* xl cpu online/offline?
@ 2016-01-13 14:53 Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-01-13 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xudong.hao, ian.campbell, wei.liu2

Hey,

We have some libxc calls for onlining/offlining the CPU and they
are quite good for testing how well Xen behaves without say
doing an S3 suspend or such.

It occurred to me that it would be nice to have them hook up in
libxl/xl but I am not exactly sure what the right command line would be?

And whether you want to make it super-duper smart to be able to deal
with ranges or hex masks, etc (like xentrace does).

Anyhow my first thought was:

 xl cpu online/offline

but most of the commands seem to follow one command per action, so perhaps:

 xl cpu-online
 xl cpu-offline

?

Thanks.

* Re: xl cpu online/offline?
@ 2016-01-13 15:15 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-01-13 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, xen-devel, xudong.hao, ian.campbell, wei.liu2

On 13/01/16 14:53, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We have some libxc calls for onlining/offlining the CPU and they
> are quite good for testing how well Xen behaves without say
> doing an S3 suspend or such.
>
> It occurred to me that it would be nice to have them hook up in
> libxl/xl but I am not exactly sure what the right command line would be?
>
> And whether you want to make it super-duper smart to be able to deal
> with ranges or hex masks, etc (like xentrace does).
>
> Anyhow my first thought was:
>
>  xl cpu online/offline
>
> but most of the commands seem to follow one command per action, so perhaps:
>
>  xl cpu-online
>  xl cpu-offline
>
> ?

Merging the xen-hptool functionality into xl would be a good improvement.

It uses:
andrewcoop@andrewcoop:~$ ssh idol xen-hptool
xen-hptool: Xen CPU/memory hotplug tool
Usage: xen-hptool <command> [args]
Commands:
  help                     display this help
  cpu-online    <cpuid>    online CPU <cpuid>
  cpu-offline   <cpuid>    offline CPU <cpuid>
  mem-online    <mfn>      online MEMORY <mfn>
  mem-offline   <mfn>      offline MEMORY <mfn>
  mem-status    <mfn>      query Memory status<mfn>

~Andrew

* Re: xl cpu online/offline?
@ 2016-01-13 15:40   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-01-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: xen-devel, xudong.hao, ian.campbell, wei.liu2

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:15:20PM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 13/01/16 14:53, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > We have some libxc calls for onlining/offlining the CPU and they
> > are quite good for testing how well Xen behaves without say
> > doing an S3 suspend or such.
> >
> > It occurred to me that it would be nice to have them hook up in
> > libxl/xl but I am not exactly sure what the right command line would be?
> >
> > And whether you want to make it super-duper smart to be able to deal
> > with ranges or hex masks, etc (like xentrace does).
> >
> > Anyhow my first thought was:
> >
> >  xl cpu online/offline
> >
> > but most of the commands seem to follow one command per action, so perhaps:
> >
> >  xl cpu-online
> >  xl cpu-offline
> >
> > ?
>
> Merging the xen-hptool functionality into xl would be a good improvement.
>
> It uses:
> andrewcoop@andrewcoop:~$ ssh idol xen-hptool

/me nods.

> xen-hptool: Xen CPU/memory hotplug tool
> Usage: xen-hptool <command> [args]
> Commands:
>   help                     display this help
>   cpu-online    <cpuid>    online CPU <cpuid>
>   cpu-offline   <cpuid>    offline CPU <cpuid>
>   mem-online    <mfn>      online MEMORY <mfn>
>   mem-offline   <mfn>      offline MEMORY <mfn>
>   mem-status    <mfn>      query Memory status<mfn>
>
> ~Andrew

* Re: xl cpu online/offline?
@ 2016-01-14 10:55 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2016-01-14 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, xen-devel, xudong.hao, wei.liu2

On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 09:53 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We have some libxc calls for onlining/offlining the CPU and they
> are quite good for testing how well Xen behaves without say
> doing an S3 suspend or such.
>
> It occurred to me that it would be nice to have them hook up in
> libxl/xl but I am not exactly sure what the right command line would be?
>
> And whether you want to make it super-duper smart to be able to deal
> with ranges or hex masks, etc (like xentrace does).
>
> Anyhow my first thought was:
>
>  xl cpu online/offline
>
> but most of the commands seem to follow one command per action, so
> perhaps:
>
>  xl cpu-online
>  xl cpu-offline

For end users is the functionality provided by xl vcpu-set not easier and
more appropriate?

AIUI the commands you are proposing differ in that they allow arbitrary
sets of processors, rather than just the first N, to be manipulated?
Perhaps adding a flag to xl vcpu-set would be a nice way to add this
ability?

Ian.

* Re: xl cpu online/offline?
@ 2016-01-14 12:38   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-01-14 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, xen-devel, xudong.hao, wei.liu2

On January 14, 2016 5:55:42 AM EST, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 09:53 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> We have some libxc calls for onlining/offlining the CPU and they
>> are quite good for testing how well Xen behaves without say
>> doing an S3 suspend or such.
>>
>> It occurred to me that it would be nice to have them hook up in
>> libxl/xl but I am not exactly sure what the right command line would
>be?
>>
>> And whether you want to make it super-duper smart to be able to deal
>> with ranges or hex masks, etc (like xentrace does).
>>
>> Anyhow my first thought was:
>>
>>  xl cpu online/offline
>>
>> but most of the commands seem to follow one command per action, so
>> perhaps:
>>
>>  xl cpu-online
>>  xl cpu-offline
>
>For end users is the functionality provided by xl vcpu-set not easier
>and
>more appropriate?
>
>AIUI the commands you are proposing differ in that they allow arbitrary
>sets of processors, rather than just the first N, to be manipulated?
>Perhaps adding a flag to xl vcpu-set would be a nice way to add this
>ability?

These hypercalls are for offllining and onling physical CPUs, not guest CPUs. As in the hypervisor one.