* [GIT PULL] Cosmetic fixes round 3 and other fixes
@ 2016-07-09  6:24 Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-09  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

Hi Paul,

Today, because of the weather, I have time to do clean up the cosmetic
fixes. Appended are two pull requests.

1st one is of *non-cosmetic* fixes which are mostly typo fixes but
requires careful review.

Note that the 1st commit "future: Miscellaneous possible fixes" contains
both non-cosmetic and cosmetic fixes. I thought of separating them,
but it is not so large and I assume it is not so difficult to review.
If you don't agree, please blame me.

The last commit "Add 'hypcap' package to make hyperref go to top of
figure and table" modifies the behavior of Table and Figure links
in PDF. I think this is an improvement.

2nd request is of *costmetic* fixes which are mostly the same fixes
I have done lately. But there are other types of fixes included here.

In qqz, there are a few unnecessary paragraph breaks that affect the
layout of Appendix D. On the other hand, there are a few places that
require paragraph breaks but miss blank lines in the source.
Those commits beginning with "qqz: " fix them.

The commits "Use \centering instead of center environment (part 1 -- 5)"
abandon the use of "center" environment within "table" and "figure"
environments and replac them with simple \centering commands.
They remove extra vertical spaces above captions. These commits
touch a lot of places and cause the large diff stats.

The following 3 commits tweaks layout and size of Tables and Figures.
The changes made in commit "Tweak sizes and positions of Tables and
Figures" should be thought of as tentative tweaks. And I'm not sure
the editor likes the tweaks.

The last commit "SMPdesign: Restore effect of \cleardoublepage" is
added because the changes made in this series result in a denser
overall layout.

Note that "future: Miscellaneous possible fixes" is picked on both
branches to avoid conflicts with later commits.

                                                 Thanks, Akira

---
The following changes since commit 009dcf8d442c61859cdbf06b221c9fbb5aa5fb91:

   Add RT chapter to the Section 1.1 roadmap (2016-07-08 19:55:22 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git non-cosmetic-fixes

for you to fetch changes up to 749479a4fa1cb9564b6683dd267fb99f4bdf5110:

   Add 'hypcap' package to make hyperref go to top of figure and table (2016-07-09 12:59:32 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (7):
       future: Miscellaneous possible fixes
       future: Use \QuickQuizARef{} for reference to QQA
       after: Typo fixes
       time: Typo fix
       Typo fixes in Quick Quizzes
       rt: Typo fix in QQA
       Add 'hypcap' package to make hyperref go to top of figure and table

  advsync/memorybarriers.tex   |  2 +-
  appendix/questions/after.tex |  4 ++--
  appendix/questions/time.tex  |  2 +-
  future/HTMtable.tex          |  3 ++-
  future/HTMtableRCU.tex       |  2 +-
  future/future.tex            |  4 ++--
  future/htm.tex               | 16 ++++++++--------
  future/tm.tex                |  6 +++---
  locking/locking.tex          |  2 ++
  perfbook.tex                 |  1 +
  rt/rt.tex                    |  2 +-
  together/applyrcu.tex        |  2 +-

---
The following changes since commit 009dcf8d442c61859cdbf06b221c9fbb5aa5fb91:

   Add RT chapter to the Section 1.1 roadmap (2016-07-08 19:55:22 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git cosmetic-fixes-round-3

for you to fetch changes up to 67aae72180cbe2743b011ca5c0f123b3dffc41bc:

   SMPdesign: Restore effect of \cleardoublepage (2016-07-09 13:42:24 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (21):
       future: Miscellaneous possible fixes
       after: Centering figures of verbatim code examples
       after: Tweak font size of Figure A.2
       after: Use \path command for path names
       primitives: Use \path for path name
       primitives: Centering figures of verbatim code examples
       qqz: Replace redundant blank lines with comment lines
       qqz: Use \minipage{} environment for code snippet
       qqz: Add blank lines for proper paragraph breaks
       qqz: More replacement of redundant blank lines with comment lines
       appendix: Centering tables and figures
       Use \centering instead of center environment (part 1)
       Use \centering instead of center environment (part 2)
       Use \centering instead of center environment (part 3)
       Use \centering instead of center environment (part 4)
       Use \centering instead of center environment (part 5)
       toolsoftrade: qqa: Add paragraph break around minipage
       SMPdesign: Tweak table 'Schematic of Real-World Parallel Allocator'
       defer: Use 'tabulary' for some tables
       Tweak sizes and positions of Tables and Figures
       SMPdesign: Restore effect of \cleardoublepage

