* multicast packets
@ 2010-02-24 14:43 ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

multicast packets are udp packets . But its flowing only from
upstream to downstream . So packet state will be always "NEW" . ??

my question is : whether we can see multicast data packets in
ESTABLISHED state ??

Thanks,
Ratheesh

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-24 18:33 ` Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2010-02-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ratheesh k; +Cc: netfilter

As long as there isn't any return-traffic (as it is the case for multicast-
udp), udp doesn't go into the established state.

Regards,
Christoph

On Wed 24 February 2010 wrote ratheesh k:
> multicast packets are udp packets . But its flowing only from
> upstream to downstream . So packet state will be always "NEW" . ??
>
> my question is : whether we can see multicast data packets in
> ESTABLISHED state ??
>
> Thanks,
> Ratheesh

Christoph Paasch

Alcatel-Lucent
IP Development

www.rollerbulls.be

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-25  6:38   ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-25  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Paasch; +Cc: netfilter

I am running "igmpproxy" on my gateway box . I didnot add any rule in
INPUT chain to accept igmp packets . But  i hve a rule to accept all
ESTABLISHED state packets . It am able to stream igmp from my desktop
.

I really believe that " We dont need any rule in FORWARD chain " .
Because packets are flowing from node to node and routed . So only
INPUT and OUTPUT chains are involved .

Thanks,
Ratheesh

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Christoph Paasch
<christoph.paasch@gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as there isn't any return-traffic (as it is the case for multicast-
> udp), udp doesn't go into the established state.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph
>
> On Wed 24 February 2010 wrote ratheesh k:
>> multicast packets are udp packets . But its flowing only from
>> upstream to downstream . So packet state will be always "NEW" . ??
>>
>> my question is : whether we can see multicast data packets in
>> ESTABLISHED state ??
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ratheesh
>> --

> Christoph Paasch
>
> Alcatel-Lucent
> IP Development
>
> www.rollerbulls.be

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-25  6:39     ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Paasch; +Cc: netfilter

Rules mentioned are added only in gateway box . No iptables rules in
my desktop .

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM, ratheesh k <ratheesh.ksz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running "igmpproxy" on my gateway box . I didnot add any rule in
> INPUT chain to accept igmp packets . But  i hve a rule to accept all
> ESTABLISHED state packets . It am able to stream igmp from my desktop
> .
>
> I really believe that " We dont need any rule in FORWARD chain " .
> Because packets are flowing from node to node and routed . So only
> INPUT and OUTPUT chains are involved .
>
> Thanks,
> Ratheesh
>

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Christoph Paasch
> <christoph.paasch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as there isn't any return-traffic (as it is the case for multicast-
>> udp), udp doesn't go into the established state.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christoph
>>
>> On Wed 24 February 2010 wrote ratheesh k:
>>> multicast packets are udp packets . But its flowing only from
>>> upstream to downstream . So packet state will be always "NEW" . ??
>>>
>>> my question is : whether we can see multicast data packets in
>>> ESTABLISHED state ??
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ratheesh
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Paasch
>>
>> Alcatel-Lucent
>> IP Development
>>
>> www.rollerbulls.be
>> --
>> --

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-25 17:52     ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-25 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATES -j ACCEPT .

This is the only rule . No firewall hole for igmp packets .

> I am running "igmpproxy" on my gateway box . I didnot add any rule in
> INPUT chain to accept igmp packets . But  i hve a rule to accept all
> ESTABLISHED state packets . It am able to stream igmp from my desktop
> .
>
> I really believe that " We dont need any rule in FORWARD chain " .
> Because packets are flowing from node to node and routed . So only
> INPUT and OUTPUT chains are involved .
>
> Thanks,
> Ratheesh
>

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Christoph Paasch
> <christoph.paasch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as there isn't any return-traffic (as it is the case for multicast-
>> udp), udp doesn't go into the established state.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christoph
>>
>> On Wed 24 February 2010 wrote ratheesh k:
>>> multicast packets are udp packets . But its flowing only from
>>> upstream to downstream . So packet state will be always "NEW" . ??
>>>
>>> my question is : whether we can see multicast data packets in
>>> ESTABLISHED state ??
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ratheesh
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Paasch
>>
>> Alcatel-Lucent
>> IP Development
>>
>> www.rollerbulls.be
>> --
>> --

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-25 23:16       ` Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2010-02-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ratheesh k; +Cc: netfilter

Please, provide more information about your setup.

What are the policies of your chains? What is your ruleset?
What is your topology?
What do you want to achieve, and what are you observing?

Christoph

On Thu 25 February 2010 wrote ratheesh k:
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATES -j ACCEPT .
>
> This is the only rule . No firewall hole for igmp packets .

> > I am running "igmpproxy" on my gateway box . I didnot add any rule in
> > INPUT chain to accept igmp packets . But  i hve a rule to accept all
> > ESTABLISHED state packets . It am able to stream igmp from my desktop
> > .
> >
> > I really believe that " We dont need any rule in FORWARD chain " .
> > Because packets are flowing from node to node and routed . So only
> > INPUT and OUTPUT chains are involved .
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ratheesh
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Christoph Paasch
> >
> > <christoph.paasch@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As long as there isn't any return-traffic (as it is the case for
> >> multicast- udp), udp doesn't go into the established state.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Christoph

> >> --
> >> Christoph Paasch
> >>
> >> Alcatel-Lucent
> >> IP Development
> >>
> >> www.rollerbulls.be
> >> --
> >> --

Christoph Paasch

Alcatel-Lucent
IP Development

www.rollerbulls.be

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-26  5:17         ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-26  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

> >>What are the policies of your chains?

INPUT  policy is DROP
FORWARD policy is DROP
OUTPUT policy is accept

>> What is your ruleset?

INPUT chain
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -j ACCEPT

FORWARD
iptables -A FORWARD  -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

machine                    Gateway machine B
   A -------------------->eth0              eth1 -------------> internet

I have a machine A . which is connected to a linux gateway machine .
Ruleset and policy mentioned are for machine B . There is no iptables
rules in machine A .

As per the current rule , no igmp packet should come to GATEWAY
machine , since there is no firewall hole in input chain .

But i can see , igmp packets flowing into machine B from internet .

Thanks,
Ratheesh

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Christoph Paasch

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-26  6:41           ` Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2010-02-26  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ratheesh k; +Cc: netfilter

On Fri 26 February 2010, ratheesh k wrote:
> INPUT  policy is DROP
> FORWARD policy is DROP
> OUTPUT policy is accept
>

> INPUT chain
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -j ACCEPT
>

> FORWARD
> iptables -A FORWARD  -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
I imagine that this is a typo and that you meant the FORWARD chain.

> machine                    Gateway machine B
>    A -------------------->eth0              eth1 -------------> internet
>
> I have a machine A . which is connected to a linux gateway machine .
> Ruleset and policy mentioned are for machine B . There is no iptables
> rules in machine A .

> As per the current rule , no igmp packet should come to GATEWAY
> machine , since there is no firewall hole in input chain .

> But i can see , igmp packets flowing into machine B from internet .
Where can you see these igmp packets? With wireshark/tcpdump? If it is one of
those, than it is normal, because these capture the packets before the
iptables filter.

Seen your ruleset, the packets should not enter, if they are coming from the
internet.

Regards,
Christoph

Christoph Paasch

Alcatel-Lucent
IP Development

www.rollerbulls.be

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-26  6:50             ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-26  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I am running  igmp stream  client to stream igmp packets on machine A
from internet .I can play files .

note : Is igmpproxy running machine B has anything to do with this  ?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Christoph Paasch

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-26  7:20               ` Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2010-02-26  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ratheesh k; +Cc: netfilter

I don't know the details about igmpproxy.
Looking a little bit in the source-code it seems that it installs a route
inside in the kernel for a certain multicast-stream.
Thus, multicast-udp will pass your gateway as they don't hit the INPUT chain.

However for the igmp-control traffic I have no idea, why igmpproxy receives
these.

Christoph

Christoph Paasch

Alcatel-Lucent
IP Development

www.rollerbulls.be

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-02-26  9:22                 ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-02-26  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

True . it installs multicast route  { /prox/net/ip_mr_cache }.
But route comes into play only at POSTROUTING hook . { after reaching
box } .Since i dont have any rule in INPUT to accept those ,it should
be rejected .

You confirmed that IGMP wont go to ESTABLISHED state . I think , i
have to debug more .

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Christoph Paasch

* Re: multicast packets
@ 2010-03-23 11:27                   ` ratheesh k
From: ratheesh k @ 2010-03-23 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: christoph.paasch

You are absolutely right .
 There is a packet processor running on the machine ,which offloads
the multicast stream . I was not aware of that . So you can add delete
iptables rules  ,which unaffects packet processor stream .

I think , below rules are enough for igmp v2 to work .Could you please
verify this ? eth0 is lan interface and eth1 is wan interface . I
don't know whether we need rule no 3 ( R3 ) .

R1 . iptables -A  INPUT -i eth1  -d  224.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
R2 . iptables -A  INPUT -i eth1   -d 224.0.0.2 -j ACCEPT
R3.  iptables -A  INPUT  -i  eth1   -p udp -d
$muticast-destination-address -j ACCEPT
R4.  iptables -A -i eth1 -o eth0   -p udp -d
$muticast-destination-address  -j ACCEPT

I  have read tutorials which tells to add route for 224.0.0.0/4 . But
i have no route like this and still works . Is there any impact on
this .
Note :I am using igmpproxy .

Thanks,
Ratheesh