From: Elizabeth Ferdman <gnudevliz@gmail.com>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: outreachy-kernel@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [Outreachy kernel] vc04_services driver question
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 18:39:23 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 02:56:08PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:30:34PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> > says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> > drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> > that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> > have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> > that one or even a patchset?
>
> Yes, but make sure your patches don't make the code worse.  You might be
> able to build BROKEN code under some conditions.
>
> And the vc04_services code will get that option removed real soon, I
> have a patchset in my queue to fix up the obvious build issues.  Feel
> free to get them out of the driverdevel mailing list archives and apply
> them locally if you wish to start working on that code.

Hey Greg,
Thanks for the tip. I'd love to do that but how? They've already been
sent so I won't get them if I apply to the mailing-list now, right? I
read that you can just save it and use something like git am/git apply.
I am seeing some vc04 patches in the driverdevel archive.. On the bottom
there is a url with a .bin file... I'm not really sure if that's what I
want. Can you clue me in on how to do it?

thanks,
liz