* Please pick up i2c-xlp9xx driver patches
@ 2018-01-31 21:01 Phil Pokorny
From: Phil Pokorny @ 2018-01-31 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openipmi-developer, linux-i2c

Cross-posting to openipmi and linux-i2c...
There are four patches from Cavium starting with
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/18/12 that fix an issue with the xlp9xx driver
that causes ipmi_ssif not to be able to detect a platform BMC.

I have two different pre-production hardware chassis that are affected by
this issue and I don't see that the patches were included in v4.15.

I wonder if either Corey or Jean could/should pick these up and submit
upstream?  There doesn't seem to be a MAINTAINERS entry for the i2c-xlp9xx
The driver was submitted Cavium (was Broadcom at the time)  The posts don't
seem to have gotten any comments on LKML.

I tested the patches and they fix the ipmi_ssif detection issue I had.  So
I'm willing to add "Tested-by" to the patches if that helps.

Would like to see these patches make it up-stream so I can they ask that
they be included in the Red Hat and SuSE distro kernels for ARM64.

Thanks,
Phil P.

--
Philip Pokorny, RHCE
Chief Technology Officer

Changing the world through technical innovation

* Re: Please pick up i2c-xlp9xx driver patches
@ 2018-01-31 21:06 ` Phil Pokorny
From: Phil Pokorny @ 2018-01-31 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openipmi-developer, linux-i2c

Cross-posting to openipmi and linux-i2c... (in plain text this time...
my apologies.)

@ 2018-01-31 21:41   ` Corey Minyard
From: Corey Minyard @ 2018-01-31 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pokorny, openipmi-developer, linux-i2c

On 01/31/2018 03:06 PM, Phil Pokorny wrote:
> Cross-posting to openipmi and linux-i2c... (in plain text this time...
> my apologies.)
> There are four patches from Cavium starting with
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/18/12 that fix an issue with the xlp9xx
> driver that causes ipmi_ssif not to be able to detect a platform BMC.
>
> I have two different pre-production hardware chassis that are affected
> by this issue and I don't see that the patches were included in v4.15.
>
> I wonder if either Corey or Jean could/should pick these up and submit
> upstream?

It is all I2C changes, so it's outside my realm.

-corey

@ 2018-02-01  8:12   ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2018-02-01  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pokorny; +Cc: openipmi-developer, linux-i2c

> I wonder if either Corey or Jean could/should pick these up and submit

Plaese note that I took over I2C from Jean in late 2012...

> I tested the patches and they fix the ipmi_ssif detection issue I had.
> So I'm willing to add "Tested-by" to the patches if that helps.

Ehrm, why didn't you do this right away? This helps _a lot_! With these
tags, I might have considered them earlier. But without tags, they
surley needed a full development cycle to avoid regressions. Which means
merge window for v4.17. With tags, I could now consider them for v4.16.

Rule of thumb: If you need patches, show your interest.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Please pick up i2c-xlp9xx driver patches
@ 2018-02-02  6:24     ` Phil Pokorny
From: Phil Pokorny @ 2018-02-02  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfram Sang; +Cc: linux-i2c

Dropping openipmi list cross-post...

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
> Plaese note that I took over I2C from Jean in late 2012...

Oh.  Jean is still listed in the MAINTAINERS file and I remember
working with him for years on i2c and lm_sensors related codes and
patches.

>> I tested the patches and they fix the ipmi_ssif detection issue I had.
>> So I'm willing to add "Tested-by" to the patches if that helps.
>
> Ehrm, why didn't you do this right away?

Because I only just learned about it 2 days ago.  It took Cavium a
while to get me a pointer to the patch they said would fix my problem.
Said problem I've only had for a couple of weeks since it's brand new
(to me) hardware.

> This helps _a lot_! With these
> tags, I might have considered them earlier. But without tags, they
> surely needed a full development cycle to avoid regressions. Which means
> merge window for v4.17. With tags, I could now consider them for v4.16.

That's great to hear.  I haven't had a chance to contribute much since
the change to Git, so I'm not familiar with the "local customs" and
procedures to add those tags.  Can you help by being specific about
what you need from me?

While the patches did apply to the latest 4.15 kernel tree, there was
some fuzz and I think it would be good to rebase or go over them to
make sure that all the code bits are put in the right places.  I guess
that falls to me to do, but I'm worried we'll miss the 4.16 window
which I would really like to see happen.

> Rule of thumb: If you need patches, show your interest.

Understood and I am...

Phil P.