* RE: smartbattery support
@ 2004-10-08  8:39 Li, Shaohua
       [not found] ` <16A54BF5D6E14E4D916CE26C9AD30575457124-4yWAQGcml66iAffOGbnezLfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Li, Shaohua @ 2004-10-08  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ducrot, Pedro Venda; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

>On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:43:20PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:
>> You needed an EC-based SMBus host driver (IIRC, some Acer latops
defined
>> such host in DSDT). ACPI spec has the definition for EC-based SMBus
host
>> interface. Second, a sensor driver for reading smart battery
information
>> is required.
>>

>Some times ago, for a toshiba laptop, I began an i2c-acpi-ec driver:
>ftp://ftp.poupinou.org/acpi/i2c-acpi-ec.c
>
>It's a little bit buggy though but this allowed for me to access the
>sensors
>behind the EC.  The main trouble was that there were not actually a
>smbus declared in the ACPI namespace and it was needed to hardcode
where
>is the base adress in the EC space.
>You may try to start with that maybe, and I guess a real
acpi_ec_smb_probe
>function must be written.
Some Acer laptops define the SMBus host as below:
  		Device (SMBC)
                    {
                        Name (_HID, "ACPI0001")
                        Name (_EC, 0x1820)
                        Device (SBS0)
                        {
                            Name (_HID, "ACPI0002")
                            Name (_SBS, 0x02)
                        }
                    }
The base address and the notification number are defined on the _EC
method.
Please check if you system has such definition.

Thanks,
Shaohua

* RE: smartbattery support
@ 2004-10-12  1:03 Li, Shaohua
       [not found] ` <16A54BF5D6E14E4D916CE26C9AD305754B4711-4yWAQGcml66iAffOGbnezLfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Li, Shaohua @ 2004-10-12  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Venda, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

In this case, the EC based SMBus host isn't EC. Actually it's a child of
EC. You must use its HID (ACPI0001) to find it. I suggest you write a
new driver for the SMBus host.

Thanks,
Shaohua

ITManagersJournal
>Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give
us
>Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out
more
>http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl

* RE: smartbattery support
@ 2004-10-07 13:43 Li, Shaohua
       [not found] ` <16A54BF5D6E14E4D916CE26C9AD30575456AB2-4yWAQGcml66iAffOGbnezLfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Li, Shaohua @ 2004-10-07 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Venda, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f; +Cc: Pavel Machek

You needed an EC-based SMBus host driver (IIRC, some Acer latops defined
such host in DSDT). ACPI spec has the definition for EC-based SMBus host
interface. Second, a sensor driver for reading smart battery information
is required.

Thanks,
Shaohua

* smartbattery support
@ 2004-10-05 21:00 Pedro Venda
       [not found] ` <41630B6D.2000107-aHmAgkVUFT6Joy8PIJZ9VA@public.gmane.org>
From: Pedro Venda @ 2004-10-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

hi everyone,

i decided to change the subject so that the thread could more easily be
followed by others.

i read some things also, but i disagree with christian. i think that
smbus patch is not the way to go. don't get me wrong! i'm also just
scratching the surface. for what i read, those patches put smbus bios
support into the kernel.

i feel that the i2c approach would be much more productive. now i have
some doubts...

1. is this a "sensor" i2c driver? i mean, should we find help with the
lmsensors team? there are some debugging tools for i2c developed by the
lm-sensors people (i guess). this document
(http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/SUMMARY)
refers some smartbattery support, but i don't think it solves our problem.
2. what exactly should the i2c driver do? should it just know the
smartbattery address and ask generic questions made by userland
programs? or should it do all the work and retrive charge rates and
capacity information and such?

enough questions for now.

again, don't take me wrong. it is possible that i am thinking in a
totally wrong direction.

regards,
pedro venda.