

If native usb is properly setup and a client connects which supports native usb, one
would expect messages like this to show up there:

qemu-system-x86_64: usbredirparser: Peer version: spice-gtk 0.21, using 64-bits ids

If a message like the above does not show up then there is a problem with the vm
config, and further more detailed debugging is not going to help.

If you're debugging problems with a certain device it may be helpful to enable
more verbose logging of usb traffic inside qemu, to do this, the vm's libvirt xml
file needs to be edited like this:

<domain type='qemu' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
   <devices>
   </devices>
   <qemu:commandline>
     <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
     <qemu:arg value='device.usbredir0.debug=4'/>
   </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Note the first line needs to be changed and the <qemu:commandline> section is
new. If there are more usbredir devices inside the xml (usually there are) then
additional -set device.usbredir1.debug=4, etc. arguments must be added, ie:

   <qemu:commandline>
     <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
     <qemu:arg value='device.usbredir0.debug=4'/>
     <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
     <qemu:arg value='device.usbredir1.debug=4'/>
   </qemu:commandline>

Note this kind of detailed logging is only useful when a certain device fails, if
no devices work at all there usual is a general configuration problem.

* Re: usb audio device troubles
@ 2014-12-08 18:07             ` Cole Robinson
From: Cole Robinson @ 2014-12-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Eric S. Johansson, Paolo Bonzini, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

On 12/08/2014 05:43 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On 03-12-14 16:39, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>>
>> On 12/3/2014 3:52 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?
>>>

>> This little bit of time this morning learning about spice and the network
>> redirection. It worked for about half an hour and then failed in the same
>> way the host redirection failed. The audio device would appear for a while,
>> I would try to use it and then it would disappear.
>>
>> The spice model has some very nice features and that I could, in theory,
>> have a  working speech recognition engine somewhere on my <air
>> quotes>cloud</air quotes> and then be able to use it via spice on any
>> desktop I happen to be located in front of. it would also work nicely with
>> my original idea of putting a working KVM virtual machine on and an e-sata
>> SSD external drive and be able to bring my working speech recognition
>> environment with me without having cart a laptop.
>>
>> I hope you can see that this could be generalized into a nicely portable
>> accessibility solution where the accessibility environment moves with the
>> disabled user and removes the need to make every machine have user specific
>> accessibility software and configuration. Yes, it does impose a requirement
>> the KVM runs everywhere but, we know that's the future anyway so why fight
>> it :-)
>>
>> Anyway, I think if we can solve this USB audio device problem then I'll be
>> very happy and can make further progress towards my goal.
>>
>> Thank you so very much for the help so far and I hope we can fix this USB
>> problem.
>
> To further figure out what is going on when the usb device disconnects we will
> need some logs.
>
> For starters lets look at the spice-client side, before starting virt-manager
> or virt-viewer do the following in the terminal:
>
> export LIBUSB_DEBUG=4
>
> And then start the application from the terminal like e.g. this:
>
> virt-manager &> virt-man.log

You'll need to use virt-manager --no-fork or virt-manager --debug to actually
see any output

- Cole