* Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 10:21 wei.liu2
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: wei.liu2 @ 2015-03-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel, manishjaggi.oss, boris.ostrovsky,
	ufimtseva, guijianfeng, eddie.dong, julien.grall, anthony.perard,
	roger.pau, artem.mygaiev, ian.jackson, daniel.kiper, wei.liu2,
	dario.faggioli, robert.hu, eshelton, Kelly.Zytaruk, tiejun.chen,
	xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb, josh.whitehead,
	robert.vanvossen, Paul.Skentzos, Steve.VanderLeest, jtweaver,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, tamas.lengyel

Hi all

We are now two months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
misunderstanding.

= Timeline =

We are planning on a 9-month release cycle, but we could also release a bit
earlier if everything goes well (no blocker, no critical bug).

* Development start: 6 Jan 2015
<=== We are here ===>
* Feature Freeze: 10 Jul 2015
* RCs: TBD
* Release Date: 9 Oct 2015 (could release earlier)

The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
will therefore be fairly unpredictable.

Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.

= Prognosis =

The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done

none - nothing yet
fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
ok   - patches posted, acting on review
good - some last minute pieces
done - all done, might have bugs

= Bug Fixes =

Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
high.

Document changes can go in anytime if the maintainer is OK with it.

These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're coming
from; if you think there's a good reason why making an exception for you will
help us make Xen better than not doing so, feel free to make your case.

== Linux ==

*  PV domain with memory > 512GB (fair)
  -  Juergen Gross

*  Block driver multiqueue support (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Bob Liu

*  Block driver multi-page ring support (fair)
  -  Bob Liu

*  Preemptable privcmd hypercalls (good)
   v5 posted
  -  David Vrabel

*  Linux ARM - Device assigment (PCI) (none)
   Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
  -  Manish Jaggi

*  pvUSB in Linux (fronted and backend) (Fair)
  -  Juergen Gross

*  VPMU - 'perf' support in Linux (ok)
   Depends on Xen patches
   Acked by David Vrabel
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  vNUMA in Linux (ok)
   v6 posted
   git://gitorious.org/vnuma/linux_vnuma.git
  -  Elena Ufimtseva

*  vsyscall in Linux (fair)
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  COLO Agent in Linux (fair)
  -  Gui Jianfeng
  -  Yang Hongyang
  -  Dong, Eddie

*  ARM64 - support 64K guest (none)
  -  Julien Grall

== OpenStack ==

*  setup CI loop for OpenStack (fair)
  -  Anthony Perard

== FreeBSD ==

*  PVH FreeBSD dom0 (ok)
   FreeBSD 11 goal. Toolstack side done in Xen 4.5
  -  Roger Pau Monné

== Other OSes (MiniOS, QNX) ==

*  PV drivers for automotive kernels (fair)
  -  Artem Mygaiev

*  mini-os: xenbus changes for rump kernels (ok)
   git://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/rumpuser-xen.git
   branch: base.dev-xen-xenbus.v1..dev-xen-xenbus.v1
   v2 posted
  -  Ian Jackson

== GRUB2 ==

*  GRUB2 multiboot2 (fair)
  -  Daniel Kiper

== OSSTEST ==

*  OSSTest: studom test case (none)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: libvirt migration (fair)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: upgrade to Debian Jessie (none)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: performance test (fair)
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  CPU pool test case (fair)
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  Add a FreeBSD host (fair)
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  Nested virt test case (fair)
  -  Robert Hu

== QEMU ==

*  Linux-based QEMU upstream stub domain (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Eric Shelton

*  Using qemu-upstream in a stubdomain (none)
   Will use rump kernels.
  -  Wei Liu

*  AMD Radeon PCI GPU passthrough (none)
   Focusing on Xen 4.2 and qemu-traditional
  -  Kelly Zytaruk

*  Intel IGD PCI GPU passthrough (ok)
   v5 posted
  -  Chen, Tiejun

== Up for grabs ==

*  save/restore/migrate PVHVM guest with > 32 vcpus
   http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-02/msg00244.html

*  PoD fixes
   if you boot with memory <= maxmem we have a size estimation bug

*  TLB flushing without locks in Xen

*  xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
   http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/22

*  PCI hole resize support hvmloader/qemu-traditional/qemu-upstream with PCI/GPU passthrough
   http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/28

*  libx{c,l} error handling cleanup

*  Adding missing 'xend' features in libxl
   Need to define what is missing

*  xl list -l doesn't contain tty console port

*  xl: passing more defaults in configuration in xl.conf
   There are a number of options for which it might be useful to pass a default in xl.conf.  For example, if we could have a default "backend" parameter for vifs, then it would be easy to switch back and forth between a backend in a driver domain and a backend in dom0.

*  PVH - PVH working with shadow.
   Based on Tim's work

*  PVH - PCI passthrough for DomU.

*  AMD performance regressions

*  Performance due to hypercall preemption. More preemptions - slower. (none)

== Hypervisor ==

*  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
  -  Ed White

*  Improve RTDS scheduler (none)
  -  Dagaen Golomb, Meng Xu

*  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
   RFC patch posted (v2)
  -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen

*  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
  -  Justin T. Weaver

*  sndif: add API for para-virtual sound (fair)
   v7 posted
  -  Oleksandr Dmytryshyn

*  gnttab: improve scalability (good)
   v5 posted
  -  Christoph Egger

*  Display IO topology when PXM data is available (good)
   v3 posted
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  Clean-up of mem-event subsystem (good)
   v5 posted
  -  Tamas K Lengyel

*  Xen Boot Information (xbi) (ok)
   Dependency for GRUB2 + EFI work
   http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02068.html
   v4, No go for full patchset. Only some of the patches.
   No ARM EFI hardware (yet) available to test them.
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Xen multiboot2-EFI support (fair)
   Needed for GrUB2
   Depends on Xen Boot info (rework multiboot and other structs)
   See http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg02281.html
   RFC posted
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Default to credit2 (none)
   cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
  -  George Dunlap

*  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  Further tmem cleanups/fixes (16TB etc) (fair)
  -  Bob Liu

*  1TB slow destruction (ok)
  -  Bob Liu

=== Hypervisor X86 ===

*  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
  -  Wu, Feng

*  amd_ucode cleanups, verify patch size(enhancement) (mostly in master except one patch)

