* RFC: New release for DTC?
@ 2012-08-23 18:15 Yann E. MORIN
       [not found] ` <201208232015.39613.yann.morin.1998-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-08-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

Hello All!

Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
of DTC be tagged and packaged.

It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
build-systems, such as buildroot.

Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)

Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?

Thank you!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found] ` <201208232015.39613.yann.morin.1998-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-08-24  1:36   ` David Gibson
       [not found]     ` <20120824013625.GA8067-W9XWwYn+TF0XU02nzanrWNbf9cGiqdzd@public.gmane.org>
From: David Gibson @ 2012-08-24  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Loeliger; +Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:15:39PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
> of DTC be tagged and packaged.
>
> It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
> than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
> build-systems, such as buildroot.
>
> Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)
>
> Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?

This has been a bit of a perrenial problem.  dtc development has been
sufficiently gradual that there haven't been many obvious points for
making new releases.  dtc developers (i.e. Jon and my, mostly) don't
feel much pain from the lack of releases, since the git snapshots
generally work well (thanks to limited scope and a good testsuite).

I wonder if we should move to a model of just making a release every 3
or 6 months from whatever happens to be in the tree at the time
(barring obvious known breakage, of course).

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found]     ` <20120824013625.GA8067-W9XWwYn+TF0XU02nzanrWNbf9cGiqdzd@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-17 17:50       ` Mike Frysinger
       [not found]         ` <201211171250.08597.vapier-aBrp7R+bbdUdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2012-11-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1193 bytes --]

On Thursday 23 August 2012 21:36:25 David Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:15:39PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
> > of DTC be tagged and packaged.
> >
> > It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
> > than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
> > build-systems, such as buildroot.
> >
> > Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)
> >
> > Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?
>
> This has been a bit of a perrenial problem.  dtc development has been
> sufficiently gradual that there haven't been many obvious points for
> making new releases.  dtc developers (i.e. Jon and my, mostly) don't
> feel much pain from the lack of releases, since the git snapshots
> generally work well (thanks to limited scope and a good testsuite).
>
> I wonder if we should move to a model of just making a release every 3
> or 6 months from whatever happens to be in the tree at the time
> (barring obvious known breakage, of course).

yes please.  even just a version that uses datestamps would be fine.
-mike

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found]         ` <201211171250.08597.vapier-aBrp7R+bbdUdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-18  0:00           ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger, devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:50:07 -0500, Mike Frysinger <vapier-aBrp7R+bbdUdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2012 21:36:25 David Gibson wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:15:39PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > > Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
> > > of DTC be tagged and packaged.
> > >
> > > It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
> > > than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
> > > build-systems, such as buildroot.
> > >
> > > Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)
> > >
> > > Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?
> >
> > This has been a bit of a perrenial problem.  dtc development has been
> > sufficiently gradual that there haven't been many obvious points for
> > making new releases.  dtc developers (i.e. Jon and my, mostly) don't
> > feel much pain from the lack of releases, since the git snapshots
> > generally work well (thanks to limited scope and a good testsuite).
> >
> > I wonder if we should move to a model of just making a release every 3
> > or 6 months from whatever happens to be in the tree at the time
> > (barring obvious known breakage, of course).
>
> yes please.  even just a version that uses datestamps would be fine.
> -mike

Fine by me.

g.

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
@ 2012-12-10 22:40             ` Simon Glass
       [not found]               ` <CAPnjgZ23ofzihzCMb-i6NMDFuMrYabfo2JGeSPKz+E3gzqDnLA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Glass @ 2012-12-10 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely-s3s/WqlpOiPyB63q8FvJNQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:50:07 -0500, Mike Frysinger <vapier-aBrp7R+bbdUdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > This has been a bit of a perrenial problem.  dtc development has been
>> > sufficiently gradual that there haven't been many obvious points for
>> > making new releases.  dtc developers (i.e. Jon and my, mostly) don't
>> > feel much pain from the lack of releases, since the git snapshots
>> > generally work well (thanks to limited scope and a good testsuite).
>> >
>> > I wonder if we should move to a model of just making a release every 3
>> > or 6 months from whatever happens to be in the tree at the time
>> > (barring obvious known breakage, of course).
>>
>> yes please.  even just a version that uses datestamps would be fine.
>> -mike
>
> Fine by me.

So is this happening? I agree a regular release would be useful, and I
think it has been about 18 months since the last release.

Regards,
Simon

> g.

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
@ 2012-12-11 14:55                 ` Jon Loeliger
       [not found]                   ` <E1TiREr-0004Mk-IP-CYoMK+44s/E@public.gmane.org>
From: Jon Loeliger @ 2012-12-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Glass; +Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

> >> yes please.  even just a version that uses datestamps would be fine.
> >> -mike
> >
> > Fine by me.
>
> So is this happening? I agree a regular release would be useful, and I
> think it has been about 18 months since the last release.

I'll apply a couple 3 outstanding patches (from Kim Phillips)
and get around to tagging a new release.  If you, or anyone else
have patches or functionality you want in this release, please
post those patches now.

jdl

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found]                   ` <E1TiREr-0004Mk-IP-CYoMK+44s/E@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-12-11 18:59                     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2012-12-11 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Loeliger; +Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ

Hi Jon,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Jon Loeliger <jdl-CYoMK+44s/E@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > Fine by me.
>>
>> So is this happening? I agree a regular release would be useful, and I
>> think it has been about 18 months since the last release.
>
> I'll apply a couple 3 outstanding patches (from Kim Phillips)
> and get around to tagging a new release.  If you, or anyone else
> have patches or functionality you want in this release, please
> post those patches now.

OK thanks. I don't have any new patches at present.

> jdl

Regards,
Simon

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found] ` <201208232015.39613.yann.morin.1998-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-30 17:45   ` Stephen Warren
       [not found]     ` <51A79033.7080800-3lzwWm7+Weoh9ZMKESR00Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephen Warren @ 2013-05-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Loeliger, David Gibson
  Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ, Yann E. MORIN

On 08/23/2012 12:15 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
> of DTC be tagged and packaged.
>
> It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
> than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
> build-systems, such as buildroot.
>
> Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)
>
> Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?

I'd love to see a new release. This would for example allow the U-Boot
project to say "dtc vXXX is required to build the DT files contained in
U-Boot", which might make agreeing on allowing the use of new dtc
features in U-Boot easier. While this could simply be done by referring
to a specific git commit ID, release versions or tags probably carry
more weight. Tagging a release might also act as a specific trigger for
distros to pick up and carry the new version.

Does it make sense to simply tag the current git HEAD as v1.4? If so,
can we do this?

* Re: RFC: New release for DTC?
       [not found]     ` <51A79033.7080800-3lzwWm7+Weoh9ZMKESR00Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-15  0:17       ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2013-06-15  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren, Jon Loeliger, David Gibson
  Cc: devicetree-discuss-uLR06cmDAlY/bJ5BZ2RsiQ, Yann E. MORIN

On Thu, 30 May 2013 11:45:23 -0600, Stephen Warren <swarren-3lzwWm7+Weoh9ZMKESR00Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 08/23/2012 12:15 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > Following advice from Jon Loeliger, I would suggest that a new release
> > of DTC be tagged and packaged.
> >
> > It is important for some projects to rely on a released version, rather
> > than use a random cset from the repository. Comes to mind, the automated
> > build-systems, such as buildroot.
> >
> > Of course, I can help, if need be! ;-)
> >
> > Are there any others who think that a release would make sense?
>
> I'd love to see a new release. This would for example allow the U-Boot
> project to say "dtc vXXX is required to build the DT files contained in
> U-Boot", which might make agreeing on allowing the use of new dtc
> features in U-Boot easier. While this could simply be done by referring
> to a specific git commit ID, release versions or tags probably carry
> more weight. Tagging a release might also act as a specific trigger for
> distros to pick up and carry the new version.
>
> Does it make sense to simply tag the current git HEAD as v1.4? If so,
> can we do this?

If a new release can be done in the next week or so, then I will use
that to update the in-kernel dtc version.

g.