* How much easier makes owning a BDI2000 things?
@ 2004-11-08 14:33 Peter Asemann
From: Peter Asemann @ 2004-11-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

The tutorials in the web I read about getting custom hardware running
suggest that having some BDI-thing like an Abatron BDI2000 is a really
good idea.

Actually I need some arguments to have such a device bought. How much
easier does it make things?

Peter Asemann

* Re: How much easier makes owning a BDI2000 things?
@ 2004-11-09 17:27 ` Conn Clark
From: Conn Clark @ 2004-11-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Asemann; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Peter Asemann wrote:
> The tutorials in the web I read about getting custom hardware running
> suggest that having some BDI-thing like an Abatron BDI2000 is a really
> good idea.
>
> Actually I need some arguments to have such a device bought. How much
> easier does it make things?
>
> Peter Asemann

	Its worth it weight in gold bringing up custom boards the first time
and writing/debuging the boot rom. It allows you to change register
values for esential functions such as PLL setings, memory timings and
peripheral configuration. This is very handy because you can figure out
the values you need before you write the boot rom software. It also
allows you to reprogram flash memory in circuit. To do it without this
you would need to have removable flash/roms and remove, reprogram and
replace them each attempt. I would imagine doing that would get old very
fast.

	We haven't used ours much for debugging once things were up and
running(we have fallen back to using printk statements for debugging).
Though it can be used for that and some core kernel developers do use
it. (probably for debugging the printk code of the kernel  ;-)  )

	In production we use it to program the boot rom on brand new boards. It
is also occasionaly usefull in finding faults in boards that don't want
to come up.

	To sum things up let me put it this way. I could theoretically bring up
a board without one. I can't imagine how much longer it would take to do
so however.

-- Conn Clark

Give a man a match and you heat him for a moment. Set him on fire
and you'll heat him for life.

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark@esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com

Stock Ticker Symbol				ELST

* Re: How much easier makes owning a BDI2000 things?
@ 2004-11-09 19:51   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-11-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conn Clark; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

In message <4190FE1F.4080105@esteem.com> you wrote:

> 	Its worth it weight in gold bringing up custom boards the first time
> and writing/debuging the boot rom. It allows you to change register

... or when debugging the Linux kernel, device drivers and especially
RTAI real-time modules (because you can really freeze the CPU  state,
including timers etc.).

> 	We haven't used ours much for debugging once things were up and
> running(we have fallen back to using printk statements for debugging).
> Though it can be used for that and some core kernel developers do use
> it. (probably for debugging the printk code of the kernel  ;-)  )

Seems you never had to deal with any time critical problems, then.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de

* Re: How much easier makes owning a BDI2000 things?
@ 2004-11-10  1:05     ` Conn Clark
From: Conn Clark @ 2004-11-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <4190FE1F.4080105@esteem.com> you wrote:
>
>>	Its worth it weight in gold bringing up custom boards the first time
>>and writing/debuging the boot rom. It allows you to change register
>

> ... or when debugging the Linux kernel, device drivers and especially
> RTAI real-time modules (because you can really freeze the CPU  state,
> including timers etc.).
>

>>	We haven't used ours much for debugging once things were up and
>>running(we have fallen back to using printk statements for debugging).
>>Though it can be used for that and some core kernel developers do use
>>it. (probably for debugging the printk code of the kernel  ;-)  )
>

> Seems you never had to deal with any time critical problems, then.

	I have, however I used I/O bits and an Oscilliscope ;-)

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best Regards

@ 2004-11-11  7:22       ` Sam Song
From: Sam Song @ 2004-11-11  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Conn Clark <clark@esteem.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
[snip]
> > Seems you never had to deal with any time critical
> > problems, then.
> >

> I have, however I used I/O bits and an Oscilliscope
> ;-)

But how about the time you solved the problem? Suppose
a sudden power failure happened and the monitor port
of your custom board couldn't give any output. Could
you find the problem in no time like 5 - 10 minutes at
most? I met this problem twice on my custom board. It
took me one night to find out the problem at first
under help of BDI2000 and Oscilliscope without any
experience. The problem was SDRAM damage. And BDI2000
helped me make sure that 4 SDRAM chips on board were
all broken. Second time, I just found out the real
problem in 10 minutes or so with BDI2000. There were 2
broken of 4 parallel FLASH chips in 8-bit.

So, IMHO, for the sake of efficiency and accurateness,
BDI2000 is much better than Oscilliscope, at least in
time critical situation like trouble shooting.

=====
Best regards,

Sam

150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
http://music.yisou.com/
美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
http://image.yisou.com
1G就是1000兆,雅虎电邮自助扩容!
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

* RE: How much easier makes owning a BDI2000 things?
@ 2004-11-08 14:44 VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE)
From: VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) @ 2004-11-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Asemann, linuxppc-embedded

42 times easier.

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain=
 confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the=
 individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to=
 legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should=
 notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from=
 your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any=
 purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or=
 opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do=
 not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should=
 check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The=
 company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or=
 indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.