* Re: zboot for brcm
       [not found]   ` <20100609172438.GA23116@waldemar-brodkorb.de>
@ 2010-06-10 14:14     ` Wu Zhangjin
From: Wu Zhangjin @ 2010-06-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Brodkorb; +Cc: Ralf Baechle, linux-mips

Hi,

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 19:24 +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
[...]
> I know this is not correct, it should just illustrate, that only if
> I use this VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS, the decompressor code get executed.
> The bootloader CFE just loads every code to 0x80001000 and executes
> it.

oh, it is really bad, that's why it always boot at 0x80001000 and will
overwrite the decompressor, than it fail on booting. we need to do
something for it, can you change the source code of CFE? If yes, we need
to let the CFE load the code to the entry point of the elf file, but
anyway, it is not a good idea, we need to modify the current zboot
support to avoid touching the bootloader.

Here should be a solution:

We use VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS as VMLINUZ_LOAD_ADDRESS, but decompress the
kernel to VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS + VMLINUZ_SIZE, it will not depends on
the bootloader, I think this will be a good idea and will solve your
problem ;) I will finish this patch asap, maybe tomorrow.

> > And you just need to select "SYS_SUPPORTS_ZBOOT_UART16550" for it will
> > select SYS_SUPPORTS_ZBOOT itself. and please do not remove "ifdef
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT" and the related "#endif" but enable
> > "CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT" in the .config(via make menuconfig) instead.
>
> Okay, but CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT is not defined anywhere.

I have added this stuff to arch/mips/Kconfig.debug, you can find it via:

$ make menuconfig ARCH=mips

>> kernel hacking
   >> kernel debugging (DEBUG_KERNEL)
   >> Enable compressed kernel support debugging

Regards,
Wu Zhangjin

* Re: zboot for brcm
@ 2010-06-17 12:20       ` wu zhangjin
From: wu zhangjin @ 2010-06-17 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Brodkorb; +Cc: Ralf Baechle, linux-mips

Hi,

I just got a bcm1250a board, it also uses the CFE as the bootloader, I
compiled a compressed vmlinuz-2.6.34 for it and boot with the
following command, it works well:

CFE> setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=$nfs_server_ip:/path/to/nfs_root_fs ip=dhcp
CFE> ifconfig -auto eth0
CFE> boot -elf $tftp_server_ip:/path/to/vmlinuz

With -elf, the boot command of CFE can parse the vmlinuz and boot it
normally. I think you have used the wrong options of the boot command.

Studying engineer. Wu Zhangjin
Lanzhou University      http://www.lzu.edu.cn
Distributed & Embedded System Lab      http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn
School of Information Science and Engeneering         http://xxxy.lzu.edu.cn
wuzhangjin@gmail.com         http://falcon.oss.lzu.edu.cn
Address:Tianshui South Road 222,Lanzhou,P.R.China    Zip Code:730000
Tel:+86-931-8912025

* Re: zboot for brcm
@ 2010-06-17 12:38         ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2010-06-17 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wu zhangjin; +Cc: Waldemar Brodkorb, Ralf Baechle, linux-mips

Hi,

On Thursday 17 June 2010 14:20:49 wu zhangjin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a bcm1250a board, it also uses the CFE as the bootloader, I
> compiled a compressed vmlinuz-2.6.34 for it and boot with the
> following command, it works well:
>
> CFE> setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw
> nfsroot=$nfs_server_ip:/path/to/nfs_root_fs ip=dhcp
> CFE> ifconfig -auto eth0
> CFE> boot -elf $tftp_server_ip:/path/to/vmlinuz
>
> With -elf, the boot command of CFE can parse the vmlinuz and boot it
> normally. I think you have used the wrong options of the boot command.

CFE on bcm12xx, on bcm47xx and bcm63xx are all three slightly different flavors
which may not behave exactly the same way wrt the load command.

Also, you are on a development board so there are no reasons to restrict CFE
commands, this is not the case with end-user products like WRT54G and such.
--
Florian

* Re: zboot for brcm
@ 2010-06-17 13:31           ` Wu Zhangjin
From: Wu Zhangjin @ 2010-06-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli; +Cc: Waldemar Brodkorb, Ralf Baechle, linux-mips

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 14:38 +0200, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 17 June 2010 14:20:49 wu zhangjin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a bcm1250a board, it also uses the CFE as the bootloader, I
> > compiled a compressed vmlinuz-2.6.34 for it and boot with the
> > following command, it works well:
> >
> > CFE> setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw
> > nfsroot=$nfs_server_ip:/path/to/nfs_root_fs ip=dhcp
> > CFE> ifconfig -auto eth0
> > CFE> boot -elf $tftp_server_ip:/path/to/vmlinuz
> >
> > With -elf, the boot command of CFE can parse the vmlinuz and boot it
> > normally. I think you have used the wrong options of the boot command.
>
> CFE on bcm12xx, on bcm47xx and bcm63xx are all three slightly different flavors
> which may not behave exactly the same way wrt the load command.
>
> Also, you are on a development board so there are no reasons to restrict CFE
> commands, this is not the case with end-user products like WRT54G and such.

Hmm, Maybe, I have no such products to test, anybody have such products,
welcome to test it ;)

Best Regards,
	Wu Zhangjin

* Re: zboot for brcm
@ 2010-09-12 17:13             ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2010-09-12 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wuzhangjin; +Cc: Waldemar Brodkorb, Ralf Baechle, linux-mips

Hi Wu,

Le Thursday 17 June 2010 15:31:19, Wu Zhangjin a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 14:38 +0200, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thursday 17 June 2010 14:20:49 wu zhangjin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just got a bcm1250a board, it also uses the CFE as the bootloader, I
> > > compiled a compressed vmlinuz-2.6.34 for it and boot with the
> > > following command, it works well:

> > > nfsroot=$nfs_server_ip:/path/to/nfs_root_fs ip=dhcp
> > >
> > > With -elf, the boot command of CFE can parse the vmlinuz and boot it
> > > normally. I think you have used the wrong options of the boot command.
> >
> > CFE on bcm12xx, on bcm47xx and bcm63xx are all three slightly different
> > flavors which may not behave exactly the same way wrt the load command.
> >
> > Also, you are on a development board so there are no reasons to restrict
> > CFE commands, this is not the case with end-user products like WRT54G
> > and such.
>
> Hmm, Maybe, I have no such products to test, anybody have such products,
> welcome to test it ;)

I just ran into the issue described by Waldemar on a BCM6348 board. You
mentionned you were writing a patch, do you have one I could test on BCM63xx?
--
Florian

* Re: zboot for brcm
@ 2010-09-15 13:28               ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2010-09-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli; +Cc: wuzhangjin, Waldemar Brodkorb, linux-mips

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:13:28PM +0200, Florian Fainelli wrote:

Be careful with the firmware.  On Sibyte systems Linux queries the firmware
for available memory ranges.  The memory ranges are based on the sizes of
the sizes of the ELF file as loaded.  That means after decompression it
is possible that the kernel will treat some memory as free even though it
it is actually used.  Due to various other circumstances this does not
actually hit all systems.

  Ralf