* Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-13 12:48 Joaquin Corchero
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joaquin Corchero @ 2004-01-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Good morning.

I'm quite new in Linux administration, and I need some help with this, so I
thank you in advance for any help I can get from you.

The problem that I have is the next.

I have a Linux Red Hat Linux 9 i386 installed in a live environment,
everything is working properly, I think, but when I try to apply the errata
from the redhat network, it doesn't do it, I don't get any error message,
but when I go to the red hat network website and I check my system says that
it couldn't apply the updates..

The errata that I'm having problems with are:

RHSA-2003:135
RHSA-2003:172
RHSA-2003:187
RHSA-2003:238
RHBA-2003:263
RHSA-2003:392
RHBA-2003:394
RHSA-2003:417

I don't have any idea of where to find logs to check where the problem is.

Thank you for your help

Joaquin Corchero

* Re: Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-13 20:08 ` Jeff Funk
       [not found]   ` <BAY10-DAV50Vn26mp8v000330a0@hotmail.com>
From: Jeff Funk @ 2004-01-13 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

On January 13, 2004 06:48 am, Joaquin Corchero wrote:
> I don't have any idea of where to find logs to check where the problem is.

Log files are normally found in /var/log.  If you are using up2date, the log
file is by default /var/log/up2date

--
Jeff

* Re: Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-14 14:47 ` Joaquin Corchero
From: Joaquin Corchero @ 2004-01-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

I have checked the log, but there is no information about the possible
failure of the update.

Any idea????

Thank you

Joaquin Corchero

@ 2004-01-14 15:37     ` Jeff Funk
From: Jeff Funk @ 2004-01-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joaquin Corchero; +Cc: linux-admin

On January 14, 2004 04:54 am, you wrote:
> In the log there is no information about problems, any idea??
>
> This is the content of the log file:
>

> [Tue Jan 13 13:04:52 2004] up2date logging into up2date server
> [Tue Jan 13 13:04:53 2004] up2date successfully retrieved authentication
> token from up2date server
> [Tue Jan 13 13:04:56 2004] up2date updating login info
> [Tue Jan 13 13:04:56 2004] up2date logging into up2date server
> [Tue Jan 13 13:04:57 2004] up2date successfully retrieved authentication
> token from up2date server

<snip>

Try running up2date by command line with xterm or whatever you like using.
Maybe it will show you something that is not being logged??  What version of
up2date are you running?

Jeff

* Re: Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-14 16:09 ` Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2004-01-14 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

At 04:48 AM 01/13/2004, you wrote:
>Good morning.

<snip>

>I have a Linux Red Hat Linux 9 i386 installed in a live environment,
>everything is working properly, I think, but when I try to apply the errata
>from the redhat network, it doesn't do it, I don't get any error message,
>but when I go to the red hat network website and I check my system says that
>it couldn't apply the updates..

Is this the first time you run it after a new install?  Have you changed
the name of the system since you registered it?

FYI: RH9 will not be supported for much longer.  Unless you plan to pay RH
for it's working distro and support I would suggest a different
distribution. :(

 From RedHat Support:

Try wget -q -O - https://rhn.redhat.com/help/new-cert.sh | /bin/bash

Then you can run "up2date up2date".

Good luck

Scott.

* Re: Where does Apache serve webpages in Redhat?
@ 2004-01-14 16:14         ` Darío Mariani
From: Darío Mariani @ 2004-01-14 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eve Atley; +Cc: linux-admin

/var/www and/or check /etc/httpd

@ 2004-01-14 16:22   ` Thomas Steudten
From: Thomas Steudten @ 2004-01-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Taylor; +Cc: linux-admin

>  From RedHat Support:
>
> Try wget -q -O - https://rhn.redhat.com/help/new-cert.sh | /bin/bash
Welcome to the world of new viruses and trojans..
Please check the contents of the shell-script before, AND never, never ..
do this as root from which server ever.

* Re: Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-14 16:41     ` Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2004-01-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

At 08:22 AM 01/14/2004, Thomas Steudten wrote:

>>  From RedHat Support:
>>Try wget -q -O - https://rhn.redhat.com/help/new-cert.sh | /bin/bash
>Welcome to the world of new viruses and trojans..
>Please check the contents of the shell-script before, AND never, never ..
>do this as root from which server ever.

?

Did you find something of interest that you would like to share with the
rest of us?

* Re: Error Appliying Errata Updates
@ 2004-01-14 16:54     ` Joaquin Corchero
From: Joaquin Corchero @ 2004-01-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi and thank you for your answer, but nothing,

I tried what you suggested me and this is the result:

The file /usr/share/rhn/RHNS-CA-CERT has already been updated.
No further action is necessary.

Any other suggestion will be very appreciated

Thnak you again for your help

Joaquin Corchero

@ 2004-01-14 19:00       ` Eve Atley
From: Eve Atley @ 2004-01-14 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

I am running Redhat 9.0 and have Apache installed. 'whereis apache' command pulled up several Apache directories. I know where Apache is located on a Mac OS X platform, but am new to Linux - can someone please tell me where I need to install webpages to serve them?

Thanks!

- Eve

* Mozilla (was: Where does Apache serve webpages in Redhat?)
@ 2004-01-14 19:21           ` Eve Atley
From: Eve Atley @ 2004-01-14 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Thanks for the assistance on this question; appears to be /var/www/html. I
was going to test it running localhost, but now I can't launch Mozilla.
Anyone know what I can do to fix an error of "Cannot Launch Icon: Details:
Failed to execute child process "mozilla" (no such file or directory)"?

Thanks again,
Eve

* Re: Where does Apache serve webpages in Redhat?
@ 2004-01-15  2:14         ` Jon Fullmer
From: Jon Fullmer @ 2004-01-15  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eve Atley, linux-admin

On virtually any platform, when in doubt, seek ye the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf
file.  The entry that you're looking for is "DocumentRoot".  This will tell
you where Apache stores the files by default.  I'm not positive where it is
by default on RH9, but my guess would be /usr/local/httpd/htdocs.

If you're feeling confident, this would be a good time to change this entry
to a location that suits you best.  You'll need to reload apache (usually
"/etc/init.d/apache reload" in RedHat) whenever you make a change.

Hope that helps.

 - Jon

on 1/14/04 12:00 PM, Eve Atley at eatley@wow-corp.com wrote:

> I am running Redhat 9.0 and have Apache installed. 'whereis apache' command
> pulled up several Apache directories. I know where Apache is located on a Mac
> OS X platform, but am new to Linux - can someone please tell me where I need
> to install webpages to serve them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Eve
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in

* Re: Mozilla (was: Where does Apache serve webpages in Redhat?)
@ 2004-01-15  2:16             ` Jon Fullmer
From: Jon Fullmer @ 2004-01-15  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eve Atley, linux-admin

Mozilla is either not installed or not in your $PATH variable.  You can see
what's in your $PATH variable by typing "echo $PATH."  You can add to what's
in your PATH variable by editing (or creating) the ".profile" file in your
home directory or the /etc/profile file to be global across all users.

 - Jon

@ 2004-01-19 16:01       ` Joaquin Corchero
From: Joaquin Corchero @ 2004-01-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin