* nfs-client 2.6.20 bizarre ro-mount
@ 2007-03-01 15:25 Ulrich Gemkow
From: Ulrich Gemkow @ 2007-03-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Hello,

I have a rather bizare problems with the nfs-client in
Linux 2.6.20, the previously used kernel 2.6.17 worked fine:

For one specific filesystem, which is exported rw, the client
mounts the filesystem (according to /proc/mounts) as ro
despite the fact that the mount-command asks to mount
it rw.

When doing a "mount -o remount,rw ..." after the first mount
the filesystem is writable and all is fine (and /proc/mounts
shows the mountpoint as "rw").

To make things more interesting, when doing a second mount
after the rw-remount, the mount is writable. So it seems
that the _first_ mount for the mountpoint fails.

The mountpoint is located in a ramdisc.

The problem does not happen with client kernel 2.6.17. The
configuration besides the kernel is unchanged. It only happens
with one filesystem, other filesystems from the same server
are mounted rw as requested. For us it is always reproducible
for all our clients. I found nothing special for this problematic
filesystem.

Server kernel is Linux vanilla 2.6.17 (unchanged), distribution
is Fedora Core 6 for client and server.

I checked really careful that nothing else besides the kernel
changes in the systems and that there is no obvious "user error".

Has anyone a glue? The workaround is simple (remount) but I
do not understand the changed behaviour.

Thanks in advance

-Ulrich

--