* repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-22 21:03 David Miller
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-22 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

There are various vendor switch SDKs (some opensource, some not),
vendor switch hardware specification documents, etc. scattered all
over the place.

I was about to start doing my own research trying to find all of this
crap, but what a complete waste of time that's going to be if other
developers embark upon the same task starting from scratch just as I
would.

Therefore I'd like people to reply to this email if they know of the
location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
updates for.

Thanks!

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-22 21:30 ` Scott Feldman
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Feldman @ 2015-02-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: Netdev

OF-DPA specs from Broadcom are here:

1.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_OASS-ETP101-R.pdf
2.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_ASSV-ETP200-R.pdf

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

> There are various vendor switch SDKs (some opensource, some not),
> vendor switch hardware specification documents, etc. scattered all
> over the place.
>
> I was about to start doing my own research trying to find all of this
> crap, but what a complete waste of time that's going to be if other
> developers embark upon the same task starting from scratch just as I
> would.
>
> Therefore I'd like people to reply to this email if they know of the
> location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
> it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
> updates for.
>
> Thanks!

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-22 21:40 ` Andrew Lunn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2015-02-22 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netdev

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 04:03:45PM -0500, David Miller wrote:

> There are various vendor switch SDKs (some opensource, some not),
> vendor switch hardware specification documents, etc. scattered all
> over the place.

Hi David

Marvell has one public datasheet:

http://www.marvell.com/switching/assets/marvell_linkstreet_88E6060_datasheet.pdf

Marvell also have reference code, which is GPL, but is the usual
vendor quality. There does not appear to be an official Marvell
location for it, but there are a few copies lying around, e.g:

https://github.com/mmilburn/marvell-switch

which was extracted from the WRT1900ac tarball of GPL sources.

      Andrew

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-22 21:41   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-22 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfeldma; +Cc: netdev

From: Scott Feldman <sfeldma@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:30:01 -0800

> OF-DPA specs from Broadcom are here:
>
> 1.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_OASS-ETP101-R.pdf
> 2.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_ASSV-ETP200-R.pdf

Thanks Scott, I started collecting everything here:

	http://vger.kernel.org/switch_info.html

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-22 21:59   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew; +Cc: netdev

From: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 22:40:32 +0100

> Marvell has one public datasheet:
>
> http://www.marvell.com/switching/assets/marvell_linkstreet_88E6060_datasheet.pdf
>
> Marvell also have reference code, which is GPL, but is the usual
> vendor quality. There does not appear to be an official Marvell
> location for it, but there are a few copies lying around, e.g:
>
> https://github.com/mmilburn/marvell-switch
>
> which was extracted from the WRT1900ac tarball of GPL sources.

Added, thanks!

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-23  8:57   ` Richard Cochran
From: Richard Cochran @ 2015-02-23  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: David Miller, netdev

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:40:32PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Marvell also have reference code, which is GPL, but is the usual
> vendor quality. There does not appear to be an official Marvell
> location for it, but there are a few copies lying around, e.g:

Strangely, it appears that you need to sign an NDA in order to gain
access to the GPL'ed driver sources.  Go figure.

Thanks,
Richard

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-23 13:03 ` Jamal Hadi Salim
       [not found] ` <CANmuVZcYEyoqDhtY+5UWakYqYa6MqO4hj2MNwE1uWH=hcUKcrA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2015-02-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, netdev
  Cc: marichika4, siva.mannem.lnx, Neil Horman, Andy Gospodarek

The most prominent switch sdk (90% of the market?) is from
broadcom and is not publicly available:
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Switching/Software/FASTPATH

Ccing a couple of people i know were in a past life or are in a current
life involved in ICOS so they can comment if there is a better
reference.

cheers,
jamal

@ 2015-02-23 13:04   ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2015-02-23 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, netdev
  Cc: marichika4, siva.mannem.lnx, Neil Horman, Andy Gospodarek

The data sheet is here:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/sb/FASTPATH-SB313-R.pdf

cheers,
jamal

@ 2015-02-23 13:19     ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2015-02-23 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Cochran, Andrew Lunn; +Cc: David Miller, netdev

On 02/23/15 03:57, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:40:32PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Marvell also have reference code, which is GPL, but is the usual
>> vendor quality. There does not appear to be an official Marvell
>> location for it, but there are a few copies lying around, e.g:
>
> Strangely, it appears that you need to sign an NDA in order to gain
> access to the GPL'ed driver sources.  Go figure.

Dave, info like this may also be useful to have on the page.
None of the broadcom or others i am using allow for any access
without NDA (even though some have GPL drivers).

cheers,
jamal

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-23 18:28   ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2015-02-23 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: David Miller, netdev, marichika4, siva.mannem.lnx, Neil Horman,
	Andy Gospodarek

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 08:03:26AM -0500, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
> The most prominent switch sdk (90% of the market?) is from
> broadcom and is not publicly available:
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/Switching/Software/FASTPATH
>
> Ccing a couple of people i know were in a past life or are in a current life
> involved in ICOS so they can comment if there is a better
> reference.

