* from where are the devlabel  messages in /var/log/message
@ 2003-10-14 14:35 sting sting
From: sting sting @ 2003-10-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,
I know about the devlabel messages in /var/log/messages ; from where do they
stem ?
; I read about it in the author website (http://www.lerhaupt.com/linux.html)
but there was very little info , amd also the devlabel tar.gz does not
contain much.

I understood that it has to do with symbolic links.

It is installed on my Linux platform (as part of the Linux installation );
Now , I wat to know what is the origin of the devlabel messages in the
log file ?
These  messages consist the following text :  "devlabel: devlabel service
started/restarted"
I had searched under the 2.4.20-8 sources for "devlabel" and could not fnd
anything.

what is the  kermel origin of these devlabel  messages ?
regards,
john

* Re: from where are the devlabel  messages in /var/log/message
@ 2003-10-14 21:23 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-10-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sting sting; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:35:13PM +0200, sting sting wrote:

> what is the  kermel origin of these devlabel  messages ?

There is no kernel orgin of these messages.  The devlabel program is
being run from the hotplug scripts, which run when a device is plugged
in or removed from the system.  All in userspace.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h