* [Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX
@ 2015-03-19 13:21 Frank Hunleth
From: Frank Hunleth @ 2015-03-19 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Frank

* [Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX
@ 2015-03-19 21:11 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2015-03-19 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 19/03/15 14:21, Frank Hunleth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

 IIRC there have been some patches to improve the OSX support, but I don't think
it's really been followed up so probably some scripts have bitrotted.

 Also bash is a hard dependency, but that shouldn't be an issue I suppose.

 Regards,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX
@ 2015-03-20 18:08 ` Waldemar Brodkorb
From: Waldemar Brodkorb @ 2015-03-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Frank,
Frank Hunleth wrote,

> Hi,
>
> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

Once I tried to do this, but there wasn't much interest to carry
needed patches in buildroot. It is hard to get these Darwin-to-Linux
cross-compile patches into upstream projects.
Recently I discussed some of the patches I am using in OpenADK with
a friend and we will try to reduce them and do it in a better way,
which might even be usable for buildroot.

So for now, you could play with OpenADK, which I use to
cross-compile Linux Embedded stuff on my Mac with Homebrew.

best regards
 Waldemar

* [Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX
@ 2015-03-21 22:04   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2015-03-21 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

>> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
 >> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
 >> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
 >> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
 >> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
 >> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

 > Once I tried to do this, but there wasn't much interest to carry
 > needed patches in buildroot. It is hard to get these Darwin-to-Linux
 > cross-compile patches into upstream projects.
 > Recently I discussed some of the patches I am using in OpenADK with
 > a friend and we will try to reduce them and do it in a better way,
 > which might even be usable for buildroot.

In general, using anything else than a Linux system to build Linux
systems is bound to cause extra issues. To my knowledge, nobody uses
Buildroot with a !Linux host on any regular schedule.

I don't mind simple fixes, but users on !Linux should not expect full
functionality, and I am not interested in carrying any big / feature
patches for it.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX
@ 2015-03-21 22:17     ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2015-03-21 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Peter, All,

On 2015-03-21 23:04 +0100, Peter Korsgaard spake thusly:
> >> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
>  >> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
>  >> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
>  >> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
>  >> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
>  >> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?
>
>  > Once I tried to do this, but there wasn't much interest to carry
>  > needed patches in buildroot. It is hard to get these Darwin-to-Linux
>  > cross-compile patches into upstream projects.
>  > Recently I discussed some of the patches I am using in OpenADK with
>  > a friend and we will try to reduce them and do it in a better way,
>  > which might even be usable for buildroot.
>
> In general, using anything else than a Linux system to build Linux
> systems is bound to cause extra issues. To my knowledge, nobody uses
> Buildroot with a !Linux host on any regular schedule.
>
> I don't mind simple fixes, but users on !Linux should not expect full
> functionality, and I am not interested in carrying any big / feature
> patches for it.

Fully agreed.

Patches that are "portability cleanups", like changing '#!/bin/sh' to
'#!/usr/bin/env bash' for example, are probably acceptable.

Anything that adds complexity and/or different code-paths are probably
to be avoided. And patches to packages to make them build on MacOS are
to be banned (unless upstream accepts them first).

Seriously, there's no better platform for doing Linux development than a
Linux box. At worst, a VM would do the trick.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.