* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-11 15:19 Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-02-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear All,

I want to load the uboot.bin on to my target board through JTAG into
the SDRAM area? Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file into the RAM
are instead of FLASH area?

Sorry, If I asked a silly question. I am new bie.

Regards,
Madhavi

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-11 15:29 ` Lei Wen
From: Lei Wen @ 2011-02-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Madhavi Manchala
<madhavi.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to load the uboot.bin on to my target board through JTAG into
> the SDRAM area? Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file into the RAM
> are instead of FLASH area?
>
> Sorry, If I asked a silly question. I am new bie.
>
> are instead of FLASH area?

Certainly, it can.
But you should make sure your jtag already init the dram and then load
your uboot
exactly at the CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE.

If your sdram is large enough, or the uboot code is small enough, you don't need
the dram init. But begin at the TEXT_BASE still is a must.

Best regards,
Lei

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-11 16:57   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-02-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Lei Wen,

In message <AANLkTin7zsxVqjKp1Htovf44mtfkNsJR2DF9bSBkTBFR@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> If your sdram is large enough, or the uboot code is small enough, you don't need
> the dram init. But begin at the TEXT_BASE still is a must.

Hugh?  You _always_ must make sure the RAM has been initialized first.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perl itself is  usually  pretty  good  about  telling  you  what  you
shouldn't do. :-)     - Larry Wall in <11091@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-13 13:30     ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-02-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Lei Wen,
>
> In message <AANLkTin7zsxVqjKp1Htovf44mtfkNsJR2DF9bSBkTBFR@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> If your sdram is large enough, or the uboot code is small enough, you don't need
>> the dram init. But begin at the TEXT_BASE still is a must.
>
> Hugh? ?You _always_ must make sure the RAM has been initialized first.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Dear Wolfgang Denk and Lei,

Thanks for your information.

I build one u-boot.bin file for smdk2410 configuration. However, when
I try to load through JTAG, I am seeing the following error.

invalid download offset u-boot.bin

Am I doing any thing wrong? I set RAM BASE address as 0x00000000 in
the confiuration file as our board RAM starts from there only. Shall I
need to modify any thing in the config file?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Madhavi M.

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-13 13:41       ` Lei Wen
From: Lei Wen @ 2011-02-13 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Madhavi Manchala
<madhavi.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
>> Dear Lei Wen,
>>
>> In message <AANLkTin7zsxVqjKp1Htovf44mtfkNsJR2DF9bSBkTBFR@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>>
>>> If your sdram is large enough, or the uboot code is small enough, you don't need
>>> the dram init. But begin at the TEXT_BASE still is a must.
>>
>> Hugh? ?You _always_ must make sure the RAM has been initialized first.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Wolfgang Denk
>
> Dear Wolfgang Denk and Lei,
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> I build one u-boot.bin file for smdk2410 configuration. However, when
> I try to load through JTAG, I am seeing the following error.
>
> invalid download offset u-boot.bin
>
> Am I doing any thing wrong? I set RAM BASE address as 0x00000000 in
> the confiuration file as our board RAM starts from there only. Shall I
> need to modify any thing in the config file?

No idea...
That info message should not be printed by your uboot.
Maybe you should refer to someone expert for your jtag to solve this...

Best regads,
Lei

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-13 14:22         ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-02-13 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lei Wen <adrian.wenl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Madhavi Manchala
> <madhavi.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
>>> Dear Lei Wen,

>>> Hugh? ?You _always_ must make sure the RAM has been initialized first.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Wolfgang Denk
>>
>> Dear Wolfgang Denk and Lei,
>>
>> Thanks for your information.
>>
>> I build one u-boot.bin file for smdk2410 configuration. However, when
>> I try to load through JTAG, I am seeing the following error.
>>
>> invalid download offset u-boot.bin
>>
>> Am I doing any thing wrong? I set RAM BASE address as 0x00000000 in
>> the confiuration file as our board RAM starts from there only. Shall I
>> need to modify any thing in the config file?
>>
> No idea...
> That info message should not be printed by your uboot.
> Maybe you should refer to someone expert for your jtag to solve this...
>
> Best regads,
> Lei

Yes, Lei.

