* RFC: use TRIM data from filesystems to speed up array rebuild?
@ 2012-09-04 18:06 Chris Friesen
From: Chris Friesen @ 2012-09-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown, linux-raid

Hi,

I'm not really a filesystem guy so this may be a really dumb question.

We currently have an issue where we have a ~1TB RAID1 array that is
mostly given over to LVM.  If we swap one of the disks it will rebuild
everything, even though we may only be using a small fraction of the space.

This got me thinking.  Has anyone given thought to using the TRIM
information from filesystems to allow the RAID code to maintain a
bitmask of used disk blocks and only sync the ones that are actually used?

Presumably this bitmask would itself need to be stored on the disk.

Thanks,
Chris

--

Chris Friesen