* ibm emac driver update
@ 2005-12-12 17:26 Simon Haynes
From: Simon Haynes @ 2005-12-12 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

I am running a Ebony board with linux-2.6.12-rc1 and I amd having intermittent
network problems. Having searched the archives it would seem that the driver
for the IBM EMAC is buggy ?

I have tried to patch my kernel with

http://kernel.ebsname.net/emac/4xx_napi_emac.diff

I believe this is almost a total driver re-write. Is this correct ?

After having a couple of problems applying the patch, Kconfig and
ibm_emac_core.c. I fixed up the original code and applied the patch.

On compilation the build fails with missing references to kzalloc,
which I guess I could easily fix with kmalloc and memset.

However there is also an undefined field,  dcr_base, in the ocp_func_mal_data
structure.  This structure appears to be defined in include/asm/ibm_ocp.h and
this file does not appear to be changed by the patch. I guess this patch is
for a later kernel.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable patch for this kernel ?

Many Thanks

Simon.

* Re: ibm emac driver update
@ 2005-12-12 18:14 ` Eugene Surovegin
From: Eugene Surovegin @ 2005-12-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Haynes; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 05:26:34PM +0000, Simon Haynes wrote:
> I am running a Ebony board with linux-2.6.12-rc1 and I amd having intermittent
> network problems. Having searched the archives it would seem that the driver
> for the IBM EMAC is buggy ?
>
> I have tried to patch my kernel with
>
> http://kernel.ebsname.net/emac/4xx_napi_emac.diff
>
> I believe this is almost a total driver re-write. Is this correct ?
>
> After having a couple of problems applying the patch, Kconfig and
> ibm_emac_core.c. I fixed up the original code and applied the patch.
>
> On compilation the build fails with missing references to kzalloc,
> which I guess I could easily fix with kmalloc and memset.
>
> However there is also an undefined field,  dcr_base, in the ocp_func_mal_data
> structure.  This structure appears to be defined in include/asm/ibm_ocp.h and
> this file does not appear to be changed by the patch. I guess this patch is
> for a later kernel.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable patch for this kernel ?

I'm not sure about 2.6.12-rc1, but you can try GIT tree/patches at
http://kernel.ebshome.net.

Hint: you can assume that in addition to emac_3-2.6-28.diff, there are
also emac_3-2.6-NN.diff (NN < 28) on my website which were made for
earlier kernel versions :).

Alternatively, you can backport all relevant stuff from current 2.6 or
you can pay someone to do this for you.

--
Eugene

* Re: ibm emac driver update
@ 2005-12-12 20:40 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2005-12-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Haynes; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

In message <200512121726.34944.simon@baydel.com> you wrote:
> I am running a Ebony board with linux-2.6.12-rc1 and I amd having intermittent
> network problems. Having searched the archives it would seem that the driver
> for the IBM EMAC is buggy ?

Patches have been posted on this list. See the archives.

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable patch for this kernel ?

We have all this integrated and tested in our kernel tree. Links:
Source Code:
  git repository: 	http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-denx.git
  FTP Snapshot: 	ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/linux/linux-2.6.15-rc2-2005-12-03-2208.tar.bz2
Ready to run code for AMCC's Eval Kits:
  U-Boot images: 	ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/images/amcc/
  Linux images: 	ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/linux/images/amcc/
Documentation: 		http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/BoardSelect

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
We have found all life forms in the galaxy are  capable  of  superior
development.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3211.7

* How to add external 16550 to TQM850L board?
@ 2005-12-13  1:54   ` zhou.yutao
From: zhou.yutao @ 2005-12-13  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hello,
Could you tell me where to set base address and IRQ in kernel?mabe in
serial.c or correlative head file? I searched the list mails and found
somebody said there are explanation in DENX CVS LABEL_2003_03_11_2055 to
LABEL_2003_03_11_2110,but how can I get them?

Thank you!

深圳市高新区W1-A栋4楼
tel:0755-26525674-8602

信息安全声明:本邮件包含信息归ZTE所有,
ZTE对该邮件拥有所有权利。请接收者注意
保密,未经发件人书面许可,不得向任何第
三方组织和个人透露本邮件所含信息的全部
或部分。以上声明仅适用于工作邮件。
Information Security  Notice:
The information contained in this mail is
solely property of  ZTE Corporation.
This mail communication is confidential.
Recipients named above are obligated to
maintain secrecy and are not permitted to
disclose the contents of this communication
to others.

* Re: ibm emac driver update
@ 2005-12-13 14:35   ` Simon Haynes
From: Simon Haynes @ 2005-12-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Eugine,

Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with git and I do not
have it installed on my system. I have looked for rpms and
tried to build git. It seems that I will need to make a lot of changes
to my system to get this going.

In a response from Wolfgang he lists a url which can be used to access
his git tree via a browser. I can not find these patch files on his git tree
but I was wondering if you made the files available in a similar way.

Alternatively can you mail the file to me ?

Or can you tell me if the files are somewhere on

http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-denx.git

If not I guess I will just have to get all the bits together to run
git and learn how to drive it.

Many Thanks

Simon.

@ 2005-12-13 18:44   ` Simon Haynes
From: Simon Haynes @ 2005-12-13 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugene Surovegin; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Monday 12 December 2005 18:14, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 05:26:34PM +0000, Simon Haynes wrote:
> > I am running a Ebony board with linux-2.6.12-rc1 and I amd having
> > intermittent network problems. Having searched the archives it would seem
> > that the driver for the IBM EMAC is buggy ?
> >
> > I have tried to patch my kernel with
> >
> > http://kernel.ebsname.net/emac/4xx_napi_emac.diff
> >
> > I believe this is almost a total driver re-write. Is this correct ?
> >
> > After having a couple of problems applying the patch, Kconfig and
> > ibm_emac_core.c. I fixed up the original code and applied the patch.
> >
> > On compilation the build fails with missing references to kzalloc,
> > which I guess I could easily fix with kmalloc and memset.
> >
> > However there is also an undefined field,  dcr_base, in the
> > ocp_func_mal_data structure.  This structure appears to be defined in
> > include/asm/ibm_ocp.h and this file does not appear to be changed by the
> > patch. I guess this patch is for a later kernel.
> >
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable patch for this kernel
> > ?
>
> I'm not sure about 2.6.12-rc1, but you can try GIT tree/patches at
> http://kernel.ebshome.net.
>
> Hint: you can assume that in addition to emac_3-2.6-28.diff, there are
> also emac_3-2.6-NN.diff (NN < 28) on my website which were made for
> earlier kernel versions :).
>
> Alternatively, you can backport all relevant stuff from current 2.6 or
> you can pay someone to do this for you.

I have eventually got git going. I am not familiar with it but following a
tutorial I did

git clone rsync://kernel.ebshome.net/linux-2.6-emac.git
cd linux-2.6-emac
git checkout

I then ran find looking for a patches dir and could not find one.

Could you please tell me how to locate the emac_3-2.6-NN.diff files.

Cheers

Simon