I am using J-Link JTAG with J-LinkGDBServer for loading the u-boot.bin
file on to the board through a .gdbinit script file. One more thing,
when I looked into the config.h file, I found CONFIG_SYS_LOAD_ADDR
macro. What is the use of this macro? Is it u-boot load address? I
also changed this and tested. But, lo luck.

@ 2011-02-13 14:37           ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2011-02-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Le 13/02/2011 15:22, Madhavi Manchala a ?crit :
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lei Wen<adrian.wenl@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Madhavi Manchala
>> <madhavi.linux@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Dear Wolfgang Denk and Lei,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your information.
>>>
>>> I build one u-boot.bin file for smdk2410 configuration. However, when
>>> I try to load through JTAG, I am seeing the following error.
>>>
>>> invalid download offset u-boot.bin
>>>
>>> Am I doing any thing wrong? I set RAM BASE address as 0x00000000 in
>>> the confiuration file as our board RAM starts from there only. Shall I
>>> need to modify any thing in the config file?
>>>
>> No idea...
>> That info message should not be printed by your uboot.
>> Maybe you should refer to someone expert for your jtag to solve this...
>>
>> Best regads,
>> Lei
>
> Yes, Lei.
>
> I am using J-Link JTAG with J-LinkGDBServer for loading the u-boot.bin
> file on to the board through a .gdbinit script file. One more thing,
> when I looked into the config.h file, I found CONFIG_SYS_LOAD_ADDR
> macro. What is the use of this macro? Is it u-boot load address? I
> also changed this and tested. But, lo luck.

The message is from the loader, which does not care about #defines in
the source code of the loaded binary.

Apparently, the error message means the loader took "u-boot.bin" to mean
not a file but an address.

You should double-check your gdb script against the GDB syntax.

> Thanks for your information.
>
> Regards,
> Madhavi M.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-13 16:37           ` Srinath Iyengar
From: Srinath Iyengar @ 2011-02-13 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Madhavi ,

Assuming through JTAG sdram has been initialized; try loading the "u-boot"
 - the ELF file generated while you compiled u-boot not u-boot.bin.

FYI , example of files generated when u-boot is compiled

file u-boot*

u-boot:      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), statically
linked, not stripped

u-boot.bin:  data

u-boot.lds:  ASCII assembler program text

u-boot.map:  ASCII assembler program text

u-boot.srec: Motorola S-Record; binary data in text format

With Regards

Srinath

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Madhavi Manchala

@ 2011-02-14  7:04             ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-02-14  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Srinath Iyengar
<srinathiyengarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi?Madhavi?,
>

> Assuming?through JTAG sdram has been initialized; try loading the "u-boot"
> ?- the ELF file generated while you compiled u-boot not u-boot.bin.
>
> FYI , example of files generated when u-boot is compiled
>
> file u-boot*
>
> u-boot: ? ? ?ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), statically
> linked, not stripped
>
> u-boot.bin: ?data
>
> u-boot.lds: ?ASCII assembler program text
>
> u-boot.map: ?ASCII assembler program text
>
> u-boot.srec: Motorola S-Record; binary data in text format

Dear Srinath,

Thank you very much for your information.

I am able to load the "u-boot" (ELF format file as you said in your
email) file from .gdbinit script file through J-Link JTAG and
J-LinkGDBServer tools. I am able to see the following statements on
the GDB console screen.

Start address 0x33f80000, load size 129216
Transfer rate: 387 KB/sec, 9229 bytes/write.
(test-gdb)

Actually, I want to load the "u-boot" file into SDRAM area and run
from the SD RAM only instead of FLASH area. Here, the RAM address
starts from 0x00000000 in our board. I tried to modify some of the
macros like PHYS_SDRAM_1 and its size. However, there is no luck. Even
I did not see any messages on the hyper terminal.

I am modifying the smdk2410.h file for our samsung board where it is a
based on S3C2510A MCU. I want to modify this config file as per our
board requirement.

Any ideas / hints would be greatly help me and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Madhavi M.

