* packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-18  9:00 Jon Zhou
From: Jon Zhou @ 2011-05-18  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e1000-devel, netdev

There are 2 packets in the traffic

#1 create PDP context request, IPV4--UDP--GTP, src_ip=A and dst_ip=B,src_port=C,dst_port=D

#2 create PDP context response, IPV4--UDP--GTP,src_ip=B, dst_ip=A, src_port=D,dst_port=C

I suppose both of them will be received in same rx-queue but actually it doesn't
Anything need to check?

ethtool -i eth5
driver: ixgbe
version: 3.3.9-NAPI
firmware-version: 0.9-3
bus-info: 0000:08:00.1

regards
jon

* Re: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-18  9:13 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-05-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon.Zhou; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

From: Jon Zhou <Jon.Zhou@jdsu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 02:00:50 -0700

> There are 2 packets in the traffic
>
> #1 create PDP context request, IPV4--UDP--GTP, src_ip=A and dst_ip=B,src_port=C,dst_port=D
>
> #2 create PDP context response, IPV4--UDP--GTP,src_ip=B, dst_ip=A, src_port=D,dst_port=C
>
> I suppose both of them will be received in same rx-queue but actually it doesn't

Well, for hardware flow steering, it's not expected to.

* RE: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-19  1:26 ` Jon Zhou
From: Jon Zhou @ 2011-05-19  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e1000-devel, netdev

Anyone can help to check the traffic file?

Thanks
jon

[-- Attachment #2: UpdatePdpContextTransaction12-WithCreatePdpDeletePdp.pcap --]

* Re: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-19  1:32   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-05-19  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon.Zhou; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

From: Jon Zhou <Jon.Zhou@jdsu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:26:07 -0700

> Anyone can help to check the traffic file?

I told you yesterday that this behavior is expected.

* RE: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-19  3:22     ` Jon Zhou
From: Jon Zhou @ 2011-05-19  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

form the 82599 datasheet, the hash algorithm is consist of src/dst ip, src/dst port,protocol
why it got different hash value with same ip/port pair?

* Re: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-19  3:36       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-05-19  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon.Zhou; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

From: Jon Zhou <Jon.Zhou@jdsu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:22:07 -0700

> form the 82599 datasheet, the hash algorithm is consist of src/dst
> ip, src/dst port,protocol why it got different hash value with same
> ip/port pair?

The same reason why feeding different sets of discrete 32-bit and
16-bit values to a cryptographic hash results in a different final
hash value.

Our software RPS/RFS implementation used to have this quality too.

* RE: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-20  1:48         ` Jon Zhou
From: Jon Zhou @ 2011-05-20  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

Even that it gets different hash value, both packets should be delivered to same rx-queue,

Because they are belong to same flow?

* Re: packet received in a wrong rx-queue?
@ 2011-05-20  3:12           ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-05-20  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon.Zhou; +Cc: e1000-devel, netdev

From: Jon Zhou <Jon.Zhou@jdsu.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:48:02 -0700

> Even that it gets different hash value, both packets should be delivered to same rx-queue,
>
> Because they are belong to same flow?

That's not how it works.  They go to different queues, because the bits
are different for the flow keys in each direction.

I think we've brought this discussion to a conclusion, and that this
behavior is intentional.

Thank you.