*  Data breakpoint Extension support (new-feat) (in master)

*  Feature masking MSR support (enhancement) (in master)

*  Support BRCM TruManage chip (Serial over LAN support) (new-feat) (in master)

*  fix vmce_amd* functions, unify mce_amd mcheck initialization (fixes/cleanups)

*  multiple AMD container files appended together in initrd (early initramfs)
  -  Aravind and Suravee

*  HT enabled with credit has 7.9 per perf drop. (none)
   kernbench demonstrated it
   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/339409
   This has existed since credit1 introduction.
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  Support controlling the max C-state sub-state (fair)
   v3 posted
   Hadn't see the patch reposted.
  -  Ross Lagerwall

*  IOMMU ABI for guests to map their DMA regions (fair)
  -  Malcolm Crossley

*  dirty vram / IOMMU bug (fair)
   http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/38
  -  Zhang, Yang Z

*  Xen HPET interrupt fixes (fair)
   behind migration v2
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)
   design doc posted
  -  Kai Huang

*  Intel memory bandwidth monitoring for VMs (fair)
   v9 posted
  -  Chao Peng

*  xc_reserved_device_memory_map in hvmloader to avoid conflicting MMIO/RAM (good)
   v7 posted.
   Treating pieces as bug-fixes only.
   Low likehood of making it in Xen 4.5. Deferred
  -  Tiejun Chen

*  VPMU - 'perf' support in Xen (good)
   v14 posted
   Need reviews/final ack.
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Elena Ufimtseva

*  PVH dom0 (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Elena Ufimtseva

*  extending mem_access support to PV domain (fair)
   RFC v2
  -  Aravindh Puthiyaparambil (aravindp)

=== Hypervisor ARM ===

*  Add support for Xilinx ZynqMP SoC (fair)
  -  Edgar E. Iglesias

*  ITS support (fair )
  -  Vijaya Kumar K

*  Add support for Huawei hip04-d01 platform (ok)
  -  Frediano Ziglio

*  Thunder X platform support (ok)
  -  Vijay Kilari

*  Add ACPI support for arm64 on Xen (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Parth Dixit

*  ARM: reenable support 32-bit userspace running in 64-bit guest (good)
   v2 posted
  -  Ian Campbell

*  ARM remote processor iommu module (GPUs + IPUs) (fair)
   v3 posted
  -  Andrii Tseglytskyi

*  ARM VM save/restore/live migration (none)
   Need to rebased against migrationv2 - no code posted.
  -  None

*  ARM GICv2m support (none)
  -  Suravee Suthikulanit

*  ARM - SMMU resync of Linux's one (ok)
  -  Julien Grall

*  ARM - passthrough of non-PCI (ok)
  -  Julien Grall

*  ARM  PCI passthrough (none)
  -  Manish Jaggi
  -  Vijay Kilari

== Xen toolstack ==

*  toolstack-based approach to pvhvm guest kexec (fair)
   also contains hypervisor side change
  -  Vitaly Kuznetsov

*  libxl: add qxl vga interface support for upstream qemu (fair)
  -  Fabio Fantoni

*  Toolstack-based approach to pvhvm guest kexec (ok)
   v4 posted
  -  Vitaly Kuznetsov

*  libxl: cancelling asynchronous operations (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Ian Jackson

*  VMware tools support (fair)
  -  Don Slutz

*  pvUSB support in libxl (fair)
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  vNUMA in Xen toolstack (good)
   v7 posted
  -  Wei Liu

*  Blktap2 support (none)
  -  George Dunlap

*  pvscsi in libxl (fair)
  -  Juergen Gross and Olaf

*  COarse-grain LOck-stepping Virtual Machines in Xen (fair)
   RFC v3 posted, based on remus-v19
  -  Wen Congyang
  -  Gui Jianfeng
  -  Yang Hongyang
  -  Dong, Eddie

*  New Migration (v2). (good)
   v7 (libxc and libxl)
   git://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/xen.git
   Seems that it might need to slip or we run v1 alongside v2.
  -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

*  libxl migrationv2 patches. (none)
  -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

*  tmem migrationv2 patches. (none)
  -  Bob Liu & Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

*  Remus using migration-v2 (fair)
   RFC posted - depends on v6 of 'New Migration'
  -  Yang Hongyang

*  snapshot API extension (checkpointing disk) (ok)
   v5
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  libxl/xl - xm compatibility mode for mem-max and mem-set; (ok)
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  xl list --long (and some related xl commands) have some bugs (none)
  -  Zhigang Wang

*  cpuid leveling (none)
   http://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/feature-levelling/feature-levelling-D.pdf
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  live migration knobs, there is no suitable code yet, just ideas (none)
    http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-03/msg00785.html
  -  Olaf Hering

*  xl does not handle migrate interruption gracefully (none)
   If you start a localhost migrate, and press "Ctrl-C" in the middle, you get two hung domains
  -  Ian Jackson

*  IO-NUMA - hwloc and xl (none)
   Andrew Cooper had an RFC patch for hwloc
   add restrictions  as to which devices cannot safely/functionally be split apart.
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  HVM guest NUMA (SRAT) (good)
   See vNUMA in Xen toolstack
  -  Wei Liu

*  PVH - Migration of PVH DomUs. (none)
   Depends on migration2 code
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  PVH - Migration of guests from a PVH dom0  (none)
   Depends on migration2 code
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  ucode=scan also scan compressed initramfs (none)
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  adjust log buffer based on memmap size (none)
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  Regression in PCI passthrough of INTx legacy devices can trigger list corruption (good)
   Sander reported it. Two different types of patches available.
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  ARM - MiniOS (fair)
   v7 posted
  -  Thomas Leonard

== Deferred after 4.6 ==

*  Linux ARM - Device assigment usage in Linux code (arch/arm) non-PCI (none)
   Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
  -  Julien Grall

== Completed ==

*  Splitting off mini-os (done)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OVMF on ARM (done)
   v4 posted
  -  Ard Biesheuvel

*  Update Xen tree to use upstream OVMF (done)
  -  Anthony PERARD

*  Enable vTPM subsystem on TPM 2.0 (done)
  -  Xu, Quan

*  SPICE support improvement (done)
  -  Fabio Fantoni

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 10:54 ` George Dunlap
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: George Dunlap @ 2015-03-12 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel, manishjaggi.oss,
	boris.ostrovsky, ufimtseva, guijianfeng, eddie.dong,
	julien.grall, anthony.perard, roger.pau, artem.mygaiev,
	ian.jackson, daniel.kiper, dario.faggioli, robert.hu, eshelton,

On 03/12/2015 10:21 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

> *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
>   -  Justin T. Weaver

The most recent patches looked pretty good -- I'd be very surprised if
these didn't make it in by July.  I'd change this to "good".

