* aio_fsync
@ 2003-07-18 18:33 Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2003-07-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-aio; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

i'm updating the Documentation/filesystem/Locking document.
i notice that sys_fsync() takes the i_sem before calling ->fsync, but
io_submit_one() does not take i_sem before calling ->aio_fsync.

is this intentional?  do we not need to protect against concurrent
writers as sys_fsync does?

* aio_fsync
@ 2002-11-06 15:23 Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2002-11-06 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: linux-aio, linux-fsdevel

Ben, do you have patches in hand to convert users to aio_fsync?
Currently we have no users in-tree (grepping 2.5.46 for aio_fsync finds
some hpux syscalls, two places you would call it if it were set and the
prototype for it).  It's not covered in Documentation/filesystems/Locking,
nor vfs.txt.

The main problem with converting seems to be nfsd.  kiocb has a struct
file *, but nfsd doesn't have one in nfsd_sync_dir().  We could change the
signature of aio_fsync() to take an inode pointer too (nobody actually
uses the dentry).  But that doesn't seem worth doing.

Alternatives?  Add a struct inode to kiocb?  Bleugh.  Make nfsd use
struct file in various places?  Bleugh.

Should we just remove the aio_fsync pointer from fops until this problem
is solved?  Right now it's just taking up space.