I'll try not to take offense at being left off your Cc list, especially
since I have no better information to provide... ;-)

> cheers,
> jamal
>
> On 02/22/15 16:03, David Miller wrote:
> >
> >There are various vendor switch SDKs (some opensource, some not),
> >vendor switch hardware specification documents, etc. scattered all
> >over the place.
> >
> >I was about to start doing my own research trying to find all of this
> >crap, but what a complete waste of time that's going to be if other
> >developers embark upon the same task starting from scratch just as I
> >would.
> >
> >Therefore I'd like people to reply to this email if they know of the
> >location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
> >it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
> >updates for.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >--

linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-23 21:34       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jhs; +Cc: richardcochran, andrew, netdev

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:19:34 -0500

> On 02/23/15 03:57, Richard Cochran wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:40:32PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> Marvell also have reference code, which is GPL, but is the usual
>>> vendor quality. There does not appear to be an official Marvell
>>> location for it, but there are a few copies lying around, e.g:
>>
>> Strangely, it appears that you need to sign an NDA in order to gain
>> access to the GPL'ed driver sources.  Go figure.
>>

> Dave, info like this may also be useful to have on the page.
> None of the broadcom or others i am using allow for any access
> without NDA (even though some have GPL drivers).

All added.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-24  8:34 ` Or Gerlitz
       [not found] ` <CANmuVZcYEyoqDhtY+5UWakYqYa6MqO4hj2MNwE1uWH=hcUKcrA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2015-02-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: Linux Netdev List, Sagi Rotem

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
> it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
> updates for.

Hi Dave,

Here are two quick links to the Mellanox switchX SDK

[1] SDK product brief -
http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/PB_SwitchX_SDK.pdf
[2] SDK API - https://github.com/Mellanox/SwitchX-interfaces

Or.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-24 16:54   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-24 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerlitz.or; +Cc: netdev, sagir

From: Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:34:42 +0200

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>> location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
>> it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
>> updates for.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Here are two quick links to the Mellanox switchX SDK
>
> [1] SDK product brief -
> http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/PB_SwitchX_SDK.pdf
> [2] SDK API - https://github.com/Mellanox/SwitchX-interfaces

Added, thanks.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-24 19:14     ` Or Gerlitz
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2015-02-24 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: Linux Netdev List, Sagi Rotem

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:54 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:34:42 +0200
>
>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>>> location of such resources.  Just give me the URL and I'll maintain
>>> it all on a public web page somewhere anyone can refer to or send me
>>> updates for.
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Here are two quick links to the Mellanox switchX SDK
>>
>> [1] SDK product brief -
>> http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/PB_SwitchX_SDK.pdf
>> [2] SDK API - https://github.com/Mellanox/SwitchX-interfaces
>
> Added, thanks.

Dave, just small correction... can you please add "X" to the first
link there and name it "SwitchX SDK product brief" -- thanks, Or.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-02-24 19:21       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-02-24 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerlitz.or; +Cc: netdev, sagir

From: Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:14:56 +0200

> Dave, just small correction... can you please add "X" to the first
> link there and name it "SwitchX SDK product brief" -- thanks, Or.

Updated, thanks.

@ 2015-03-02 19:05   ` Mathieu Olivari
From: Mathieu Olivari @ 2015-03-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Here is what's available publically for QCA devices.

AR8xxx/QCA8xxx (Ethernet xMII/MDIO based hardware switch widely deployed in home gateways):
- open source vendor SDK is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/lklm/qca-ssdk/ (configuration command can be found in https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/ssdk-shell/)
- same devices (AR8xxx/QCA8xxx) are also supported by OpenWrt using a swconfig based driver: http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=tree;f=target/linux/generic/files/drivers/net/phy;h=ceb9d8c46e7ffb936e3e56dcf77a0253fa5b3468;hb=HEAD (files ar8216.c & ar8327.c)

IPQ806x (NPU we talked about during netdev01):
- code is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/
Driver is split between oss/lklm/nss-drv, oss/lklm/nss-gmac and oss/lklm/qca-nss-ecm.

Both hardware can easily be found in home routers on the market today.

Thanks,
Mathieu

@ 2015-03-02 20:40     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-03-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mathieu; +Cc: netdev

From: "Mathieu Olivari" <mathieu@codeaurora.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:05:28 -0800

> Here is what's available publically for QCA devices.
>
> AR8xxx/QCA8xxx (Ethernet xMII/MDIO based hardware switch widely deployed in home gateways):
> - open source vendor SDK is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/lklm/qca-ssdk/ (configuration command can be found in https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/ssdk-shell/)
> - same devices (AR8xxx/QCA8xxx) are also supported by OpenWrt using a swconfig based driver: http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=tree;f=target/linux/generic/files/drivers/net/phy;h=ceb9d8c46e7ffb936e3e56dcf77a0253fa5b3468;hb=HEAD (files ar8216.c & ar8327.c)
>
> IPQ806x (NPU we talked about during netdev01):
> - code is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/
> Driver is split between oss/lklm/nss-drv, oss/lklm/nss-gmac and oss/lklm/qca-nss-ecm.
>
> Both hardware can easily be found in home routers on the market today.