> *  Default to credit2 (none)
>    cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
>   -  George Dunlap

I think before actually doing a release with credit2 as the default, we
want almost an entire development cycle with credit2 as the default, to
shake out any latent bugs; and probably an entire release with credit2
listed as "production-ready".

So maybe this goal would be more helpfully stated as "credit2 production
ready", so that when we open the next development window we can change
the default immediately?

> *  pvUSB support in libxl (fair)
>   -  Chunyan Liu

You can add in hvmUSB support in libxl here, with my name; and call it
"fair".

> *  Blktap2 support (none)
>   -  George Dunlap

I'm planning on doing it, but I haven't spec'd the actual work yet.  Is
"fair" the best description for that?

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 11:26   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-03-12 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Eddie Dong,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, Kelly.Zytaruk,
	fabio.fantoni, edgar.iglesias, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, chao.p.peng, Paul.Skentzos, jt

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:54 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 10:21 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>
> > *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
> >   -  Justin T. Weaver
>
> The most recent patches looked pretty good -- I'd be very surprised if
> these didn't make it in by July.  I'd change this to "good".

+1

> > *  Default to credit2 (none)
> >    cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
> >   -  George Dunlap
>
> I think before actually doing a release with credit2 as the default, we
> want almost an entire development cycle with credit2 as the default, to
> shake out any latent bugs;

Indeed. We also want to discuss and define some criteria/requirement for
a scheduler to fulfill in order to be considered as the new default one.

We can work on this as well, during this dev cycle, and have it ready
for next time, if we want to try doing the switch.

> and probably an entire release with credit2
> listed as "production-ready".

I agree. We want to make it no longer experimental, and that is probably
doable within this dev cycle.

> So maybe this goal would be more helpfully stated as "credit2 production
> ready", so that when we open the next development window we can change
> the default immediately?

+1

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 11:34   ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2015-03-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, wei.liu2, jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel,
	manishjaggi.oss, boris.ostrovsky, ufimtseva, guijianfeng,
	eddie.dong, julien.grall, anthony.perard, roger.pau,
	artem.mygaiev, ian.jackson, daniel.kiper, dario.faggioli,

Il 12/03/2015 11:54, George Dunlap ha scritto:
> On 03/12/2015 10:21 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>
>> *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
>>    -  Justin T. Weaver
> The most recent patches looked pretty good -- I'd be very surprised if
> these didn't make it in by July.  I'd change this to "good".
>
>> *  Default to credit2 (none)
>>     cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
>>    -  George Dunlap
> I think before actually doing a release with credit2 as the default, we
> want almost an entire development cycle with credit2 as the default, to
> shake out any latent bugs; and probably an entire release with credit2
> listed as "production-ready".
>
> So maybe this goal would be more helpfully stated as "credit2 production
> ready", so that when we open the next development window we can change
> the default immediately?
>
>> *  pvUSB support in libxl (fair)
>>    -  Chunyan Liu
> You can add in hvmUSB support in libxl here, with my name; and call it
> "fair".

You did a new patchset version? The latest I saw, rebased and tested
(including compatibility with actual spice usb redirection) was long
time ago and I not saw newer posted in xen-devel.

@ 2015-03-12 11:41     ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2015-03-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni, wei.liu2, jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel,

On 03/12/2015 11:34 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 12/03/2015 11:54, George Dunlap ha scritto:
>> On 03/12/2015 10:21 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>>
>>> *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
>>>    -  Justin T. Weaver
>> The most recent patches looked pretty good -- I'd be very surprised if
>> these didn't make it in by July.  I'd change this to "good".
>>
>>> *  Default to credit2 (none)
>>>     cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
>>>    -  George Dunlap
>> I think before actually doing a release with credit2 as the default, we
>> want almost an entire development cycle with credit2 as the default, to
>> shake out any latent bugs; and probably an entire release with credit2
>> listed as "production-ready".
>>
>> So maybe this goal would be more helpfully stated as "credit2 production
>> ready", so that when we open the next development window we can change
>> the default immediately?
>>
>>> *  pvUSB support in libxl (fair)
>>>    -  Chunyan Liu
>> You can add in hvmUSB support in libxl here, with my name; and call it
>> "fair".
>
> You did a new patchset version? The latest I saw, rebased and tested
> (including compatibility with actual spice usb redirection) was long
> time ago and I not saw newer posted in xen-devel.

No, and I'm not going to post one until the pvUSB stuff gets in, since
that work will involve refactoring the pvUSB code into PV and
DEVICEMODEL paths, and I don't fancy having to repeat that work every
time there's another revision. :-)

The core technology is working just fine; it's only the library
interface that really needed work in the last patch, and that will be
set by the pvUSB series.  So once that's in, it should be a relatively
small amount of work.

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 11:54 ` Jan Beulich
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-03-12 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei.Liu2, konrad.wilk
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, Chun Yan Liu, edmund.h.white,
	fabio.fantoni, chao.p.peng, edgar.iglesias, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, kai.huang, tamas.lengyel,
	Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, vijay.kilari, oleksandr.tyshchenko,
	guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar, xen-devel, josh.whitehead,
	anthony.perard, xumengpanda, eshelton, olaf, ian.campbell, wency,
	julien.grall, robert.vanvossen

>>> On 12.03.15 at 11:21, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> == Linux ==

Wouldn't it make sense to move external projects down, and have
our core pieces (hypervisor, tool stack, maybe qemu) be near the
top?

> *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
>    RFC posted
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Is this still a valid item? I think we went another route, albeit that
work is still incomplete iirc. Konrad?

> *  Further tmem cleanups/fixes (16TB etc) (fair)
>   -  Bob Liu

As we can now support more than 16Tb, I don't think this number
should be mentioned anymore.

> *  amd_ucode cleanups, verify patch size(enhancement) (mostly in master
> except one patch)

Which one?

