* Isolated(anon) and Isolated(file)
@ 2009-09-13 19:42 Hugh Dickins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2009-09-13 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KOSAKI Motohiro
  Cc: Rik van Riel, Wu Fengguang, Minchan Kim, Andrew Morton, linux-mm

Hi KOSAKI-san,

May I question the addition of Isolated(anon) and Isolated(file)
lines to /proc/meminfo?  I get irritated by all such "0 kB" lines!

I see their appropriateness and usefulness in the Alt-Sysrq-M-style
info which accompanies an OOM; and I see that those statistics help
you to identify and fix bugs of having too many pages isolated.

But IMHO they're too transient to be appropriate in /proc/meminfo:
by the time the "cat /proc/meminfo" is done, the situation is very
different (or should be once the bugs are fixed).

Almost all its numbers are transient, of course, but these seem
so much so that I think /proc/meminfo is better off without them
(compressing more info into fewer lines).

Perhaps I'm in the minority: if others care, what do they think?

Hugh