* [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-05-21 23:24 procmem
From: procmem @ 2018-05-21 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, whonix-devel

Hi I'm a privacy distro maintainer investigating the implications of the
newly published nethammer attack [0] on KVM guests particularly the
virtio-net drivers. The summary of the paper is that rowhammer can be
remotely triggered by feeding susceptible* network driver crafted
traffic. This attack can do all kinds of nasty things such as modifying
SSL certs on the victim system.

* Susceptible drivers are those relying on Intel CAT, uncached memory or
the clflush instruction.

My question is, do virtio-net drivers do any of these things?

***

[0] https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.04956

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-01 11:34 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2018-06-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: procmem; +Cc: qemu-devel, whonix-devel, Michael S. Tsirkin, jasowang

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 11:24:43PM +0000, procmem wrote:
> Hi I'm a privacy distro maintainer investigating the implications of the
> newly published nethammer attack [0] on KVM guests particularly the
> virtio-net drivers. The summary of the paper is that rowhammer can be
> remotely triggered by feeding susceptible* network driver crafted
> traffic. This attack can do all kinds of nasty things such as modifying
> SSL certs on the victim system.
>
> * Susceptible drivers are those relying on Intel CAT, uncached memory or
> the clflush instruction.
>
> My question is, do virtio-net drivers do any of these things?

I have CCed Michael Tsirkin and Jason Wang, the virtio maintainers.

> ***
>
> [0] https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.04956

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-01 13:15   ` procmem
From: procmem @ 2018-06-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, whonix-devel, Michael S. Tsirkin, jasowang

Stefan Hajnoczi:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 11:24:43PM +0000, procmem wrote:
>> Hi I'm a privacy distro maintainer investigating the implications of the
>> newly published nethammer attack [0] on KVM guests particularly the
>> virtio-net drivers. The summary of the paper is that rowhammer can be
>> remotely triggered by feeding susceptible* network driver crafted
>> traffic. This attack can do all kinds of nasty things such as modifying
>> SSL certs on the victim system.
>>
>> * Susceptible drivers are those relying on Intel CAT, uncached memory or
>> the clflush instruction.
>>
>> My question is, do virtio-net drivers do any of these things?
> I have CCed Michael Tsirkin and Jason Wang, the virtio maintainers.
>
>> ***
>>
>> [0] https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.04956

Thanks :) I thought my message was forgotten

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-01 15:58     ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2018-06-01 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: procmem; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, whonix-devel, jasowang

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:15:44PM +0000, procmem wrote:

> Stefan Hajnoczi:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 11:24:43PM +0000, procmem wrote:
> >> Hi I'm a privacy distro maintainer investigating the implications of the
> >> newly published nethammer attack [0] on KVM guests particularly the
> >> virtio-net drivers. The summary of the paper is that rowhammer can be
> >> remotely triggered by feeding susceptible* network driver crafted
> >> traffic. This attack can do all kinds of nasty things such as modifying
> >> SSL certs on the victim system.
> >>
> >> * Susceptible drivers are those relying on Intel CAT, uncached memory or
> >> the clflush instruction.
> >>
> >> My question is, do virtio-net drivers do any of these things?
> > I have CCed Michael Tsirkin and Jason Wang, the virtio maintainers.
> >
> >> ***
> >>
> >> [0] https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.04956
> >>

> Thanks :) I thought my message was forgotten

I don't think virtio is using either of these.

Linux does support CAT AFAIK but it has nothing to do with virtio.

--
MST

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-01 18:54       ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2018-06-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: procmem, Stefan Hajnoczi, jasowang, qemu-devel, whonix-devel

* Michael S. Tsirkin (mst@redhat.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:15:44PM +0000, procmem wrote:
> >

> > Stefan Hajnoczi:

> > > I have CCed Michael Tsirkin and Jason Wang, the virtio maintainers.

> > Thanks :) I thought my message was forgotten
>

> I don't think virtio is using either of these.
>
> Linux does support CAT AFAIK but it has nothing to do with virtio.

Isn't the idea to misuse CAT to detect something about access patterns;
so it's not about it actually being related?

Dave

@ 2018-06-02  3:04         ` procmem
From: procmem @ 2018-06-02  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, jasowang, qemu-devel, whonix-devel

Dr. David Alan Gilbert:
> Isn't the idea to misuse CAT to detect something about access patterns;
> so it's not about it actually being related?

AFAICT, CAT is directly responsible since the way it interacts with the
cache allows it to introduce predictable bit flips that can wreak all
kinds of havoc.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-02  3:08       ` procmem
From: procmem @ 2018-06-02  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, whonix-devel, jasowang

Michael S. Tsirkin:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:15:44PM +0000, procmem wrote:
>>

>> Stefan Hajnoczi:

>>> I have CCed Michael Tsirkin and Jason Wang, the virtio maintainers.

>> Thanks :) I thought my message was forgotten
>

> I don't think virtio is using either of these.
>
> Linux does support CAT AFAIK but it has nothing to do with virtio.

Thanks for confirming. This is good news indeed. I am considering
posting about this to kernel-hardening so it's on the sec team's radar
when considering upstream network drivers. What do you think?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net drivers immune to Nethammer?
@ 2018-06-03 16:10         ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2018-06-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: procmem; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, whonix-devel, jasowang

On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 03:08:54AM +0000, procmem wrote:

> Michael S. Tsirkin:
> > On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:15:44PM +0000, procmem wrote:
> >>

> >> Stefan Hajnoczi:

> >> Thanks :) I thought my message was forgotten
> >

> > I don't think virtio is using either of these.
> >
> > Linux does support CAT AFAIK but it has nothing to do with virtio.
> >

> Thanks for confirming. This is good news indeed. I am considering
> posting about this to kernel-hardening so it's on the sec team's radar
> when considering upstream network drivers. What do you think?

It's up to you but the usefulness of reposting like that will be limited IMHO,
unless you have something specific to add.

I think everyone saw the nethammer paper by now, and kernel hardening
team doesn't review network driver patches.

--
MST