> *  Feature masking MSR support (enhancement) (in master)

What is this about? Or what status does "in master" actually
refer to?

> *  Support controlling the max C-state sub-state (fair)
>    v3 posted
>    Hadn't see the patch reposted.
>   -  Ross Lagerwall

I'm afraid we have a hard time settling on a reasonable model
for specifying the maximum sub-state.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 12:18 ` Tamas Lengyel
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Tamas Lengyel @ 2015-03-12 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Ian Jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf,
	Ian Campbell, vijay.kilari, Julien

> *  Clean-up of mem-event subsystem (good)
>    v5 posted
>   -  Tamas K Lengyel

v7 will be posted today, status is good.

> === Hypervisor ARM ===

I've posted v13 of the mem_access for ARM series that should be added to
this tracker. Status should be good.

Thanks,
Tamas

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 14:15   ` Aravind Gopalakrishnan
From: Aravind Gopalakrishnan @ 2015-03-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Wei.Liu2, konrad.wilk
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, Chun Yan Liu, edmund.h.white,
	fabio.fantoni, chao.p.peng, edgar.iglesias, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, kai.huang, tamas.lengyel,
	Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, vijay.kilari, oleksandr.tyshchenko,
	guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar, josh.whitehead, anthony.perard,
	xen-devel, eshelton, olaf, ian.campbell, wency, julien.grall,
	robert.vanvossen, frediano.ziglio

On 3/12/2015 6:54 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> *  amd_ucode cleanups, verify patch size(enhancement) (mostly in master
>> except one patch)
> Which one?

This is in reference to the patches to microcode_amd and it's all 'done'
in 4.5 itself.
I think when we were tracking this, commit 8b24b07e was not in master
branch.
Hence the status.

We can remove this from the current list of features to be tracked for
4.6 IMO.

>> *  Feature masking MSR support (enhancement) (in master)
> What is this about? Or what status does "in master" actually
> refer to?

This is in reference to commit e74de9c0.

And this is also complete, and can be removed from the list.
Before I knew what status values to apply to a feature, I had used 'in
master' to convey
that patches are in master branch. The feature tracking list has
maintained this remnant.

In fact, all these patches in the list are 'done' as of 4.5 itself and
can be removed IMO.

*Data breakpoint Extension support (new-feat) (in master)

*Support BRCM TruManage chip (Serial over LAN support) (new-feat) (in
master)

*fix vmce_amd* functions, unify mce_amd mcheck initialization
(fixes/cleanups)

*multiple AMD container files appended together in initrd (early initramfs)

-Aravind and Suravee

Thanks,
-Aravind.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-12 15:07 ` Ian Campbell
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-03-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf,
	julien.grall, vijay.kilari, aravindp, robert.vanvossen

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

> *  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
>    RFC patch posted (v2)
>   -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen

This was superceded by the RTDS stuff, wasn't it?

> === Hypervisor ARM ===
>
> *  Add support for Xilinx ZynqMP SoC (fair)
>   -  Edgar E. Iglesias

Done

> *  Add support for Huawei hip04-d01 platform (ok)
>   -  Frediano Ziglio

Done

> *  Thunder X platform support (ok)
>   -  Vijay Kilari

Done, with one exception

> *  ARM - SMMU resync of Linux's one (ok)
>   -  Julien Grall

Done

> *  Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
>   -  Daniel Kiper

What is this? I've never heard about it.

My local tree has these after make dist:
        dist/install/var
        dist/install/var/lib
        dist/install/var/lib/xen
        dist/install/var/lib/xenstored
        dist/install/var/lib/xen/xenpaging
        dist/install/var/log
        dist/install/var/log/xen
        dist/install/var/xen
        dist/install/var/xen/dump

which all seems proper and correct to me.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 15:39   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-03-12 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Eddie Dong,

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 15:07 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>
> > *  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
> >    RFC patch posted (v2)
> >   -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen
>
> This was superceded by the RTDS stuff, wasn't it?

I haven't head from Joshua and Robert in a while, so I don't really know
whether they're still working on this, but I think they're not.

And yes, we have a new and modern real-time scheduling now, so I would
rather direct all the effort toward it (to move it out from
'experimental' status), and start thinking at ways to deprecate/get rid
of SEDF.

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 15:57     ` Josh Whitehead
From: Josh Whitehead @ 2015-03-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli, Ian Campbell
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Eddie Dong,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, Kelly.Zytaruk,
	fabio.fantoni, edgar.iglesias, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, chao.p.peng, Paul Skentzos,
	jtweaver

>On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 15:07 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>>
> > *  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
>> >    RFC patch posted (v2)
>> >   -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen
>>
>> This was superceded by the RTDS stuff, wasn't it?
>>
>I haven't head from Joshua and Robert in a while, so I don't really know whether they're still working on this, but I think they're not.
>
>And yes, we have a new and modern real-time scheduling now, so I would rather direct all the effort toward it (to move it out from 'experimental' status), >and start thinking at ways to deprecate/get rid of SEDF.
>
>Regards,
>Dario

I apologize for our lack of communication and not keeping the list up to date on this.

This did get pushed to the back burner for a while as other responsibilities came along and we were also waiting to see what the RT-Xen folks were able to come up with as it looked quite promising.  However we (Robbie and I) have been discussing the last week or so here how we'd like to proceed on this.

At one point it had been put forward that we would submit our own complete scheduler and then look at "combining" the two (ours and rt-xen's) into one coherent scheduler, but we're not longer sure that's the best route forward.  We did have a couple ideas that may be more easily implemented starting from the SEDF code, but we're still investigating some of that.  We still have to discuss it with our managers, so I don't want to commit to anything just yet, but I think Robbie and I are leaning toward contributing bug fixes and improvements to sched_rt to move it out of experimental/tech preview status as well as contributing one or more new deadline algorithms (CBS being the obvious first choice if that's still desired by the community).

We've had some new projects in the Xen arena begin here at DornerWorks (supporting Xen on the new Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC being the big one) and we hope to making contributions in several areas to the project in the next few months.  I will push the discussion of this topic in particular today and try to get back to everyone on this scheduler topic by the end of today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your time and again I apologize for the lack of communication on this topic.

