* Please update the linux-next location for the RDMA subsystem
@ 2017-11-17 19:47 Doug Ledford
       [not found] ` <1510948060.3973.29.camel-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Doug Ledford @ 2017-11-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Stephen,

Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
next

Thanks!

--
Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD

* Re: Please update the linux-next location for the RDMA subsystem
       [not found] ` <1510948060.3973.29.camel-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-19  3:56   ` Stephen Rothwell
       [not found]     ` <20171119145633.07a3a715-3FnU+UHB4dNDw9hX6IcOSA@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-11-19  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Ledford; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Jason Gunthorpe

Hi Doug,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:47:40 -0500 Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
> have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
> aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
> next

I have updated to use this and added Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
as a contact.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

@ 2017-11-19  6:46   ` Leon Romanovsky
       [not found]     ` <20171119064640.GV18825-U/DQcQFIOTAAJjI8aNfphQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2017-11-19  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Ledford; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Jason Gunthorpe

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:47:40PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
> have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
> aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
> next

Doug,

Does it make sense to get rid of "k.o" notation for for-next and for-rc branches?
It is already on kernel.org and seems to me as a redundant.

Thanks

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
>     GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD
>     Key fingerprint = AE6B 1BDA 122B 23B4 265B  1274 B826 A333 0E57 2FDD

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2017-11-29 16:12       ` Doug Ledford
       [not found]         ` <9a80e43d-d32a-742b-fa6b-adacb152e8dd-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Doug Ledford @ 2017-11-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Jason Gunthorpe

On 11/19/17 1:46 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:47:40PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
>> have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
>> aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
>> next
>
> Doug,
>
> Does it make sense to get rid of "k.o" notation for for-next and for-rc branches?
> It is already on kernel.org and seems to me as a redundant.

Jason and I talked about this offline.  The reason it's there is
actually more technical than anything else.  In order to have WIP
branches that you want to quickly/easily get on github, but to not have
them pollute k.o with WIP branches that haven't passed 0day yet, the
easy solution is to add this to your .git/config for your kernel repo:

        push = refs/heads/k.o/*:refs/heads/k.o/*
        push = +refs/tags/for-linus*:refs/tags/for-linus*
        push = +refs/tags/for-next*:refs/tags/for-next*
        push = refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master

That keeps only the stuff you really want going to k.o going there, and
everything can then go to your WIP repository.  Going forward, whether
Jason decides to use a github repo for 0day like I do or not, it now has
a second benefit in that we can each have our own private namespace,
which is basically anything not in k.o/, and treat the k.o/ namespace as
a shared namespace where we worry about branch name conflicts, fast
forward only updates, etc.  So, it's redundant to the people pulling,
but I still think it has value for Jason and I.

--

@ 2017-11-29 16:24           ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2017-11-29 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Ledford; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Jason Gunthorpe

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:12:44AM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> On 11/19/17 1:46 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:47:40PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> >> Hi Stephen,
> >>
> >> Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
> >> have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
> >> aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
> >>
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
> >> next
> >
> > Doug,
> >
> > Does it make sense to get rid of "k.o" notation for for-next and for-rc branches?
> > It is already on kernel.org and seems to me as a redundant.
>
> Jason and I talked about this offline.  The reason it's there is
> actually more technical than anything else.  In order to have WIP
> branches that you want to quickly/easily get on github, but to not have
> them pollute k.o with WIP branches that haven't passed 0day yet, the
> easy solution is to add this to your .git/config for your kernel repo:
>
>         push = refs/heads/k.o/*:refs/heads/k.o/*
>         push = +refs/tags/for-linus*:refs/tags/for-linus*
>         push = +refs/tags/for-next*:refs/tags/for-next*
>         push = refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master
>
> That keeps only the stuff you really want going to k.o going there, and
> everything can then go to your WIP repository.  Going forward, whether
> Jason decides to use a github repo for 0day like I do or not, it now has
> a second benefit in that we can each have our own private namespace,
> which is basically anything not in k.o/, and treat the k.o/ namespace as
> a shared namespace where we worry about branch name conflicts, fast
> forward only updates, etc.  So, it's redundant to the people pulling,
> but I still think it has value for Jason and I.

AS long it works for both of you, we can live with that too.

My scheme is similar to you, but with one repo:
 * master - follow Linus's master
 * rdma-next/rdma-rc - submission queues equivalent to your k.o
 * topic/* - for on-going development
 * testing/* - different experiments

Thanks

@ 2018-01-05 18:05       ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]         ` <20180105180548.GD11972-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-05 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Doug Ledford, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 02:56:33PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:47:40 -0500 Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
> > have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
> > aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
> > next
>
> I have updated to use this and added Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
> as a contact.

Thanks Stephen, has been working well!

Is it necessary/desirable for the linux-next GPG keyring to get
updated with my key? See below

commit 6c76eedf431ccc0388d906d43aec3f4c6c24e69e
Merge: 2b5c0f8f7394c2 e4b1851973245d
Author: Stephen Rothwell <sfr-3FnU+UHB4dNDw9hX6IcOSA@public.gmane.org>
Date:   Fri Jan 5 11:34:45 2018 +1100

    Merge remote-tracking branch 'rdma/for-next'

    Automatic RDMA for-next tag

    For Stephen Rothwell's for-next

    # gpg: Signature made Thu 04 Jan 2018 14:12:32 AEDT
    # gpg:                using RSA key 386DF7157E209B1A
    # gpg: Can't check signature: No public key

@ 2018-01-06 15:01           ` Stephen Rothwell
       [not found]             ` <20180107020124.37a7eff1-3FnU+UHB4dNDw9hX6IcOSA@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2018-01-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: Doug Ledford, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Jason,

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:05:48 -0700 Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 02:56:33PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:47:40 -0500 Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
> > > have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
> > > aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
> > >
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
> > > next
> >
> > I have updated to use this and added Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
> > as a contact.
>
> Thanks Stephen, has been working well!

No worries.

> Is it necessary/desirable for the linux-next GPG keyring to get
> updated with my key? See below
>
> commit 6c76eedf431ccc0388d906d43aec3f4c6c24e69e
> Merge: 2b5c0f8f7394c2 e4b1851973245d
> Author: Stephen Rothwell <sfr-3FnU+UHB4dNDw9hX6IcOSA@public.gmane.org>
> Date:   Fri Jan 5 11:34:45 2018 +1100
>
>     Merge remote-tracking branch 'rdma/for-next'
>
>     Automatic RDMA for-next tag
>
>     For Stephen Rothwell's for-next
>
>     # gpg: Signature made Thu 04 Jan 2018 14:12:32 AEDT
>     # gpg:                using RSA key 386DF7157E209B1A
>     # gpg: Can't check signature: No public key

I didn't even know I was doing this :-)  I guess it makes sense since I
am merging a signed tag.  I have imported your gpg key.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

@ 2018-01-10 20:53               ` Doug Ledford
       [not found]                 ` <1515617614.3403.163.camel-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Doug Ledford @ 2018-01-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Sun, 2018-01-07 at 02:01 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:05:48 -0700 Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 02:56:33PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi Doug,

> > > I have updated to use this and added Jason Gunthorpe <jgg-VPRAkNaXOzXQFizaE/u3fw@public.gmane.orgm>
> > > as a contact.
> >
> > Thanks Stephen, has been working well!
>
> No worries.

Hi Stephen,

Jason and I would like you to make another change if you could.  Well,
two actually.  First, we've found that now that we are both pushing to
the same tree, the use of a tag instead of a branch for your for-next
testing is dangerous.  In particular, kernel git repos have a fast-
forward requirement on all branches, so an attempted push to a branch
that has stale data from the pusher (say I just managed to push to the
branch a few minutes before Jason and Jason hasn't pulled my changes
into his branch before he decides to push his) is denied by the post
hooks.  But no such check is in place for tags, and indeed we are
allowed to wipe out tags at will.  This has already been an accident
once, and there is no sense letting it be one again, so we've changed
our workflows to compensate for this fact, and with that change, the
for-next tag will no longer be kept up to date, it will only be pushed
when we are sending a pull request, and that's too late for testing.
From now on, the for-next branch is the canonical source going forward
for testing purposes prior to a pull request.

The second thing is we would like you to also add our for-rc branch.
Most of the time this will be a no-op, but we think there is some value
in making sure that -rc patches aren't going to cause future merge
problems with the for-next branch.

Let me know if we can do those two things.  Thanks!

--

@ 2018-01-11 20:16                   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2018-01-11 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Ledford; +Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Doug,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:53:34 -0500 Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Jason and I would like you to make another change if you could.  Well,
> two actually.  First, we've found that now that we are both pushing to
> the same tree, the use of a tag instead of a branch for your for-next
> testing is dangerous.  In particular, kernel git repos have a fast-
> forward requirement on all branches, so an attempted push to a branch
> that has stale data from the pusher (say I just managed to push to the
> branch a few minutes before Jason and Jason hasn't pulled my changes
> into his branch before he decides to push his) is denied by the post
> hooks.  But no such check is in place for tags, and indeed we are
> allowed to wipe out tags at will.  This has already been an accident
> once, and there is no sense letting it be one again, so we've changed
> our workflows to compensate for this fact, and with that change, the
> for-next tag will no longer be kept up to date, it will only be pushed
> when we are sending a pull request, and that's too late for testing.
> From now on, the for-next branch is the canonical source going forward
> for testing purposes prior to a pull request.
>
> The second thing is we would like you to also add our for-rc branch.
> Most of the time this will be a no-op, but we think there is some value
> in making sure that -rc patches aren't going to cause future merge
> problems with the for-next branch.
>
> Let me know if we can do those two things.  Thanks!

Both done.  The new branch in linux-next is called rdma-fixes.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell