* paravirt driver development
@ 2013-12-15 17:49 Carl Patenaude Poulin
From: Carl Patenaude Poulin @ 2013-12-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi xen-devel,

I am currently developing an experimental operating system, and I would
like to target Xen paravirtualization as a first "hardware" target. I
googled a bit and I can't seem to find specifications or a manual for
driver authorship targeting paravirt. Is there such a resource? For now all
I need to know is how to handle I/O done with a keyboard and console (TTY).

Best regards,

Carl Patenaude Poulin
McGill University

* Re: paravirt driver development
@ 2013-12-16 10:38 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-12-16 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Patenaude Poulin; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sun, 2013-12-15 at 12:49 -0500, Carl Patenaude Poulin wrote:

> I am currently developing an experimental operating system, and I
> would like to target Xen paravirtualization as a first "hardware"
> target. I googled a bit and I can't seem to find specifications or a
> manual for driver authorship targeting paravirt. Is there such a
> resource? For now all I need to know is how to handle I/O done with a
> keyboard and console (TTY).

You could refer to extras/mini-os for a BSD licensed example. Otherwise
there is mostly just the xen/include/public/io headers (some of these
are better commented than others). For keyboard/console you want
xen//include/public/io/console.h and not kbdif.h/pvfb.h (which is for pv
framebuffer and the associated keyboard/mouse). Sadly console.h is one
of the lesser documented examples -- but on the plus side it's one of
the simpler ones since it is just two rings of characters, one in each
direction.
Depending on your licensing constraints there are also examples in Linux
and the BSDs.

"The Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor" (by David Chisnall) looks
like it might cover this topic as well.

If having got it working you were minded to improve the docs in
console.h I, and the next guy, would be very grateful!

Ian.

* Re: paravirt driver development
@ 2013-12-16 11:08 ` Simon Martin
From: Simon Martin @ 2013-12-16 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)