* Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
@ 2003-10-08  1:45 Eric Northup
       [not found] ` <E1A73Nv-0001M5-68-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Eric Northup @ 2003-10-08  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi all,

I have a Shuttle mini-PC currently running linux 2.6-test6 (but I have
seen this issue w/all kernels I've tried, 2.4.x and 2.5.x).  It has a
"smart" fan control, which regulates the speed of the system fan
according to the temperature (a Thermal Zone in ACPI terms, yes?).  The
problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
full speed and stays there.

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest (which claimed to fix a fan speed
problem with Windows), but the problem persists.  So I don't know if it
is a case of pilot error, a Linux bug, or a BIOS bug.  Any help sorting
this out would be much appreciated :)

Please CC me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to acpi-devel.

--Eric

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
       [not found] ` <E1A73Nv-0001M5-68-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-08  8:58   ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-10-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Northup; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:45:03PM -0400, Eric Northup wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Shuttle mini-PC currently running linux 2.6-test6 (but I have
> seen this issue w/all kernels I've tried, 2.4.x and 2.5.x).  It has a
> "smart" fan control, which regulates the speed of the system fan
> according to the temperature (a Thermal Zone in ACPI terms, yes?).  The
> problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
> full speed and stays there.
>
> I have flashed the BIOS to the latest (which claimed to fix a fan speed
> problem with Windows), but the problem persists.  So I don't know if it
> is a case of pilot error, a Linux bug, or a BIOS bug.  Any help sorting
> this out would be much appreciated :)
>
> Please CC me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to acpi-devel.

please send me your dsdt (or better make it available in
a web site, or ftp..) via something like that:

wget http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads/pmtools-20010730.tar.gz
tar xzvfp pmtools-20010730.tar.gz
cd pmtools-20010730/acpidmp
make
sudo ./acpidmp DSDT > dsdt
gzip dsdt

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
       [not found] ` <E1A73Nv-0001M5-68-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-08  9:25   ` Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2003-10-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f
  Cc: digitale-eFwX6J65rk/J8bqQQ1YlwQ

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:45:03PM -0400, Eric Northup wrote:
> I have a Shuttle mini-PC currently running linux 2.6-test6 (but I have
> seen this issue w/all kernels I've tried, 2.4.x and 2.5.x).  It has a
> "smart" fan control, which regulates the speed of the system fan
> according to the temperature (a Thermal Zone in ACPI terms, yes?).  The
> problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
> full speed and stays there.

I assume you've enabled ACPI? To what extent does it work? I.e. are
there errors in dmesg (try compiling with debug support?), what parts
of /proc/acpi appear functional (temperature, fan)?

If it sort of works, it could be an issue with the DSDT. Check
acpi.sf.net for information on how to extract this.

There might also be some BIOS options that affect this. In particular,
a few sites seem to suggest problems with certain APIC options.

> I have flashed the BIOS to the latest (which claimed to fix a fan speed
> problem with Windows), but the problem persists.  So I don't know if it
> is a case of pilot error, a Linux bug, or a BIOS bug.  Any help sorting
> this out would be much appreciated :)

Shuttle seem to be quite supportive of Linux from what I can tell by
checking their web site. So if this turns out to be a BIOS/DSDT
problem, maybe you could get them to update it.

Cheers
Robert

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
       [not found] ` <E1A73Nv-0001M5-68-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-09 20:10   ` =?unknown-8bit?Q?=C9ric?= Brunet
From: =?unknown-8bit?Q?=C9ric?= Brunet @ 2003-10-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Northup; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit, Size: 1280 bytes --]

Hello,

I have a SB51G, which should be very similar to your shuttle.

In my case, ACPI module does not change the fan speed, but loading the
lm_sensors kernel module (i2c) does. The reason is that the modules
writers, as they don't have all the specs they need, find it safer to
reinitialize the whole sensors.

Do you have the sensors loaded or compiled in ? If this is actually the
cause of the problem, and if you really want sensors in your kernel,
removing the reinitialization is really a one-liner.

Éric Brunet
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:45:03PM -0400, Eric Northup wrote:
> I have a Shuttle mini-PC currently running linux 2.6-test6 (but I have
> seen this issue w/all kernels I've tried, 2.4.x and 2.5.x).  It has a
> "smart" fan control, which regulates the speed of the system fan
> according to the temperature (a Thermal Zone in ACPI terms, yes?).  The
> problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
> full speed and stays there.

* Re: Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
       [not found] ` <E1A7IkI-0004qc-8W-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-09 19:03   ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-10-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Northup; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:09:10PM -0400, Eric Northup wrote:
> > > problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
> > > full speed and stays there.
> [snip]
> > please send me your dsdt (or better make it available in
> > a web site, or ftp..) via something like that:
> >
> [snip]
>
> I've posted it at http://www.digitaleric.net/dsdt.gz

Thanks.  Could you please give me a lspci -xxx -v?
Cheers,

--

@ 2003-10-08 22:55   ` Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2003-10-08 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Northup; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:09:10PM -0400, Eric Northup wrote:
> I've posted it at http://www.digitaleric.net/dsdt.gz

Thanks.

I think that for fan control via ACPI to work, the fan device should
specify an associated power resource that provides _ON/_OFF methods
for starting and stopping the fan. Your DSDT doesn't appear to do
that.

You could try calling FON/FOFF manually to see if those methods work,
at least. I don't know how to best do this, though. When I did that
kind of testing, I modified the asus_acpi module. But maybe there's an
easier way to do this?

If these work, and the missing power resource thing is correct, maybe
you could add one to your DSDT? You should be able to find working
code in some of the DSDTs posted on acpi.sf.net. FYI, the relevant
code for the ASUS M2N is

Name (FAN1, 0x00)

Device (FN00)
{
    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0B"))

    Name (_PR0, Package (0x01)
    {
        GFAN
    })
}

PowerResource (GFAN, 0x00, 0x0000)
{
    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
        Return (FAN1)
    }

    Method (_ON, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
        Store (0x01, FAN1)
    }

    Method (_OFF, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
        Store (0x00, FAN1)
    }
}

If you modified _ON to call FON and _OFF to call FOFF, and adapted
your fan device to reference the power resource, this might work. Of
course, it's quite possible that it won't, especially since fan
control in that notebook doesn't really work as suggested by the ACPI
spec. Also, please note that a lot of this is speculation.

>  I also re-compiled the kernel with ACPI debugging enabled.  Here is the
> relevant (I think) part of dmesg (I can put the whole thing but its long
> so I'm not sending it unless it would be helpful)

As far as I can tell, this is OK. Temperature reporting also appears
to work.

Cheers
Robert

* Re: Shuttle SB61G2 fan speed
@ 2003-10-08 18:09 Eric Northup
       [not found] ` <E1A7IkI-0004qc-8W-6vcCkRnH9/iXl4vLVl4uKAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Eric Northup @ 2003-10-08 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> > problem is: as soon as Linux gets control from GRUB, the fan goes to
> > full speed and stays there.
[snip]
> please send me your dsdt (or better make it available in
> a web site, or ftp..) via something like that:

[snip]

I've posted it at http://www.digitaleric.net/dsdt.gz
 I also re-compiled the kernel with ACPI debugging enabled.  Here is the
relevant (I think) part of dmesg (I can put the whole thing but its long
so I'm not sending it unless it would be helpful)

[eric@localhost tmp]$ dmesg | grep [Aa][Cc][pP][iI]
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20030813
 tbxface-0117 [03] acpi_load_tables      : ACPI Tables successfully acquired
ACPI Namespace successfully loaded at root c05fa11c
evxfevnt-0093 [04] acpi_enable           : Transition to ACPI mode
successful
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.HUB0._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 *12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 *5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 *10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs *3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15, disabled)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK0] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15, disabled)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK1] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 *9 10 11 12 14 15)
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
PCI: if you experience problems, try using option 'pci=noacpi' or even
'acpi=off '
ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
ACPI: Fan [FAN] (on)
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports C1)
ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports C1)
ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (35 C)
cpufreq: No CPUs supporting ACPI performance management found.
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)