* Need help adding support for X1 Carbon 2nd Gen's Keyboard
@ 2014-09-08 20:19 José Díez
From: José Díez @ 2014-09-08 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-input

Hello linux-input,

This is my first post on this mailing list (or on any other kernel list,
actually), so sorry if I break unwritten ettiquete. Please let me know.

So I recently got a X1 Carbon Thinkpad, and so far everything has been
working flawlessly, but the Adaptive Keyboard generates some ACPI HKEY
events with scancodes that are not currently recognised. They are
reported to the kernel successfully so one could set up shortcuts by
using something like `acpid`, but perhaps it would be better if it
generated normal key presses (i.e XF86Something).

I've read through most of the thinkpad_acpi.c code and understand most
of it, but so far I've been unable to report normal keyboard events from
there (and I don't even know if it would be the correct thing to do.)

I must also say that these keys are somewhat odd. In one of the modes,
there are icons for "snippet tool", "cloud", "man speaking", "hands in
front of camera". I'm not sure what would be the best way to report
these, so I seek your advice here.

At the very least, I can list which scancode is generated by each key.

* Re: Need help adding support for X1 Carbon 2nd Gen's Keyboard
@ 2014-09-08 21:54 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2014-09-08 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: José Díez; +Cc: linux-input

Hi José,

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:19:11PM +0200, José Díez wrote:
> Hello linux-input,
>
> This is my first post on this mailing list (or on any other kernel
> list, actually), so sorry if I break unwritten ettiquete. Please let
> me know.
>
> So I recently got a X1 Carbon Thinkpad, and so far everything has
> been working flawlessly, but the Adaptive Keyboard generates some
> ACPI HKEY events with scancodes that are not currently recognised.
> They are reported to the kernel successfully so one could set up
> shortcuts by using something like `acpid`, but perhaps it would be
> better if it generated normal key presses (i.e XF86Something).
>
> I've read through most of the thinkpad_acpi.c code and understand
> most of it, but so far I've been unable to report normal keyboard
> events from there (and I don't even know if it would be the correct
> thing to do.)
>
> I must also say that these keys are somewhat odd. In one of the
> modes, there are icons for "snippet tool", "cloud", "man speaking",
> "hands in front of camera". I'm not sure what would be the best way
> to report these, so I seek your advice here.
>
> At the very least, I can list which scancode is generated by each key.

It would be helpful to know what cations the vendor driver maps for
these keys in Windows (if you still have it available). Then we could
try to come with existing input event definitions for the actions (or
maybe we'd need to add new ones) and map them to the events in
thinkpad_acpi.c.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry