* Problem with USB Class 2 Audio Driver
@ 2010-08-21  0:40 Demian Martin
From: Demian Martin @ 2010-08-21  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Mack', alsa-devel

Daniel:

I'm testing an early sample of the Wavelength Wavelink, a USB to S/PDIF
adapter that supports 44.1-192 KHz sample rates and uses async usb to talk
to ALSA. It works and plays all of the sample rates correctly with the git
version of Alsa from 7/30/2010 whenthe files are sourced from the network.
However if I try to play from a usb source to the usb dac it doesn't work
and the whole system gets unstable.  The platforms I have tested it on seem
to have a single USB host interface but with USB 2 there should be enough
bandwidth to pass the data from a USB stick to the cpu and back. If I use an
older 96 only usb dac on the same system it works (unless the down
conversion isn't a direct divide, which overloads the CPU, but that is a
different issue). The problem seems to be sample rate independent and hits
the moment I try to access the file. This is using MPD as a player.

What additional info do you need to troubleshoot this? Is it an intrinsic
limitation to the interface? What additional tests should I do? It's
possible it's a hardware issue but how do I divide them so I can go back to
the hardware guy if it's his issue?

Demian Martin

Product Design Services