Please post this publicly on the mailing list rather than as a private
email to just me.

@ 2015-03-02 20:57       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-03-02 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mathieu; +Cc: netdev

From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:40:06 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Mathieu Olivari" <mathieu@codeaurora.org>
> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:05:28 -0800
>
>> Here is what's available publically for QCA devices.
>>
>> AR8xxx/QCA8xxx (Ethernet xMII/MDIO based hardware switch widely deployed in home gateways):
>> - open source vendor SDK is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/lklm/qca-ssdk/ (configuration command can be found in https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/ssdk-shell/)
>> - same devices (AR8xxx/QCA8xxx) are also supported by OpenWrt using a swconfig based driver: http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=tree;f=target/linux/generic/files/drivers/net/phy;h=ceb9d8c46e7ffb936e3e56dcf77a0253fa5b3468;hb=HEAD (files ar8216.c & ar8327.c)
>>
>> IPQ806x (NPU we talked about during netdev01):
>> - code is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/
>> Driver is split between oss/lklm/nss-drv, oss/lklm/nss-gmac and oss/lklm/qca-nss-ecm.
>>
>> Both hardware can easily be found in home routers on the market today.
>
> Please post this publicly on the mailing list rather than as a private
> email to just me.

Sorry I'm an idiot, I didn't see netdev in the CC: :-)

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-03-10 13:32         ` Siva Mannem
From: Siva Mannem @ 2015-03-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: Netdev

Hi David,

Broadcom's Open Network Switch Library is available at the below location.

https://github.com/Broadcom-Switch/OpenNSL

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:27 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
> Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:40:06 -0500 (EST)
>
>> From: "Mathieu Olivari" <mathieu@codeaurora.org>
>> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:05:28 -0800
>>
>>> Here is what's available publically for QCA devices.
>>>
>>> AR8xxx/QCA8xxx (Ethernet xMII/MDIO based hardware switch widely deployed in home gateways):
>>> - open source vendor SDK is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/lklm/qca-ssdk/ (configuration command can be found in https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/oss/ssdk-shell/)
>>> - same devices (AR8xxx/QCA8xxx) are also supported by OpenWrt using a swconfig based driver: http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=tree;f=target/linux/generic/files/drivers/net/phy;h=ceb9d8c46e7ffb936e3e56dcf77a0253fa5b3468;hb=HEAD (files ar8216.c & ar8327.c)
>>>
>>> IPQ806x (NPU we talked about during netdev01):
>>> - code is available here: https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/qsdk/
>>> Driver is split between oss/lklm/nss-drv, oss/lklm/nss-gmac and oss/lklm/qca-nss-ecm.
>>>
>>> Both hardware can easily be found in home routers on the market today.
>>
>> Please post this publicly on the mailing list rather than as a private
>> email to just me.
>
> Sorry I'm an idiot, I didn't see netdev in the CC: :-)

Siva Mannem.

* Re: repository for switch hardware info
@ 2015-03-11 20:30           ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-03-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: siva.mannem.lnx; +Cc: netdev

From: Siva Mannem <siva.mannem.lnx@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:02:58 +0530

@ 2015-03-15 20:31     ` Jiri Pirko
From: Jiri Pirko @ 2015-03-15 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: sfeldma, netdev

Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41:46PM CET, davem@davemloft.net wrote:
>From: Scott Feldman <sfeldma@gmail.com>
>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:30:01 -0800
>
>> OF-DPA specs from Broadcom are here:
>>
>> 1.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_OASS-ETP101-R.pdf
>> 2.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_ASSV-ETP200-R.pdf
>
>Thanks Scott, I started collecting everything here:
>
>	http://vger.kernel.org/switch_info.html

I believe that the last item should be "Qualcomm" rather than "Qlogic"

@ 2015-03-16  2:00       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-03-16  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiri; +Cc: sfeldma, netdev

From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:31:37 +0100

> Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41:46PM CET, davem@davemloft.net wrote:
>>From: Scott Feldman <sfeldma@gmail.com>
>>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:30:01 -0800
>>
>>> OF-DPA specs from Broadcom are here:
>>>
>>> 1.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_OASS-ETP101-R.pdf
>>> 2.0: http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/etp/OFDPA_ASSV-ETP200-R.pdf
>>
>>Thanks Scott, I started collecting everything here:
>>
>>	http://vger.kernel.org/switch_info.html
>

> I believe that the last item should be "Qualcomm" rather than "Qlogic"

Fixed, thanks.