* [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
@ 2014-06-24  9:49 Uffe Jakobsen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Uffe Jakobsen @ 2014-06-24  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi,

I'm returning to list management after some years (10) of absence.

I'm trying to solve a problem with some users originating and posting to
my lists from DKIM "restrained" sites.

Their posts to the lists gets rejected by receiving parts (sites) that
check for DKIM validity - hotmail.com being one site that seem to reject
the most.

One approach would be to setup proper SRS - I guess - but the number of
lists and users that I have are quite low - and hence i was looking for
an "easier" solution...

Any suggestions - How do you approach such problems ?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards Uffe :-)

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
@ 2014-06-24 10:08 ` Uffe Jakobsen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Uffe Jakobsen @ 2014-06-24 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 2014-06-24 12:00, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
> On 06/24/2014 11:49 AM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
>> Their posts to the lists gets rejected by receiving parts (sites) that
>> check for DKIM validity - hotmail.com being one site that seem to reject
>> the most.
>>
>> One approach would be to setup proper SRS - I guess - but the number of
>> lists and users that I have are quite low - and hence i was looking for
>> an "easier" solution...
>>
>> Any suggestions - How do you approach such problems ?
>
> Yes, either just forward the message (do not change the content/reply-to
> or anything else) or strip DKIM-Signature from incoming messages (using
> delheaders).
>
> The latter will not work if DMARC is being used, but I didn't have
> problems so far. YMMV.

Well, I've tried both your suggestions

The sending domain in question is @post11.tele.dk - and in that
combination the most problems is seen with recipients @hotmail.com

1) Plain forwarded messages from DKIM domains are rejected by hotmail. I
guess that they look at MAIL FROM and RCPT TO as well....

2) Stripping DKIM headers does not seem til help either - hotmail.com
still rejects.

/Uffe

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
@ 2014-06-24 11:19 ` Chris Knadle
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Knadle @ 2014-06-24 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:08:41 Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 12:00, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
> > On 06/24/2014 11:49 AM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
> >> Their posts to the lists gets rejected by receiving parts (sites) that
> >> check for DKIM validity - hotmail.com being one site that seem to reject
> >> the most.
> >>
> >> One approach would be to setup proper SRS - I guess - but the number of
> >> lists and users that I have are quite low - and hence i was looking for
> >> an "easier" solution...
> >>
> >> Any suggestions - How do you approach such problems ?
> >
> > Yes, either just forward the message (do not change the content/reply-to
> > or anything else) or strip DKIM-Signature from incoming messages (using
> > delheaders).
> >
> > The latter will not work if DMARC is being used, but I didn't have
> > problems so far. YMMV.
>
> Well, I've tried both your suggestions
>
> The sending domain in question is @post11.tele.dk - and in that
> combination the most problems is seen with recipients @hotmail.com
>
> 1) Plain forwarded messages from DKIM domains are rejected by hotmail. I
> guess that they look at MAIL FROM and RCPT TO as well....
>
> 2) Stripping DKIM headers does not seem til help either - hotmail.com
> still rejects.

It looks like tele.dk is another domain that is now using DMARC with
"p=reject" like AOL and Yahoo:( are.  Here's the test as to why I think that's
what's going on:

   $ dig _dmarc.tele.dk txt +short
   "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\; sp=none\; pct\x100\;"

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
@ 2014-06-24 13:41 ` Uffe Jakobsen
From: Uffe Jakobsen @ 2014-06-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 2014-06-24 13:19, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:08:41 Uffe Jakobsen wrote:

>>> Yes, either just forward the message (do not change the content/reply-to
>>> or anything else) or strip DKIM-Signature from incoming messages (using
>>> delheaders).
>>>
>>> The latter will not work if DMARC is being used, but I didn't have
>>> problems so far. YMMV.
>>
>> Well, I've tried both your suggestions
>>
>> The sending domain in question is @post11.tele.dk - and in that
>> combination the most problems is seen with recipients @hotmail.com
>>
>> 1) Plain forwarded messages from DKIM domains are rejected by hotmail. I
>> guess that they look at MAIL FROM and RCPT TO as well....
>>
>> 2) Stripping DKIM headers does not seem til help either - hotmail.com
>> still rejects.
>

> It looks like tele.dk is another domain that is now using DMARC with
> "p=reject" like AOL and Yahoo:( are.  Here's the test as to why I think that's
> what's going on:
>
>     $ dig _dmarc.tele.dk txt +short
>     "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\; sp=none\; pct\x100\;"

Ok, I need to read up on DMARC...

Would such DMARC record as stated above have an effect on a subdomain as
@post11.tele.dk ?

/Uffe

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-24 19:23 ` Chris Knadle
From: Chris Knadle @ 2014-06-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 15:41:11 Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 13:19, Chris Knadle wrote:

> >> Well, I've tried both your suggestions
> >>
> >> The sending domain in question is @post11.tele.dk - and in that
> >> combination the most problems is seen with recipients @hotmail.com
> >>
> >> 1) Plain forwarded messages from DKIM domains are rejected by hotmail. I
> >> guess that they look at MAIL FROM and RCPT TO as well....
> >>
> >> 2) Stripping DKIM headers does not seem til help either - hotmail.com
> >> still rejects.
> >
> > It looks like tele.dk is another domain that is now using DMARC with
> > "p=reject" like AOL and Yahoo:( are.  Here's the test as to why I think
> > that's>
> > what's going on:
> >     $ dig _dmarc.tele.dk txt +short
> >     "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\; sp=none\; pct\x100\;"
>
> Ok, I need to read up on DMARC...
>
> Would such DMARC record as stated above have an effect on a subdomain as
> @post11.tele.dk ?

It isn't clear.  This is what I'm able to find on the subject so far:

   http://dmarc.org/faq.html#s_21

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj and DKIM
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-25  6:32 ` A. Schulze
From: A. Schulze @ 2014-06-25  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Uffe Jakobsen:

> I'm trying to solve a problem with some users originating and
> posting to my lists from DKIM "restrained" sites.
> Any suggestions - How do you approach such problems ?

Hello,

we had a similar question a month ago (unfortunately not visible in
the archive)
I suggest to simply not modify any message content. Not only on
listservers - any MTA
should be configured to avoid unnecessary content modification.

In case of mlmmj thats easy.

$ rm ${LIST_HOME}/control/prefix
$ rm ${LIST_HOME}/control/footer
$ rm ${LIST_HOME}/control/delheaders

also I suggest to add a set of standard headers. These are normally
not covered by DKIM signatures
and should not invalidate them.

$ cat ${LIST_HOME}/control/customheaders

Andreas