  SMPdesign/SMPdesign.tex              | 89 +++++++++++++++---------------------
  SMPdesign/beyond.tex                 | 36 +++++----------
  SMPdesign/partexercises.tex          | 38 ++++++---------
  advsync/memorybarriers.tex           | 76 +++++++++++++-----------------
  advsync/rcu.tex                      | 18 +++-----
  appendix/primitives/primitives.tex   | 42 ++++++++++-------
  appendix/questions/after.tex         | 33 +++++++------
  appendix/questions/time.tex          |  3 +-
  appendix/rcuhist/RCUinLinux.tex      |  9 ++--
  appendix/rcuimpl/rcupreempt.tex      | 30 ++++--------
  appendix/rcuimpl/rcutree.tex         | 27 ++++-------
  appendix/rcuimpl/rcutreewt.tex       | 12 ++---
  appendix/rcuimpl/srcu.tex            |  9 ++--
  appendix/whymb/whymemorybarriers.tex | 67 ++++++++++++---------------
  count/count.tex                      | 47 ++++++++-----------
  cpu/hwfreelunch.tex                  |  3 +-
  cpu/overheads.tex                    | 10 ++--
  cpu/overview.tex                     | 24 ++++------
  datastruct/datastruct.tex            | 78 ++++++++++++-------------------
  debugging/debugging.tex              | 20 +++-----
  defer/defer.tex                      |  5 +-
  defer/hazptr.tex                     |  2 +-
  defer/rcuapi.tex                     | 65 ++++++++++++--------------
  defer/rcufundamental.tex             | 21 +++------
  defer/rcuintro.tex                   |  9 ++--
  defer/rcuusage.tex                   | 42 +++++++----------
  defer/refcnt.tex                     | 11 +++--
  defer/seqlock.tex                    |  5 +-
  defer/toyrcu.tex                     | 16 +++----
  defer/whichtochoose.tex              |  3 +-
  easy/easy.tex                        |  6 +--
  formal/axiomatic.tex                 |  4 +-
  formal/dyntickrcu.tex                |  3 +-
  formal/spinhint.tex                  | 10 ++--
  future/HTMtable.tex                  |  6 +--
  future/HTMtableRCU.tex               |  7 ++-
  future/cpu.tex                       | 24 ++++------
  future/future.tex                    |  4 +-
  future/htm.tex                       | 22 +++++----
  future/tm.tex                        | 18 +++-----
  intro/intro.tex                      | 18 +++-----
  locking/locking.tex                  | 27 ++++-------
  perfbook.tex                         |  1 +
  rt/rt.tex                            | 48 +++++++------------
  toolsoftrade/toolsoftrade.tex        | 15 +++---

* Re: [GIT PULL] Cosmetic fixes round 3 and other fixes
@ 2016-07-10 14:41 ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-10 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 03:24:51PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Today, because of the weather, I have time to do clean up the cosmetic
> fixes. Appended are two pull requests.

Very good!  I pulled both and pushed them out.  I made a small change
to the label for the table that you (rightly) changed to a figure,
so that it is prefixed by "tab:" rather than "fig:".

							Thanx, Paul

@ 2016-07-10 15:08   ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-10 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/07/10 23:41, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 03:24:51PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Today, because of the weather, I have time to do clean up the cosmetic
>> fixes. Appended are two pull requests.
>
> Very good!  I pulled both and pushed them out.  I made a small change
> to the label for the table that you (rightly) changed to a figure,
> so that it is prefixed by "tab:" rather than "fig:".

Oh, I missed those labels...

So, I reviewed latex source of recently added figures.
You are still using 'center' environment within 'figure' environment.
That will cause extra small vertical spacing between the body of the
figure and its caption.

