* virtio specification: OOO completion of the xmit buffers in the networking device
@ 2014-06-02 13:33 Vlad Zolotarov
From: Vlad Zolotarov @ 2014-06-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rusty, kvm

Rusty, hi!
I'd like to ask for a small clarification about the virtio spec.
The virtio specification is put the way that it allows the out-of-order
completions in general. Although it states that it's mostly relevant to
the virtio-blk it doesn't explicitly bans it for virtio networking
devices (for generality?).

(AFAICS the current virtio HV implementations make sure there is no OOO
Tx buffers completions).

I wonder if this feature (OOO Tx buffers completions) seems practical to
u and if not can I hope that it could be clearly stated in the future
virtio specification releases that it's forbidden?

thanks in advance,
vlad

* Re: virtio specification: OOO completion of the xmit buffers in the networking device
@ 2014-06-04  3:52 ` Rusty Russell
From: Rusty Russell @ 2014-06-04  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlad Zolotarov, kvm; +Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin

Vlad Zolotarov <vladz@cloudius-systems.com> writes:
> Rusty, hi!
> I'd like to ask for a small clarification about the virtio spec.
> The virtio specification is put the way that it allows the out-of-order
> completions in general. Although it states that it's mostly relevant to
> the virtio-blk it doesn't explicitly bans it for virtio networking
> devices (for generality?).

Indeed.

> (AFAICS the current virtio HV implementations make sure there is no OOO
> Tx buffers completions).
>
> I wonder if this feature (OOO Tx buffers completions) seems practical to
> u and if not can I hope that it could be clearly stated in the future
> virtio specification releases that it's forbidden?

Are you sure that vhost-net doesn't allow async completion already?
I can't immediately see why it can't happen, but MST is CC'd.

Cheers,
Rusty.

* Re: virtio specification: OOO completion of the xmit buffers in the networking device
@ 2014-06-04 18:54   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2014-06-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusty Russell; +Cc: Vlad Zolotarov, kvm

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 01:22:49PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Vlad Zolotarov <vladz@cloudius-systems.com> writes:
> > Rusty, hi!
> > I'd like to ask for a small clarification about the virtio spec.
> > The virtio specification is put the way that it allows the out-of-order
> > completions in general. Although it states that it's mostly relevant to
> > the virtio-blk it doesn't explicitly bans it for virtio networking
> > devices (for generality?).
>
> Indeed.
>
> > (AFAICS the current virtio HV implementations make sure there is no OOO
> > Tx buffers completions).
> >
> > I wonder if this feature (OOO Tx buffers completions) seems practical to
> > u and if not can I hope that it could be clearly stated in the future
> > virtio specification releases that it's forbidden?
>
> Are you sure that vhost-net doesn't allow async completion already?
> I can't immediately see why it can't happen, but MST is CC'd.
>
> Cheers,
> Rusty.

vhost-net completes in order but this is just an implementation detail:
this allows keeping a couple of indexes for head/tail instead
of tracking requests individually.

We can change this in the future and
guest must allow out of order completions.

--
MST