* RivaFB on Geforce FX 5200
@ 2004-11-09 12:58 Oded Shimon
From: Oded Shimon @ 2004-11-09 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to get the rivafb module to work on my Geforce FX, i used the
rivatv program as reference to simply add the PCI device to the list of
supported devices in riva/fbdev.c . After which I was surprised to find out
that after compiling and making a module it successfully modprobed, created
the /dev/fb device, and MPlayer and X used it happily.
I now managed to get it to work for FB console as well, but it has some
issues, and I really have no idea about the causes and solutions to these
problems.

One problem is when switching from X back to FB console, I can still see the X
cache (at the different res and color depth, it simply looks like noise...),
until some kind of modification has happenned in the console.
If i run any kind of program which modifies the frame buffer, for ex. fbset or
ppmtofb, the FB console is irreversibly ruined until reboot. (it looks mostly
like noise which you can barely make out the console text underneath).
The worst problem - no penguin at boot up. :(  There is a black bar in the
area where its supposed to be, but no image...
My guess is the cause for most of these problem is me causing the driver to
think it can support my card, when it doesn't really have all the kinks
sorted out...

Up until now I've always used vesafb, and the "nvidia" binary module for X...
vesa is slow though, which is why I am trying to get rivafb to work.. I also
recently realized that the free "nv" module support geforce FX,  and it works
good on my X...

- ods15

* Re: RivaFB on Geforce FX 5200
@ 2004-11-09 20:11 ` Janusz Dziemidowicz
From: Janusz Dziemidowicz @ 2004-11-09 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Shimon; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Oded Shimon wrote:

> One problem is when switching from X back to FB console, I can still see the X
> cache (at the different res and color depth, it simply looks like noise...),
> until some kind of modification has happenned in the console.
> If i run any kind of program which modifies the frame buffer, for ex. fbset or
> ppmtofb, the FB console is irreversibly ruined until reboot. (it looks mostly
> like noise which you can barely make out the console text underneath).
> The worst problem - no penguin at boot up. :(  There is a black bar in the
> area where its supposed to be, but no image...
> My guess is the cause for most of these problem is me causing the driver to
> think it can support my card, when it doesn't really have all the kinks
> sorted out...

Hi,
I assume You are trying to use rivafb with nvidia binary drivers? If
that's the case, then here's an excerpt from NVIDIA README file:

Q: My system hangs when vt-switching if I have rivafb enabled.

A: Using both rivafb and the NVIDIA kernel module at the same time is
    currently broken.  In general, using two independent software drivers
    to drive the same piece of hardware is a bad idea.

So it is unlikely to make this two drivers to work together.

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz
rraptorr@nails.eu.org

* Re: RivaFB on Geforce FX 5200
@ 2004-11-09 20:32   ` Oded Shimon
From: Oded Shimon @ 2004-11-09 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 22:11, Janusz Dziemidowicz wrote:
> I assume You are trying to use rivafb with nvidia binary drivers? If
> that's the case, then here's an excerpt from NVIDIA README file:
Nope, during all my rivafb "development", X was either off or on using module
'nv', which so far is co-operating very well with rivafb.

When I first had trouble modprobing rivafb, and it wasn't finding the device,
I figured it was cause of "nvidia".. later realized it was because of
"vesafb", oh well....

Anyway, I got rivafb to actually work pretty well, most of the problems were
solved with a small modification made from the X nv source, and now only
these problems are left:

1. When switching from X back to console, there's still the ugly X cache
visible, to fix all what is needed is a ^L or switch to tty2 and back (ie,
"refresh" the screen)... not a serious issue, but a little annoying.
2. Still no boot up penguin. :(   Strangely, the black bar where its supposed
to be still exist... I'm clueless.

Since those are the only 2 problems left, I am now preparing a patch to send
here... stay tuned...

- ods15