@ 2011-02-14  8:46               ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-02-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Madhavi Manchala,

In message <AANLkTinWxhP6Xve6ZEKg0wcmthRXVACcG33KT93exxaS@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Actually, I want to load the "u-boot" file into SDRAM area and run
> from the SD RAM only instead of FLASH area. Here, the RAM address
> starts from 0x00000000 in our board. I tried to modify some of the
> macros like PHYS_SDRAM_1 and its size. However, there is no luck. Even
> I did not see any messages on the hyper terminal.
> Any ideas / hints would be greatly help me and appreciated.

Well, if should read the related FAQ entry (see
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM).
Then you should ask yourself why this is the number 1 FAQ entry, and
then you should probably read it again.

One of the key phrases is this one:

	This requires a lot of experience with U-Boot, and the fact
	that you had to ask if this can be done means that you are not
	in a position to do this.

It is obvious that you are still learning, so the "requires a lot of
experience" part does not apply. You have access to a JTAG debugger,
and it appears it is actually working on your hardware.

Why are you then making your own life more difficult than needed? Why
are you attempting to do things that are not needed nor useful at all?
Instead, focus on how the actual system is booting, and get this
working, step after step.

Do NOT mess with the memory set up manually. Do NOT modify the U-Boot
code to do things you don't understand yet, because this will also
prevent U-Boot from working under normal conditions.

Do not ignore the FAQ.  If some answers are not what you are looking
for then ask yourself if you are asking the right questions.  Keep in
mind that most of these FAQ have been written by people who have a lot
of experience with U-Boot.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.

* [U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?
@ 2011-02-14 10:43                 ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-02-14 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Madhavi Manchala,
>
> In message <AANLkTinWxhP6Xve6ZEKg0wcmthRXVACcG33KT93exxaS@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I want to load the "u-boot" file into SDRAM area and run
>> from the SD RAM only instead of FLASH area. Here, the RAM address
>> starts from 0x00000000 in our board. I tried to modify some of the
>> macros like PHYS_SDRAM_1 and its size. However, there is no luck. Even
>> I did not see any messages on the hyper terminal.
>> Any ideas / hints would be greatly help me and appreciated.
>
> Well, if should read the related FAQ entry (see
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM).
> Then you should ask yourself why this is the number 1 FAQ entry, and
> then you should probably read it again.
>
> One of the key phrases is this one:
>
> ? ? ? ?This requires a lot of experience with U-Boot, and the fact
> ? ? ? ?that you had to ask if this can be done means that you are not
> ? ? ? ?in a position to do this.
>
> It is obvious that you are still learning, so the "requires a lot of
> experience" part does not apply. You have access to a JTAG debugger,
> and it appears it is actually working on your hardware.
>
> Why are you then making your own life more difficult than needed? Why
> are you attempting to do things that are not needed nor useful at all?
> Instead, focus on how the actual system is booting, and get this
> working, step after step.

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

Thanks for the link and information.

I have a J-Link JTAG and J-LinkGDBServer software tool for debugging
the code which are purchased from segger.com. The board consists of
Samsung S3C2510A MCU, Flash memory, SD RAM and UARTS. Here, my work is
to load the OS image (like OpenWRT) on to the board. For this, I
chosen that I want load the u-boot first and then from the u-boot
prompt load the OS image. That is the reason, I want to load the
u-boot first.

Anyhow, I will look into the FAQ and README documentation first, then
I will post the questions.

Sorry If I asked simple questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhavi M.

@ 2011-02-14 13:53                   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-02-14 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Madhavi Manchala,

In message <AANLkTimjnUuUuCha24JSNcpkB=gOKT-+qN9Br1Dpf3Bd@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a J-Link JTAG and J-LinkGDBServer software tool for debugging
> the code which are purchased from segger.com. The board consists of
> Samsung S3C2510A MCU, Flash memory, SD RAM and UARTS. Here, my work is
> to load the OS image (like OpenWRT) on to the board. For this, I
> chosen that I want load the u-boot first and then from the u-boot
> prompt load the OS image. That is the reason, I want to load the
> u-boot first.

yes - but U-Boot is designed to boot from flash, so you should program
it to flash ans start it there.  Do not attempt to force it into a
mode of operation that it was NOT designed for unless you know exactly
what you are doing.  You are just adding complexity, which means you
are wasting your time. And ours.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Thought for the day: What if there were no hypothetical situations?