* acpi on sony vaio vgn-sz61mn
@ 2009-06-17 13:43 Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

Hello everyone!

Thank you to everyone working on the sony stuff! It made my laptop a
much more valuable companion!

But there are still some flaws that are left. I am writing to get an
advise what to do with them. Should i post them to bugtrackter or
something else?

Ok, the problems are:

- The special button s2 generates the same acpi event as the stamina switch
- The lidswitch does not generate any acpi events
- The Power does not generate any acpi events

Please tell me what i can do and how i can help solve these problems.

If i am totaly wrong here please say...

regards

       sebastian

* Re: acpi on sony vaio vgn-sz61mn
@ 2009-06-18  0:58 ` Zhang Rui
From: Zhang Rui @ 2009-06-18  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 21:43 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Thank you to everyone working on the sony stuff! It made my laptop a
> much more valuable companion!
>
> But there are still some flaws that are left. I am writing to get an
> advise what to do with them.

> Ok, the problems are:
>
> - The special button s2 generates the same acpi event as the stamina switch
> - The lidswitch does not generate any acpi events
> - The Power does not generate any acpi events

please kill acpid, and run "cat /proc/acpi/event", what do you get when
pressing each of the three buttons?

run "cat /proc/interrupts" both before and after pressing these buttons,
does the number of ACPI or sony interrupts increase?
If ACPI interrupts increases, please run
"grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/*" and tell us which GPE/Fixed
event is fired.

> Should i post them to bugtrackter or
> something else?

please file a new bug report at
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=ACPI
and attach all the request info there.
please also attach the acpidump output.

thanks,
rui

* Re: acpi on sony vaio vgn-sz61mn
@ 2009-06-18  2:16 ` Mattia Dongili
From: Mattia Dongili @ 2009-06-18  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 03:43:22PM +0200, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Thank you to everyone working on the sony stuff! It made my laptop a
> much more valuable companion!
>
> But there are still some flaws that are left. I am writing to get an
> advise what to do with them. Should i post them to bugtrackter or
> something else?
>
> Ok, the problems are:
>
> - The special button s2 generates the same acpi event as the stamina switch

yep, I have some ideas how to fix it in sony-laptop, I'll try to get it
done this weekend.

> - The lidswitch does not generate any acpi events
> - The Power does not generate any acpi events

these should be part of the main acpi code, please follow Zhang
directions to debug this.

Thanks
--
mattia
:wq!

* Re: acpi on sony vaio vgn-sz61mn
@ 2009-06-23  8:30   ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi

Hi!

Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 21:43 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> Thank you to everyone working on the sony stuff! It made my laptop a
>> much more valuable companion!
>>
>> But there are still some flaws that are left. I am writing to get an
>> advise what to do with them.
>>

>> Ok, the problems are:
>>
>> - The special button s2 generates the same acpi event as the stamina switch
>> - The lidswitch does not generate any acpi events
>> - The Power does not generate any acpi events
>>

> please kill acpid, and run "cat /proc/acpi/event", what do you get when
> pressing each of the three buttons?

Both, the s2 Button and the stamina switch generate the following

sony/hotkey SPIC 00000001 00000021
> run "cat /proc/interrupts" both before and after pressing these buttons,
> does the number of ACPI or sony interrupts increase?
> If ACPI interrupts increases, please run
> "grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/*" and tell us which GPE/Fixed
> event is fired.

Only the stamina switch and the s2 button increase any interrupts but
only sony interrupts are generated.

>> Should i post them to bugtrackter or
>> something else?
>>

> please file a new bug report at
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=ACPI
> and attach all the request info there.
> please also attach the acpidump output.
>
> thanks,
> rui

thank you!

@ 2009-06-23  8:44     ` Zhang Rui
From: Zhang Rui @ 2009-06-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:30 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Zhang Rui wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 21:43 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone!
> >>
> >> Thank you to everyone working on the sony stuff! It made my laptop a
> >> much more valuable companion!
> >>
> >> But there are still some flaws that are left. I am writing to get an
> >> advise what to do with them.
> >>

> >> Ok, the problems are:
> >>
> >> - The special button s2 generates the same acpi event as the stamina switch
> >> - The lidswitch does not generate any acpi events
> >> - The Power does not generate any acpi events
> >>