In stead of doing such as:

\begin{figure}[tb]
\begin{center}
\resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
\end{center}
\caption{foo bar}
\label{fig:foo bar}
\end{figure}

please do this way:

\begin{figure}[tb]
\centering
\resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
\caption{foo bar}
\label{fig:foo bar}
\end{figure}

Also, there are templates in ".Templates/figure-graphics" that
use the 'center' environment. They should also be fixed to use
\centering instead.

For reference, please see (for example):

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/2651/should-i-use-center-or-centering-for-figures-and-tables

for people's opinions. (The long URL might be wrapped arround)

                                            Thanks, Akira

@ 2016-07-10 15:35     ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-10 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:08:11AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/10 23:41, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> >On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 03:24:51PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >>Hi Paul,
> >>
> >>Today, because of the weather, I have time to do clean up the cosmetic
> >>fixes. Appended are two pull requests.
> >
> >Very good!  I pulled both and pushed them out.  I made a small change
> >to the label for the table that you (rightly) changed to a figure,
> >so that it is prefixed by "tab:" rather than "fig:".
> >

> Oh, I missed those labels...
>
> So, I reviewed latex source of recently added figures.
> You are still using 'center' environment within 'figure' environment.
> That will cause extra small vertical spacing between the body of the
> figure and its caption.
>
> In stead of doing such as:
>
> \begin{figure}[tb]
> \begin{center}
> \resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
> \end{center}
> \caption{foo bar}
> \label{fig:foo bar}
> \end{figure}
>
> please do this way:
>
> \begin{figure}[tb]
> \centering
> \resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
> \caption{foo bar}
> \label{fig:foo bar}
> \end{figure}

I fixed the one that I added to defer/refcnt.tex, good catch.

> Also, there are templates in ".Templates/figure-graphics" that
> use the 'center' environment. They should also be fixed to use
> \centering instead.

Actually, unless you have objections, I intend to remove them.  My
practice for a long time has been to copy existing figures.  In fact,
I had forgotten that the .Template directory even existed.  ;-)

And that is how the new figure was done the old way -- I copied the
definition before I applied your changes.

> For reference, please see (for example):
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/2651/should-i-use-center-or-centering-for-figures-and-tables
>
> for people's opinions. (The long URL might be wrapped arround)

Fair enough!

							Thanx, Paul

@ 2016-07-10 23:01       ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-10 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, 会社ぴか

On 2016/07/10 08:35:02 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:08:11AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> Very good!  I pulled both and pushed them out.  I made a small change
>>> to the label for the table that you (rightly) changed to a figure,
>>> so that it is prefixed by "tab:" rather than "fig:".
>>>

>> Oh, I missed those labels...
>>
>> So, I reviewed latex source of recently added figures.
>> You are still using 'center' environment within 'figure' environment.
>> That will cause extra small vertical spacing between the body of the
>> figure and its caption.
>>
>> In stead of doing such as:
>>
>> \begin{figure}[tb]
>> \begin{center}
>> \resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
>> \end{center}
>> \caption{foo bar}
>> \label{fig:foo bar}
>> \end{figure}
>>
>> please do this way:
>>
>> \begin{figure}[tb]
>> \centering
>> \resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
>> \caption{foo bar}
>> \label{fig:foo bar}
>> \end{figure}
>
> I fixed the one that I added to defer/refcnt.tex, good catch.
>
>> Also, there are templates in ".Templates/figure-graphics" that
>> use the 'center' environment. They should also be fixed to use
>> \centering instead.
>
> Actually, unless you have objections, I intend to remove them.  My
> practice for a long time has been to copy existing figures.  In fact,
> I had forgotten that the .Template directory even existed.  ;-)

I found the template by using emacs' 'grep-find' function.
So feel free to remove them.

There remains one use of 'center' environment in
/advsync/memorybarriers.tex.
I left it as is since it is not nested in another environment.

But it might be a good idea to promote it to a full-fledged figure with
a caption. It's up to your preference.

And there is another suggestion I'd like to make.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to advertize the cross-link feature of qqz
somewhere, for example in the Answer of Quick Quick 1.3?

