* Perftest fails when declaring support for MW_TYPE_2A
@ 2017-11-01 15:35 Kalderon, Michal
       [not found] ` <CY1PR0701MB2012478CF41D9E2292887ABC885F0-UpKza+2NMNLHMJvQ0dyT705OhdzP3rhOnBOFsp37pqbUKgpGm//BTAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Kalderon, Michal @ 2017-11-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zohar Ben Aharon, Gil Rockah, lunnys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	idos-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Elior, Ariel,
	leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, Amrani, Ram

Hi Mellanox/ Accelio,

There is a very old commit in perftest 96050b8b that assumes bit 23 in device cap flags
means there is driver support for contiguous buffer allocation of user data

There is a clash with the following device capability defined in libibverbs/verbs.h:
#define IBV_DEVICE_MEM_WINDOW_TYPE_2A = 1 << 23

Once driver advertises memory window type 2a capability, the perftest application fails.

I found that IB_DEVICE_MR_ALLOCATE is defined as bit 23 for freebsd git hub and accelio github
And then I saw there are a lot of clashes between ib_verbs + upstream kernel

Clash between the two needs to be resolved.
Perftest wise: Perhaps an additional parameter to perftest ?

Please advise,
Thanks,
Michal

* RE: Perftest fails when declaring support for MW_TYPE_2A
@ 2017-11-01 15:46   ` Zohar Ben Aharon
       [not found]     ` <DB3PR0502MB401294BE74C3F399ABFC9064A95F0-uKIzJYYTohOPJQcb9Mlg0cDSnupUy6xnnBOFsp37pqbUKgpGm//BTAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Zohar Ben Aharon @ 2017-11-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalderon, Michal, Gil Rockah, lunnys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Ido Shamay
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Elior, Ariel,
	leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, Amrani, Ram

Thanks Michal ,

Could you provide the package you were using ?
Case you working on our git , Do you know in which it was broken ?

Could you also add more information regarding the driver and device you were using, and the command that you try to execute and caused that clash ?

Thanks,

Zohar

@ 2017-11-01 15:59       ` Kalderon, Michal
From: Kalderon, Michal @ 2017-11-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zohar Ben Aharon, Gil Rockah, lunnys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Ido Shamay
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Elior, Ariel,
	leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, Amrani, Ram

Hi Zohar,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm working on your git.
I don't think it was broken, more that perhaps it never worked over devices
that advertise MEM_WINDOW_TYPE_2A

>From a quick grep I see that the only ones that advertise TYPE_2A are mlx4 and only under certain
Conditions.

I'm currently adding support for MW_TYPE_2A for our qedr driver and that's how I
Got the perftest failure.

Ran ib_write_bw with all default values
Got the error:
Couldn't allocate MR
Failed to create mr

Michal

@ 2017-11-01 16:45   ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]     ` <20171101164527.GC1030-uk2M96/98Pc@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2017-11-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalderon, Michal
  Cc: Zohar Ben Aharon, Gil Rockah, lunnys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	idos-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Elior, Ariel, leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, Amrani, Ram

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 03:35:54PM +0000, Kalderon, Michal wrote:
> Hi Mellanox/ Accelio,
>
> There is a very old commit in perftest 96050b8b that assumes bit 23
> in device cap flags means there is driver support for contiguous
> buffer allocation of user data

Wow.

This is

https://github.com/linux-rdma/perftest/blob/master/src/perftest_resources.c#L272

And it is totally unacceptable for upstream'ed open source code to
have crap like this.

Delete it.

Jason

@ 2017-11-06 18:27       ` Kalderon, Michal
From: Kalderon, Michal @ 2017-11-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zohar Ben Aharon
  Cc: Gil Rockah, lunnys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	idos-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Elior, Ariel, leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, Amrani, Ram,
	Jason Gunthorpe

Zohar,

Can you comment? Would you like me to provide a patch ? or would you rather?
Thanks,
Michal