- Joshua

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 16:01   ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-03-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	Kelly.Zytaruk, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss,
	julien.grall, vijay.kilari, aravindp, robert.vanvossen, fredian

On Thu, Mar 12, Ian Campbell wrote:

>         dist/install/var/xen/dump
> which all seems proper and correct to me.

Except the last one, which should be /var/lib/xen/dump or whatever
dumpdir the OS/FHS provides.

Olaf

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 16:15     ` Dagaen Golomb
From: Dagaen Golomb @ 2015-03-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Ian Jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, wency,
	oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper, josh.whitehead,
	anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, julien.grall,
	Ian Campbell, vijay.kilari, aravindp, robert.v

All,

I expect to have a patch out soon for the RTDS scheduler improvement.

Regards,
Dagaen Golomb

@ 2015-03-12 18:31   ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2015-03-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	Kelly.Zytaruk, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 03:07:33PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

[...]

> > *  Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
> >   -  Daniel Kiper
>
> What is this? I've never heard about it.
>
> My local tree has these after make dist:
>         dist/install/var
>         dist/install/var/lib
>         dist/install/var/lib/xen
>         dist/install/var/lib/xenstored
>         dist/install/var/lib/xen/xenpaging
>         dist/install/var/log
>         dist/install/var/log/xen
>         dist/install/var/xen
>         dist/install/var/xen/dump
>
> which all seems proper and correct to me.

IIRC, 4.3 release (and probably earlier ones) was a mess. Olaf did the work for 4.5.
However, as he pointed out in another email last one is incorrect. Olaf, are you going
to fix it for 4.6? I suppose it is quite simple.

Daniel

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-12 18:54 ` Aravindh Puthiyaparambil (aravindp)
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Aravindh Puthiyaparambil (aravindp) @ 2015-03-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel, manishjaggi.oss,
	boris.ostrovsky, ufimtseva, guijianfeng, eddie.dong,
	julien.grall, anthony.perard, roger.pau, artem.mygaiev,
	ian.jackson, daniel.kiper, dario.faggioli, robert.hu

We did some internal reprioritizing and decided to focus on HVM and PVH domains. This can be placed in deep freeze for now.

Thanks,
Aravindh

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-12 18:59 ` Daniel Kiper
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2015-03-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf,
	julien.grall, ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, aravindp

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:21:56AM +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

[...]

> == GRUB2 ==
>
> *  GRUB2 multiboot2 (fair)
>   -  Daniel Kiper

RFC patches were posted (see: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-01/msg03982.html).
Weeding out bugs found during testing. I am going to post new patch series at the beginning of April.

[...]

> == Hypervisor ==

[...]

> *  Xen Boot Information (xbi) (ok)
>    Dependency for GRUB2 + EFI work
>    http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02068.html
>    v4, No go for full patchset. Only some of the patches.
>    No ARM EFI hardware (yet) available to test them.
>   -  Daniel Kiper

Move this to after 4.6. It depends on multiboot2 protocol support.

> *  Xen multiboot2-EFI support (fair)
>    Needed for GrUB2

I am not sure what does it mean. Please drop this line above.

>    Depends on Xen Boot info (rework multiboot and other structs)

Not valid right now. Please drop this line above.

RFC patches were posted (see: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-01/msg03962.html).
Weeding out bugs found during testing. I am going to post new patch series at the beginning of April.

[...]

> == Xen toolstack ==

[...]

> *  Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
>   -  Daniel Kiper

If Olaf did all work then we can remove this one.

> *  libxl/xl - xm compatibility mode for mem-max and mem-set; (ok)
>   -  Daniel Kiper

Bob and I will be working on this. However, this probably will not come
into 4.6. So, let's move this to after 4.6.

Daniel

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-12 19:25     ` Meng Xu
From: Meng Xu @ 2015-03-12 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, Chong Li, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, Eddie Dong,
	Paul.Skentzos@dornerworks.com

> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 15:07 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> >
> > > *  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
> > >    RFC patch posted (v2)
> > >   -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen
> >
> > This was superceded by the RTDS stuff, wasn't it?
> >
> I haven't head from Joshua and Robert in a while, so I don't really know
> whether they're still working on this, but I think they're not.
>
> And yes, we have a new and modern real-time scheduling now, so I would
> rather direct all the effort toward it (to move it out from
> 'experimental' status), and start thinking at ways to deprecate/get rid
> of SEDF.

Dagaen, Chong and I are working on improving the RTDS scheduler right now.

Dagaen will change it from quantum driven to timer based scheduler;

Chong will extend the xl toolstack to support per-vcpu setting/getting
based on our old patch set.

I'm working on eliminating the scheduler overhead for the dedicated
VCPU (A VCPU is dedicated VCPU if it has full capacity, and its hard
affinity has only one CPU and user choose to set it as dedicated.).
Once a VCPU is dedicated to a CPU, no other VCPUs will run on that
CPU. So there is no point to trigger the scheduler on that CPU, which
cause around 1500cycles schedule() overhead. I'm working on the code
and then evaluating its performance. Once I can confirm this will
definitely benefit the RTDS scheduler, I will send a separate email to
the ML to explain the goal/design/implementation in detail.

Thanks,

Meng

--

-----------
Meng Xu

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-13  3:02 ` Chun Yan Liu
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Chun Yan Liu @ 2015-03-13  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: olaf, chegger, Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, Kelly.Zytaruk,
	suravee.suthikulpanit, Vijaya.Kumar, aravindp, andrew.cooper3,
	anthony.perard, dario.faggioli, david.vrabel, ian.campbell,
	julien.grall, malcolm.crossley, roger.pau, ross.lagerwall,
	wei.liu2, guijianfeng, wency, yanghy, josh.whitehead,
	Paul.Skentzos, robert.vanvossen, Steve.VanderLeest,
	george.dunlap, ian.jackson, andrii.tseglytskyi, artem.mygaiev,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, oleksandr.tyshchenko

<E1YW0FY-0002P7-DJ@ukmail1.uk.xensource.com>, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> *  pvscsi in libxl (fair)
>   -  Juergen Gross and Olaf
>
> *  COarse-grain LOck-stepping Virtual Machines in Xen (fair)
>    RFC v3 posted, based on remus-v19
>   -  Wen Congyang
>   -  Gui Jianfeng
>   -  Yang Hongyang
>   -  Dong, Eddie
>
> *  New Migration (v2). (good)
>    v7 (libxc and libxl)
>    git://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/xen.git
>    Seems that it might need to slip or we run v1 alongside v2.
>   -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel
>
> *  libxl migrationv2 patches. (none)
>   -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel
>
> *  tmem migrationv2 patches. (none)
>   -  Bob Liu & Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel
>
> *  Remus using migration-v2 (fair)
>    RFC posted - depends on v6 of 'New Migration'
>   -  Yang Hongyang
>
> *  snapshot API extension (checkpointing disk) (ok)

Snapshot design V10 got general agreement among us with a few small changes.
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-01/msg03071.html

Coding work is almost completed based on V10 design. With full testing locally,
it should be posted soon. And V10 design with trival updates will be posted at
the same time. So the status should be fair (?)