                                                     Thanks, Akira

> And that is how the new figure was done the old way -- I copied the
> definition before I applied your changes.
>
>> For reference, please see (for example):
>>
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/2651/should-i-use-center-or-centering-for-figures-and-tables
>>
>> for people's opinions. (The long URL might be wrapped arround)
>
> Fair enough!
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

[...]

* Re: [GIT PULL] Cosmetic fixes round 3 and other fixes
@ 2016-07-10 23:22         ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook, 会社ぴか

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 08:01:23AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/10 08:35:02 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >>Oh, I missed those labels...
> >>
> >>So, I reviewed latex source of recently added figures.
> >>You are still using 'center' environment within 'figure' environment.
> >>That will cause extra small vertical spacing between the body of the
> >>figure and its caption.
> >>
> >>In stead of doing such as:
> >>
> >>\begin{figure}[tb]
> >>\begin{center}
> >>\resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
> >>\end{center}
> >>\caption{foo bar}
> >>\label{fig:foo bar}
> >>\end{figure}
> >>
> >>please do this way:
> >>
> >>\begin{figure}[tb]
> >>\centering
> >>\resizebox{{2.5in}{!}{\includegraphics{path-to-figure}}
> >>\caption{foo bar}
> >>\label{fig:foo bar}
> >>\end{figure}
> >
> >I fixed the one that I added to defer/refcnt.tex, good catch.
> >
> >>Also, there are templates in ".Templates/figure-graphics" that
> >>use the 'center' environment. They should also be fixed to use
> >>\centering instead.
> >
> >Actually, unless you have objections, I intend to remove them.  My
> >practice for a long time has been to copy existing figures.  In fact,
> >I had forgotten that the .Template directory even existed.  ;-)
>
> I found the template by using emacs' 'grep-find' function.
> So feel free to remove them.
>
> There remains one use of 'center' environment in
> /advsync/memorybarriers.tex.
> I left it as is since it is not nested in another environment.
>
> But it might be a good idea to promote it to a full-fledged figure with
> a caption. It's up to your preference.

There are a number of minipage environments that might want to be
figures.  But there are so many of them in some places that latex's
figure-placement algorithm gets overwhelmed.

> And there is another suggestion I'd like to make.
>
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to advertize the cross-link feature of qqz
> somewhere, for example in the Answer of Quick Quick 1.3?

Like this?

							Thanx, Paul

commit 22f83a69d5dd496456b3975c5482b20af002927a
Author: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Date:   Sun Jul 10 16:20:22 2016 -0700

    Add instructions on using quick-quiz hyperlinks

    Reported-by: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>
    Signed-off-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>

diff --git a/howto/howto.tex b/howto/howto.tex
index 7c6ef9de4739..177395fc85ca 100644
--- a/howto/howto.tex
+++ b/howto/howto.tex
@@ -206,6 +206,12 @@ Here are a few possible strategies:
 	expect to be called upon to generate parallel solutions given
 	only a blank sheet of paper.
 \end{enumerate}
+
+Note that as of mid-2016 the quick quizzes are hyperlinked
+to the answer and vice versa, courtesy of Paolo Bonzini
+and Akira Yokosawa.
+Click either the ``Quick Quiz'' headings or the small squares
+to move back and forth between quiz and answer.
 } \QuickQuizEnd

 In short, if you need a deep

* Re: [GIT PULL] Cosmetic fixes round 3 and other fixes
@ 2016-07-11 11:55           ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-11 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/07/10 16:22:36 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 08:01:23AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> I fixed the one that I added to defer/refcnt.tex, good catch.

>>> Actually, unless you have objections, I intend to remove them.  My
>>> practice for a long time has been to copy existing figures.  In fact,
>>> I had forgotten that the .Template directory even existed.  ;-)
>>
>> I found the template by using emacs' 'grep-find' function.
>> So feel free to remove them.
>>
>> There remains one use of 'center' environment in
>> /advsync/memorybarriers.tex.
>> I left it as is since it is not nested in another environment.
>>
>> But it might be a good idea to promote it to a full-fledged figure with
>> a caption. It's up to your preference.
>
> There are a number of minipage environments that might want to be
> figures.  But there are so many of them in some places that latex's
> figure-placement algorithm gets overwhelmed.
>
>> And there is another suggestion I'd like to make.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea to advertize the cross-link feature of qqz
>> somewhere, for example in the Answer of Quick Quick 1.3?
>
> Like this?
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

