* [Qemu-devel] Status of q35-lite?
@ 2017-05-24 15:07 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-05-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chao.p.peng
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Daniel Berrange, rjones, Michael S. Tsirkin,
	Rik van Riel, qemu-devel

Hi Chao,
Last year there was an effort to make "built-in" hardware optional so
that VMs can be launched with a minimal set of devices.  You made SATA,
PIT, and SMBus optional.

What is the current status of this work?

Are there more devices that could benefit from an optional switch?

For reference, here is the discussion that kicked of the effort to make
some core devices optional:
"[RFC 0/9] Introduce light weight PC platform pc-lite"
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-06/msg04842.html

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Status of q35-lite?
@ 2017-05-30 15:06 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-05-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Anthony, yang.zhong
  Cc: Chao Peng, Michael S. Tsirkin, qemu-devel, Richard W.M. Jones,
	Paolo Bonzini

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

CCing Anthony Xu and Yang Zhong in case they know the current status
of this work.

@ 2017-06-13  6:07 ` Chao Peng
From: Chao Peng @ 2017-06-13  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin, qemu-devel, rjones, Paolo Bonzini

On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 16:07 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Hi Chao,
> Last year there was an effort to make "built-in" hardware optional so
> that VMs can be launched with a minimal set of devices.  You made
> SATA,
> PIT, and SMBus optional.
>
> What is the current status of this work?
>
> Are there more devices that could benefit from an optional switch?

Hi Stefan, in terms of making device optional, we don't have more
follow-ups basically because other build-in devices do not have
significant performance impact. For other optimizations (like
optimizing/skipping BIOS), we are still working on them.

Chao

@ 2017-06-13  9:50   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-06-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Peng