> > please kill acpid, and run "cat /proc/acpi/event", what do you get when
> > pressing each of the three buttons?
> >
> Both, the s2 Button and the stamina switch generate the following

so Q1 and Q2 are sony platform driver problems.
what do you get when pressing the power button?

thanks,
rui

@ 2009-06-23  8:45       ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-23  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:30 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Zhang Rui wrote:

>>> please kill acpid, and run "cat /proc/acpi/event", what do you get when
>>> pressing each of the three buttons?
>>>

>> Both, the s2 Button and the stamina switch generate the following
>>

> so Q1 and Q2 are sony platform driver problems.
> what do you get when pressing the power button?
>
> thanks,
> rui

When presing the power button nothing happens. No acpi output, no
interrupts, nothing. Same with the lid-switch.

regards

    sebastian

@ 2009-06-23  8:48         ` Zhang Rui
From: Zhang Rui @ 2009-06-23  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:45 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Zhang Rui wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:30 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!

> >> Both, the s2 Button and the stamina switch generate the following
> >>

> > so Q1 and Q2 are sony platform driver problems.
> > what do you get when pressing the power button?
> >
> > thanks,
> > rui
> >

> When presing the power button nothing happens. No acpi output, no
> interrupts, nothing. Same with the lid-switch.

even no ACPI interrupts?
please attach the output of grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/*
both before and after pressing these buttons for a couple of times.

thanks,
rui

@ 2009-06-23  9:14           ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:45 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
>
>> Zhang Rui wrote:

>>> so Q1 and Q2 are sony platform driver problems.
>>> what do you get when pressing the power button?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> rui
>>>

>> When presing the power button nothing happens. No acpi output, no
>> interrupts, nothing. Same with the lid-switch.
>>

> even no ACPI interrupts?
> please attach the output of grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/*
> both before and after pressing these buttons for a couple of times.
>
> thanks,
> rui

Hi,

this is before:

/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/error:       0
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_gbl_lock:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_pmtimer:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_pwr_btn:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_rt_clk:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_slp_btn:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe00:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe01:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe02:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe03:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe04:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe05:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe06:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe07:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe08:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe09:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0A:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0B:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0C:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0D:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0E:       0    disabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0F:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe10:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe11:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe12:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe13:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe14:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe15:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe16:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe17:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe18:       0    enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe19:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1A:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1B:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1C:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1D:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1E:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe1F:       0    invalid
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe_all:       0
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/sci:       0

and after 10 times pressing the power button and opening/closing the lid:

[...]

I cant see any difference...

regards

     sebastian

@ 2009-06-23  9:23             ` Zhang, Rui
From: Zhang, Rui @ 2009-06-23  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

[Rui] power button fixed event is invalid?
Please make sure CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m/y

Thanks,
rui

@ 2009-06-23  9:33               ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-23  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

Zhang, Rui wrote:

> [...]
It was set to

CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m

ist that right or should i change it?

regards

     sebastian

@ 2009-06-24  0:58                 ` Zhang Rui
From: Zhang Rui @ 2009-06-24  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 17:33 +0800, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Zhang, Rui wrote:

please make sure it's loaded.
please attach the output of "grep . /proc/acpi/button/*/*/*"

thanks,
rui

* Re: acpi on sony vaio vgn-sz61mn
@ 2009-06-24  9:13                   ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-24  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

Zhang Rui wrote:
> [...]
Hi,

the output is

/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/info:type:                    Lid Switch
/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state:state:      open
/proc/acpi/button/power/PWRB/info:type:                    Power Button (CM)

I found it interesting that theres a lid switch status listed. So i
tried with a magnet to trigger it and it came out like this:

/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/info:type:                    Lid Switch
/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state:state:      closed
/proc/acpi/button/power/PWRB/info:type:                    Power Button (CM)

So this makes me think that the lid-switch itself is somehow reporting
its status but it doesnt have any effects.

@ 2009-06-25  1:31                     ` Zhang Rui
From: Zhang Rui @ 2009-06-25  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Pohl; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

please attach the full dmesg output in the bugzilla.
and let's move the discussion there. :)

thanks,
rui

@ 2009-06-25  8:31                       ` Sebastian Pohl
From: Sebastian Pohl @ 2009-06-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Rui; +Cc: linux-acpi, Mattia Dongili

Hi,

i opened a bug here http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13607

and i will attach the dmesg output later when i get to my notebook.

regards

     sebastian