> commit 22f83a69d5dd496456b3975c5482b20af002927a
> Author: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> Date:   Sun Jul 10 16:20:22 2016 -0700
>
>     Add instructions on using quick-quiz hyperlinks
>
>     Reported-by: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>
>     Signed-off-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>
> diff --git a/howto/howto.tex b/howto/howto.tex
> index 7c6ef9de4739..177395fc85ca 100644
> --- a/howto/howto.tex
> +++ b/howto/howto.tex
> @@ -206,6 +206,12 @@ Here are a few possible strategies:
>  	expect to be called upon to generate parallel solutions given
>  	only a blank sheet of paper.
>  \end{enumerate}
> +
> +Note that as of mid-2016 the quick quizzes are hyperlinked
> +to the answer and vice versa, courtesy of Paolo Bonzini
> +and Akira Yokosawa.
> +Click either the ``Quick Quiz'' headings or the small squares
> +to move back and forth between quiz and answer.
>  } \QuickQuizEnd
>
>  In short, if you need a deep

Well, I'm a bit annoyed to see my name here...
What about the appended patch? (You have pushed the above changes, so
this is relative to current master).
And please do *not* apply this as is. I prefer a Reported-by: tag here.

If you do want to mention our names, somewhere in Appendix F would be
a better place. I'm not insisting. It's up to your preference.

commit bd7618fa0b56b891abb2266fd89a3b061a22d932
Author: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jul 11 20:38:41 2016 +0900

     howto: Modify instructions on using quick-quiz hyperlinks

     Signed-off-by: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>

diff --git a/howto/howto.tex b/howto/howto.tex
index 177395f..3daf5ce 100644
--- a/howto/howto.tex
+++ b/howto/howto.tex
@@ -208,10 +208,10 @@ Here are a few possible strategies:
  \end{enumerate}

  Note that as of mid-2016 the quick quizzes are hyperlinked
-to the answer and vice versa, courtesy of Paolo Bonzini
-and Akira Yokosawa.
-Click either the ``Quick Quiz'' headings or the small squares
-to move back and forth between quiz and answer.
+to the answer and vice versa.
+While reading in a PDF reader, click either the ``Quick Quiz''
+headings or the small squares at the end to move back and forth
+between quiz and answer.
  } \QuickQuizEnd

  In short, if you need a deep

* Re: [GIT PULL] Cosmetic fixes round 3 and other fixes
@ 2016-07-11 13:52             ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 08:55:14PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/10 16:22:36 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >>I found the template by using emacs' 'grep-find' function.
> >>So feel free to remove them.
> >>
> >>There remains one use of 'center' environment in
> >>/advsync/memorybarriers.tex.
> >>I left it as is since it is not nested in another environment.
> >>
> >>But it might be a good idea to promote it to a full-fledged figure with
> >>a caption. It's up to your preference.
> >
> >There are a number of minipage environments that might want to be
> >figures.  But there are so many of them in some places that latex's
> >figure-placement algorithm gets overwhelmed.
> >
> >>And there is another suggestion I'd like to make.
> >>
> >>Wouldn't it be a good idea to advertize the cross-link feature of qqz
> >>somewhere, for example in the Answer of Quick Quick 1.3?
> >
> >Like this?
> >
> >							Thanx, Paul

> >commit 22f83a69d5dd496456b3975c5482b20af002927a
> >Author: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> >Date:   Sun Jul 10 16:20:22 2016 -0700
> >
> >    Add instructions on using quick-quiz hyperlinks
> >
> >    Reported-by: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>
> >    Signed-off-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> >
> >diff --git a/howto/howto.tex b/howto/howto.tex
> >index 7c6ef9de4739..177395fc85ca 100644
> >--- a/howto/howto.tex
> >+++ b/howto/howto.tex
> >@@ -206,6 +206,12 @@ Here are a few possible strategies:
> > 	expect to be called upon to generate parallel solutions given
> > 	only a blank sheet of paper.
> > \end{enumerate}
> >+
> >+Note that as of mid-2016 the quick quizzes are hyperlinked
> >+to the answer and vice versa, courtesy of Paolo Bonzini
> >+and Akira Yokosawa.
> >+Click either the ``Quick Quiz'' headings or the small squares
> >+to move back and forth between quiz and answer.
> > } \QuickQuizEnd
> >
> > In short, if you need a deep
>
> Well, I'm a bit annoyed to see my name here...