- Chunyan

@ 2015-03-13  8:40     ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-03-13  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kiper
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,

On Thu, Mar 12, Daniel Kiper wrote:

> IIRC, 4.3 release (and probably earlier ones) was a mess. Olaf did the
> work for 4.5.  However, as he pointed out in another email last one is
> incorrect. Olaf, are you going to fix it for 4.6? I suppose it is
> quite simple.

There are still many hardcoded /var related strings in the code. Last
time I looked at this it was too cumbersome to change all of them to
depend on --localstatedir (or whatever). I remember the remainders are
consistent in itself so I left them alone. The only thing I would touch
for 4.6 is to make the odd /var/xen/dump tuneable via configure. We patch
the path since many years. So yes, I will put this on my TODO list.

Olaf

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-13  8:41   ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-03-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kiper
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	Kelly.Zytaruk, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss,
	julien.grall, ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, aravindp, robert.v

On Thu, Mar 12, Daniel Kiper wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:21:56AM +0000, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > *  Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
> >   -  Daniel Kiper
> If Olaf did all work then we can remove this one.

What does this mean anyway? Does it mean the --prefix changes I did for
4.5?

Olaf

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-13  9:44 ` Chao Peng
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chao Peng @ 2015-03-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, edmund.h.white,
	Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni, Aravind.Gopalakrishnan,
	edgar.iglesias, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang, parth.dixit, dgolomb,
	eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, wency,
	oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper, josh.whitehead,
	anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf, julien.grall,
	ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, aravindp, robert.vanvossen

> *  Intel memory bandwidth monitoring for VMs (fair)
>    v9 posted
>   -  Chao Peng

Wei, this one is already merged.

Thanks,
Chao

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-13 10:32   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-03-13 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Jan Beulich, xen-devel

(culling the cc list a lot)

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 11:54 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > == Linux ==
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to move external projects down, and have
> our core pieces (hypervisor, tool stack, maybe qemu) be near the
> top?

When I originally started tracking external things back in whichever
release I was RM for there was only a couple of big ticket external
items. It seems that today there are dozens of things ranging from the
small to the large which are obscuring the work which is actually
happening within the Xen release itself (the list is now so long that is
a proper chore to read through it and pay attention).

Added to that is the fact that the list in general has become something
of a laundry list of everything anyone has ever thought of or someone
once considered working on, rather than things which are of some
importance to the 4.6 release.

Along with the fact that it must be a load of work to maintain I think
there is a danger nobody will read it because it is so overwhelming.

Wei, perhaps one or more of these could be applied:
      * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for external projects to
        be only the very largest most important items;
      * Stop tracking external projects altogether unless they have a
        direct interaction with the 4.6 release;
      * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for all projects a bit,
        i.e. not every little change to xen.git needs to be tracked;
      * be more aggressive about garbage collecting old ideas which
        aren't seeing any actual progress in this release window.

WRT the third one, I wonder if it is necessary for the RM to track
everything which is going on in the world WRT Xen. Just tracking those
items which we as a community have decided we want to get into 4.6 and
for which we feel there is a realistic chance of that happening would
make the list more manageable, which reduces the burden on you as well
as those trying to read the list.

I'm not saying that only things which are considered blockers for 4.6
should be on the list, but perhaps raise the bar from including every
possible wishlist item e.g. to only include important stuff, and drop
the nice to haves?

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-13 17:30 ` Ed White
From: Ed White @ 2015-03-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, jgross, bob.liu, david.vrabel, manishjaggi.oss,
	boris.ostrovsky, ufimtseva, guijianfeng, eddie.dong,
	julien.grall, anthony.perard, roger.pau, artem.mygaiev,
	ian.jackson, daniel.kiper, dario.faggioli, robert.hu, eshelton,
	Kelly.Zytaruk, tiejun.chen, xen-devel, xumengpanda, dgolomb,
	josh.whitehead, robert.vanvossen, Paul.Skentzos,
	Steve.VanderLeest, jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger,
	tamas.lengyel, george.dunlap, feng.wu, Aravind.Gopalakrishna

> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
>   -  Ed White

I'm hoping to see some progress on getting this restarted
in the next 2 or 3 weeks, with additional Intel resources.

Ed

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-13 18:02 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-03-13 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, daniel.kiper,
	josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf,
	julien.grall, ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, aravindp

> *  vsyscall in Linux (fair)
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Not done. Still in 'git stash'.

> *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
>    RFC posted
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Pff.. I've the patches but would need to post them and
redo them. Too busy right now.

Might as well move them to Xen 4.7 or so. Eventually
I will get the time.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-13 18:05   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-03-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:54:15AM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > == Linux ==
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to move external projects down, and have
> our core pieces (hypervisor, tool stack, maybe qemu) be near the
> top?
>
> > *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
> >    RFC posted
> >   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> Is this still a valid item? I think we went another route, albeit that
> work is still incomplete iirc. Konrad?

Right. I want to finish up the another route before I go back to this.
I think it is still valid - as it can help with other tasklet
uses. However I would need to do instrumentation/perf testing before
I post them.

> > *  Further tmem cleanups/fixes (16TB etc) (fair)
> >   -  Bob Liu
>
> As we can now support more than 16Tb, I don't think this number
> should be mentioned anymore.
>
> > *  amd_ucode cleanups, verify patch size(enhancement) (mostly in master
> > except one patch)
>
> Which one?
>
> > *  Feature masking MSR support (enhancement) (in master)
>
> What is this about? Or what status does "in master" actually
> refer to?

