* [Qemu-devel] Try to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into linux: have pci_regs conflict with libpci.
@ 2011-09-27 15:02 ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2011-09-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU-devel
  Cc: Xen Devel, Michael S. Tsirkin, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Alexander Graf, Alex Williamson, Anthony PERARD,
	Stefano Stabellini

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into Qemu. But we
use libpci, and it's not friendly with pci_regs.h.

So can I replace pci_regs by the libpci one?
Should I avoid to include both? (by having a "hook" the libpci functions)
Or do you have any other suggestions?

Anthony PERARD

From: Anthony PERARD @ 2011-09-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU-devel
  Cc: Xen Devel, Michael S. Tsirkin, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Alexander Graf, Alex Williamson, Anthony PERARD,
	Stefano Stabellini

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into Qemu. But we
use libpci, and it's not friendly with pci_regs.h.

So can I replace pci_regs by the libpci one?
Should I avoid to include both? (by having a "hook" the libpci functions)
Or do you have any other suggestions?

Anthony PERARD

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Try to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into linux: have pci_regs conflict with libpci.
@ 2011-09-27 15:20   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2011-09-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD
  Cc: Xen Devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Stefano Stabellini,
	Alexander Graf, QEMU-devel, Alex Williamson

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 04:02:23PM +0100, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into Qemu. But we
> use libpci, and it's not friendly with pci_regs.h.
>
> So can I replace pci_regs by the libpci one?

I prefer sticking to pci_regs in linux.

> Should I avoid to include both? (by having a "hook" the libpci functions)
> Or do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,

Can you avoid libpci? It was very useful before sysfs, but
on modern systems there isn't much that it does.

--
MST

* Re: Try to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into linux: have pci_regs conflict with libpci.
@ 2011-09-27 15:20   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2011-09-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD
  Cc: Xen Devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Stefano Stabellini,
	Alexander Graf, QEMU-devel, Alex Williamson, Anthony Liguori

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 04:02:23PM +0100, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into Qemu. But we
> use libpci, and it's not friendly with pci_regs.h.
>
> So can I replace pci_regs by the libpci one?

I prefer sticking to pci_regs in linux.

> Should I avoid to include both? (by having a "hook" the libpci functions)
> Or do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,

Can you avoid libpci? It was very useful before sysfs, but
on modern systems there isn't much that it does.

--
MST

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [Xen-devel] Re: Try to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into linux: have pci_regs conflict with libpci.
@ 2011-09-27 16:14     ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2011-09-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Xen Devel, Stefano Stabellini, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, QEMU-devel,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 16:20, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 04:02:23PM +0100, Anthony PERARD wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into Qemu. But we
>> use libpci, and it's not friendly with pci_regs.h.
>>
>> So can I replace pci_regs by the libpci one?
>
> I prefer sticking to pci_regs in linux.

Fair enough.

>> Should I avoid to include both? (by having a "hook" the libpci functions)
>> Or do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Regards,
>
> Can you avoid libpci? It was very useful before sysfs, but
> on modern systems there isn't much that it does.

I was thinking to keep any compatibility with a *BSD system, but since
there is one function that assume the existance of the sysfs, I will
just "rewrote" the needed functions and remove the usage of libpci.

Anthony PERARD

* Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Try to integrate the Xen PCI Passthrough code into linux: have pci_regs conflict with libpci.
@ 2011-09-27 16:14     ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2011-09-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Xen Devel, Stefano Stabellini, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, QEMU-devel,