* Shortcoming (oversight) in Windows installer
@ 2021-06-18 22:55 adam.s
From: adam.s @ 2021-06-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I'm new and can't use GitHub/GitLab, but I noticed this about the Windows installer:

Does not add (nor offer to add) "C:\Program Files\qemu" to path.

It should maybe be an optional choice in the installer.

Have a wonderful day!

* Re: Shortcoming (oversight) in Windows installer
@ 2021-06-19 10:03 ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-06-19 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam.s, qemu-devel; +Cc: Stefan Weil

Hi Adam,

On 6/19/21 12:55 AM, adam.s@Safe-mail.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new and can't use GitHub/GitLab,

You don't need to, see how to send a patch here:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

> but I noticed this about the Windows installer:
>
> Does not add (nor offer to add) "C:\Program Files\qemu" to path.
>
> It should maybe be an optional choice in the installer.

Can you try sending a patch via email?

Otherwise thanks for letting the community know ;)

Phil.

* Re: Shortcoming (oversight) in Windows installer
@ 2021-06-19 10:34   ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2021-06-19 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, adam.s, qemu-devel

Am 19.06.21 um 12:03 schrieb Philippe Mathieu-Daudé:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On 6/19/21 12:55 AM, adam.s@Safe-mail.net wrote:
>> but I noticed this about the Windows installer:
>>
>> Does not add (nor offer to add) "C:\Program Files\qemu" to path.
>>
>> It should maybe be an optional choice in the installer.
> Can you try sending a patch via email?

Adding the installation directory to the search path is dangerous on
Windows and can result in an empty path when the length exceeds some
limit:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43014724/how-to-reset-system-variable-path-after-tesseract-installation.

In addition I don't like having a global path setting with lots of
entries for many different programs. That can cause ambiguities if
different path entries include incompatible EXE or DLL files with the
same name. Windows uses PATH not only for finding EXE files but also for
DLL files.

Therefore I would not implement the suggested feature.

I suggest running the QEMU executables by specifying their full name
including their installation directory. And it's also easy to add a
local batch file which sets the right path temporarily.

Regards

Stefan