That they are done. In 'master' branch.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-13 18:05   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-03-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, ufimtseva, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, Kelly.Zytaruk,
	fabio.fantoni, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, julien.grall, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, vijay.kilari, ross.lagerwall, guijianfeng,
	daniel.kiper, josh.whitehead, anthony.perard, xen-devel,
	manishjaggi.oss, olaf, ian.campbell, wency, julien.grall,
	robert.vanvossen, frediano.ziglio, yang.z.zhang, quan.xu,
	tiejun.chen

On 13/03/15 18:02, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> *  vsyscall in Linux (fair)
>>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> Not done. Still in 'git stash'.
>
>> *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
>>    RFC posted
>>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> Pff.. I've the patches but would need to post them and
> redo them. Too busy right now.

xen-unstable currently has the broken implementation in, as they were
reverted out of 4.5 at the 11th hour, but not out of master which has
branched by that point.

If you don't have time to fix it, then they need reverting out of
unstable as well.

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-13 18:12     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-03-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, ufimtseva, ian.jackson,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 06:05:15PM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 13/03/15 18:02, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >> *  vsyscall in Linux (fair)
> >>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > Not done. Still in 'git stash'.
> >
> >> *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
> >>    RFC posted
> >>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > Pff.. I've the patches but would need to post them and
> > redo them. Too busy right now.
>
> xen-unstable currently has the broken implementation in, as they were
> reverted out of 4.5 at the 11th hour, but not out of master which has
> branched by that point.
>
> If you don't have time to fix it, then they need reverting out of
> unstable as well.

Correct. I am not referring to that one.

As I mentioned in my reply to Jan - I need to fix the broken
one in staging - before I even contemplate doing anything of
this mentioned above.

@ 2015-03-16 10:43     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-03-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Wei Liu, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:32:41AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> (culling the cc list a lot)

> > > == Linux ==
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense to move external projects down, and have
> > our core pieces (hypervisor, tool stack, maybe qemu) be near the
> > top?
>
> When I originally started tracking external things back in whichever
> release I was RM for there was only a couple of big ticket external
> items. It seems that today there are dozens of things ranging from the
> small to the large which are obscuring the work which is actually
> happening within the Xen release itself (the list is now so long that is
> a proper chore to read through it and pay attention).
>
> Added to that is the fact that the list in general has become something
> of a laundry list of everything anyone has ever thought of or someone
> once considered working on, rather than things which are of some
> importance to the 4.6 release.
>
> Along with the fact that it must be a load of work to maintain I think
> there is a danger nobody will read it because it is so overwhelming.
>
> Wei, perhaps one or more of these could be applied:
>       * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for external projects to
>         be only the very largest most important items;
>       * Stop tracking external projects altogether unless they have a
>         direct interaction with the 4.6 release;
>       * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for all projects a bit,
>         i.e. not every little change to xen.git needs to be tracked;
>       * be more aggressive about garbage collecting old ideas which
>         aren't seeing any actual progress in this release window.

I've been actively doing #4 by dropping lots of stuffs since the
beginning.

I've removed those "up for grabs" items because they can be / should be
tracked in bug tracker. I also removed some Linux projects which don't
seem to require interaction with Xen.

Wei.

> WRT the third one, I wonder if it is necessary for the RM to track
> everything which is going on in the world WRT Xen. Just tracking those
> items which we as a community have decided we want to get into 4.6 and
> for which we feel there is a realistic chance of that happening would
> make the list more manageable, which reduces the burden on you as well
> as those trying to read the list.
>
> I'm not saying that only things which are considered blockers for 4.6
> should be on the list, but perhaps raise the bar from including every
> possible wishlist item e.g. to only include important stuff, and drop
> the nice to haves?
>
> Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-16 13:01 ` Mihai Donțu
From: Mihai Donțu @ 2015-03-16 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, artem.mygaiev, quan.xu, ian.jackson,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, edgar.iglesias, cyliu,
	edmund.h.white, Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni,
	Aravind.Gopalakrishnan, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, zhigang.x.wang,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos,
	jtweaver, wency, Razvan Cojocaru, oleksandr.tyshchenko,

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:21:56 +0000 wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> We are now two months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
> misunderstanding.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We are planning on a 9-month release cycle, but we could also release a bit
> earlier if everything goes well (no blocker, no critical bug).
>
> * Development start: 6 Jan 2015
> <=== We are here ===>
> * Feature Freeze: 10 Jul 2015
> * RCs: TBD
> * Release Date: 9 Oct 2015 (could release earlier)
>
> The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
> will therefore be fairly unpredictable.
>
> Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
> RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
> to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.
>
> = Prognosis =
>
> The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
>
> none - nothing yet
> fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> ok   - patches posted, acting on review
> good - some last minute pieces
> done - all done, might have bugs
>
> = Bug Fixes =
>
> Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
> freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
> risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
> broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
> high.
>
> Document changes can go in anytime if the maintainer is OK with it.
>
> These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're coming
> from; if you think there's a good reason why making an exception for you will
> help us make Xen better than not doing so, feel free to make your case.
>
> [...]

I have been meaning to write this email for a while now, just to let
everyone know we're working on a couple more patches related to VM
introspection. They are not as big as our initial ones, but they do
bring in new functionality.

Răzvan Cojocaru will post a series based on Tamas' changes, as soon as
it stabilizes some more or (even better) gets merged. I'll let him
choose the right moment.

I will also pick up some of my [oldish] patches with reviews from Andrew
and Ian and also try to tackle some of the x86 emulator challenges
that we talked about some months ago. We've adjusted our plans and aim
for a to-the-point set of changes that allow one to built a security
solution (at least) the we envision it, in terms of isolation and
monitoring capability.

Mihai Donțu

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-16 15:58       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-03-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Ian Campbell, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

> On 16 Mar 2015, at 10:43, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:32:41AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>>
>> Wei, perhaps one or more of these could be applied:
>>      * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for external projects to
>>        be only the very largest most important items;
>>      * Stop tracking external projects altogether unless they have a
>>        direct interaction with the 4.6 release;
>>      * raise the bar for inclusion in the list for all projects a bit,
>>        i.e. not every little change to xen.git needs to be tracked;
>>      * be more aggressive about garbage collecting old ideas which
>>        aren't seeing any actual progress in this release window.
>>

> I've been actively doing #4 by dropping lots of stuffs since the
> beginning.
>
> I've removed those "up for grabs" items because they can be / should be
> tracked in bug tracker. I also removed some Linux projects which don't
> seem to require interaction with Xen.
>
> Wei.

Wei, I copied the stuff that has been done to http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Hypervisor_Roadmap/4.6#Xen_4.6_Completed_Features based on this thread (and some of the replies)
Regards
Lars

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-16 16:00   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-03-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihai Donțu
  Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, artem Mygaiev, Elena Ufimtseva, ian.jackson,
	Oleksandr Dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, Kelly Zytaruk,
	fabio.fantoni, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, zhigang.x.wang,
	Parth Dixit, dgolomb, eshelton, Julien Grall, Tamas K Lengyel,
	Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, Vijay Kilari, Razvan Cojocaru,
	ross.lagerwall, guijianfeng, Daniel Kiper, Joshua Whitehead,
	Anthony Perard

> On 16 Mar 2015, at 13:01, Mihai Donțu <mdontu@bitdefender.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:21:56 +0000 wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>> We are now two months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
>> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
>> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
>> misunderstanding.
>>
>> = Timeline =
>>
>> We are planning on a 9-month release cycle, but we could also release a bit
>> earlier if everything goes well (no blocker, no critical bug).
>>
>> * Development start: 6 Jan 2015
>> <=== We are here ===>
>> * Feature Freeze: 10 Jul 2015
>> * RCs: TBD
>> * Release Date: 9 Oct 2015 (could release earlier)
>>
>> The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
>> will therefore be fairly unpredictable.
>>
>> Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
>> RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
>> to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.
>>
>> = Prognosis =
>>
>> The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
>>
>> none - nothing yet
>> fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
>> ok   - patches posted, acting on review
>> good - some last minute pieces
>> done - all done, might have bugs
>>
>> = Bug Fixes =
>>
>> Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
>> freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
>> risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
>> broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
>> high.
>>
>> Document changes can go in anytime if the maintainer is OK with it.
>>
>> These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're coming
>> from; if you think there's a good reason why making an exception for you will
>> help us make Xen better than not doing so, feel free to make your case.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I have been meaning to write this email for a while now, just to let
> everyone know we're working on a couple more patches related to VM
> introspection. They are not as big as our initial ones, but they do
> bring in new functionality.

Mihai,
it would make Wei's life easier if you could provide headlines for those patches. That way they can be tracked before you post them
Regards
Lars

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-16 16:18     ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2015-03-16 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, Mihai Donțu
  Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, artem Mygaiev, quan.xu, eddie.dong,
	Oleksandr Dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, edmund.h.white,
	Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni, Aravind.Gopalakrishnan,
	edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, zhigang.x.wang, Parth Dixit,
	dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, wency,
	oleksandr.tyshchenko, guijianfeng, Daniel Kiper,
	Joshua Whitehead, Anthony Perard, xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss

On 03/16/2015 06:00 PM, Lars Kurth wrote:

>> On 16 Mar 2015, at 13:01, Mihai Donțu <mdontu@bitdefender.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:21:56 +0000 wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>>> We are now two months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
>>> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
>>> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
>>> misunderstanding.
>>>
>>> = Timeline =
>>>
>>> We are planning on a 9-month release cycle, but we could also release a bit
>>> earlier if everything goes well (no blocker, no critical bug).
>>>
>>> * Development start: 6 Jan 2015
>>> <=== We are here ===>
>>> * Feature Freeze: 10 Jul 2015
>>> * RCs: TBD
>>> * Release Date: 9 Oct 2015 (could release earlier)
>>>
>>> The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
>>> will therefore be fairly unpredictable.
>>>
>>> Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
>>> RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
>>> to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.
>>>
>>> = Prognosis =
>>>
>>> The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
>>>
>>> none - nothing yet
>>> fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
>>> ok   - patches posted, acting on review
>>> good - some last minute pieces
>>> done - all done, might have bugs
>>>
>>> = Bug Fixes =
>>>
>>> Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
>>> freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
>>> risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
>>> broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
>>> high.
>>>
>>> Document changes can go in anytime if the maintainer is OK with it.
>>>
>>> These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're coming
>>> from; if you think there's a good reason why making an exception for you will
>>> help us make Xen better than not doing so, feel free to make your case.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I have been meaning to write this email for a while now, just to let
>> everyone know we're working on a couple more patches related to VM
>> introspection. They are not as big as our initial ones, but they do
>> bring in new functionality.
>
> Mihai,
> it would make Wei's life easier if you could provide headlines for those patches. That way they can be tracked before you post them

For my part, the patches are:

1. xen: Add support for XSETBV vm_events

This is basically VMX support for sending out an event on VMEXIT /
EXIT_REASON_XSETBV. Additional information sent out is the XCR (the
value of ECX).

2. xen: Support hybernating guests

This patch cover two areas: A) send data (just a regular blob / buffer)
back to the HV in the vm_event response, and B) have that data returned
by the read function when emulating an instruction. Unless we do this,
monitored guests won't be able to properly wake up from hybernation.

3. xen: Support for VMCALL-based vm_events

This is a modification of the VMCALL patch in my original RFC series,
which got dropped last year. The modification takes into account Andrew
Cooper's suggestion to just use a hypercall:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-07/msg01677.html

4. xen: Deny MSR writes if refused by the vm_event reply

Preempt MSR writes that the monitoring application decides are evil.

5. xen: Implement actual write of CR values on xc_vcpu_setcontext()

Although libxc's API leads one to believe that all info in the context
will be set for the guest, the CR values were actually ignored for HVM
guests. This patch addresses that problem.

Hope this helps, Mihai will complete the picture with the rest.

Thanks,
Razvan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)
@ 2015-03-16 16:51       ` Mihai Donțu
From: Mihai Donțu @ 2015-03-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Razvan Cojocaru
  Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, artem Mygaiev, quan.xu, eddie.dong,
	Oleksandr Dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, edmund.h.white,
	Steve.VanderLeest, fabio.fantoni, Aravind.Gopalakrishnan,
	edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, zhigang.x.wang, Parth Dixit,
	dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, Paul.Skentzos, jtweaver, wency,
	oleksandr.tyshchenko, Tamas K Lengyel, Daniel Kiper,
	Joshua Whitehead, Anthony Perard, xen-devel, manis