Apologies, I did not anticipate that.

> What about the appended patch? (You have pushed the above changes, so
> this is relative to current master).
> And please do *not* apply this as is. I prefer a Reported-by: tag here.
>
> If you do want to mention our names, somewhere in Appendix F would be
> a better place. I'm not insisting. It's up to your preference.

Or we could rely on the git log.  Anyone doing "git blame" on qqz.sty
will see that you contributed.  Would that work?

							Thanx, Paul

@ 2016-07-11 14:32               ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-11 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/07/11 22:52, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 08:55:14PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> There are a number of minipage environments that might want to be
>>> figures.  But there are so many of them in some places that latex's
>>> figure-placement algorithm gets overwhelmed.

>>> Like this?
>>>
>>> 							Thanx, Paul

>>> commit 22f83a69d5dd496456b3975c5482b20af002927a
>>> Author: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>>> Date:   Sun Jul 10 16:20:22 2016 -0700
>>>
>>>    Add instructions on using quick-quiz hyperlinks
>>>
>>>    Reported-by: Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@gmail.com>
>>>    Signed-off-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>>>
>>> diff --git a/howto/howto.tex b/howto/howto.tex
>>> index 7c6ef9de4739..177395fc85ca 100644
>>> --- a/howto/howto.tex
>>> +++ b/howto/howto.tex
>>> @@ -206,6 +206,12 @@ Here are a few possible strategies:
>>> 	expect to be called upon to generate parallel solutions given
>>> 	only a blank sheet of paper.
>>> \end{enumerate}
>>> +
>>> +Note that as of mid-2016 the quick quizzes are hyperlinked
>>> +to the answer and vice versa, courtesy of Paolo Bonzini
>>> +and Akira Yokosawa.
>>> +Click either the ``Quick Quiz'' headings or the small squares
>>> +to move back and forth between quiz and answer.
>>> } \QuickQuizEnd
>>>
>>> In short, if you need a deep
>>
>> Well, I'm a bit annoyed to see my name here...
>
> Apologies, I did not anticipate that.

Please don't mind.
"Annoyed" was not what I meant. I should have said "a little bit surprised".

>> What about the appended patch? (You have pushed the above changes, so
>> this is relative to current master).
>> And please do *not* apply this as is. I prefer a Reported-by: tag here.
>>
>> If you do want to mention our names, somewhere in Appendix F would be
>> a better place. I'm not insisting. It's up to your preference.
>
> Or we could rely on the git log.  Anyone doing "git blame" on qqz.sty
> will see that you contributed.  Would that work?

Yea. And the planned highlight of qqz improvement in the release note.
They are good enough for me.

                                                     Thanks, Akira

@ 2016-07-11 15:37                 ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:32:11PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/11 22:52, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >>Well, I'm a bit annoyed to see my name here...
> >
> >Apologies, I did not anticipate that.
>
> Please don't mind.
> "Annoyed" was not what I meant. I should have said "a little bit surprised".

Whew!  ;-)

> >>What about the appended patch? (You have pushed the above changes, so
> >>this is relative to current master).
> >>And please do *not* apply this as is. I prefer a Reported-by: tag here.
> >>
> >>If you do want to mention our names, somewhere in Appendix F would be
> >>a better place. I'm not insisting. It's up to your preference.
> >
> >Or we could rely on the git log.  Anyone doing "git blame" on qqz.sty
> >will see that you contributed.  Would that work?
>
> Yea. And the planned highlight of qqz improvement in the release note.
> They are good enough for me.

Very good, I pushed the patch with your Reported-by.  And yes, as
mentioned before, this will be prominent in the announcement.

I am making OK progress, but still need to finish the changes to
the hazard-pointer, seqlock, and RCU sections.  Perhaps by Saturday,
Pacific time.

							Thanx, Paul