* Packet Loss
@ 2013-10-28  9:57 Robert Clove
From: Robert Clove @ 2013-10-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am pumping an 1000 packets at 1Gbps and receiving on 300 packets on the
other side.
Both the servers are back to back connected.

Please guide me what to do.
Both the servers are high end.

Thanks
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Packet Loss
@ 2013-10-28 10:51 ` Kristof Provost
       [not found]   ` <CAEMktPVcW6pD9p-sZhpPVetofB73QWsbgRr0Xc=MW0ZHAvoERQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kristof Provost @ 2013-10-28 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2013-10-28 15:27:37 (+0530), Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pumping an 1000 packets at 1Gbps and receiving on 300 packets on the
> other side.
> Both the servers are back to back connected.

Change the cable. I have no idea if that's the cause, but it's an
extremely cheap and quick thing to test, so eliminate that.

> Please guide me what to do.

Mostly give us (and yourself) more information. What kind of packets?
How are you generating them? What software are you using? What kernel
version are you using? Are you *SURE* you're sending 1000? What have you
already tried?

Then try to break down the problem, narrow down the possible causes. For
example: stick a (known to be reliable) switch between the two machines
and have it tell you how many packets it sees. That'll at least let you
know if you're losing packets on the sending or the receiving side.

Regards,
Kristof

* Packet Loss
       [not found]   ` <CAEMktPVcW6pD9p-sZhpPVetofB73QWsbgRr0Xc=MW0ZHAvoERQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-10-28 12:14     ` Kristof Provost
       [not found]       ` <CAEMktPU-6nSfNCSXkoaQf67LB-Ga7+pGA1Sn45AJhAsR7zDF0w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kristof Provost @ 2013-10-28 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2013-10-28 17:32:43 (+0530), Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kind of Packets :- *UDP*
> How are you generating them? :-* Packeth (
> http://packeth.sourceforge.net/packeth/Home.html)*
> kernel version : uname -r -   *2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
> *
> Are you *SURE* you're sending 1000? - *ya checked through packeth status
> bar and also through ifconfig command*
> I have connected them through LAN cable (cat 6) back to back.
>
> Changed cable but no use.
> What should i do?

Break down the problem. Get that smart switch to tell you if the packets
are lost by the sender of the receiver.

Test if it's bidirectional (i.e. does it still happen if the switch the
sender and receiver)?

Does it still happen if you send only 100 packets? Do you still lose 30%
then, or do you lose more or less?

Perhaps try a kernel that isn't nearly five years old too.

Also, don't top-post.

Regards,
Kristof

* Packet Loss
       [not found]       ` <CAEMktPU-6nSfNCSXkoaQf67LB-Ga7+pGA1Sn45AJhAsR7zDF0w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-10-29 10:12         ` Kristof Provost
From: Kristof Provost @ 2013-10-29 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2013-10-29 15:09:30 (+0530), Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to know are there any driver or kernel parameters that we can
> adjust to get the better packet capture?

Not off-hand, no.

Please keep the mailing list in CC, perhaps someone else can help too.

Regards,
Kristof

* Fwd: Packet Loss
       [not found]       ` <CAEMktPU-6nSfNCSXkoaQf67LB-Ga7+pGA1Sn45AJhAsR7zDF0w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-11-02 14:28         ` Robert Clove
From: Robert Clove @ 2013-11-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Kristof Provost <kristof@sigsegv.be> wrote:

> On 2013-10-28 17:32:43 (+0530), Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Kind of Packets :- *UDP*
> > How are you generating them? :-* Packeth (
> > http://packeth.sourceforge.net/packeth/Home.html)*
> > kernel version : uname -r -   *2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
> > *
> > Are you *SURE* you're sending 1000? - *ya checked through packeth status
> > bar and also through ifconfig command*
> > I have connected them through LAN cable (cat 6) back to back.
> >
> > Changed cable but no use.
> > What should i do?
> >
> Break down the problem. Get that smart switch to tell you if the packets
> are lost by the sender of the receiver.
>
> Test if it's bidirectional (i.e. does it still happen if the switch the
> sender and receiver)?
>
> Does it still happen if you send only 100 packets? Do you still lose 30%
> then, or do you lose more or less?
>
> Perhaps try a kernel that isn't nearly five years old too.
>
> Also, don't top-post.
>
> Regards,
> Kristof

Hey Sir,