* Re: Clearly state infrastructure change on old XFS website
       [not found] <4b3ef7f54f32dc2b61a5d4a33a0e5b2e@wh2.tu-dresden.de>
@ 2018-07-30 22:30 ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2018-07-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam_kalisz; +Cc: david, linux-xfs

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:25:40PM +0200, adam_kalisz wrote:
> Dear Darrick,
>
> I wanted to have a look at the recent new features being added to XFS and
> stumbled on the fact, that Google presents me first with the old website [0]
> and starting on page 2 of the web results (for the desperate) with the
> current website [1].
>
> It would be most helpful to write some notice to the old website and the
> "Getting the latest source code" should point to the current git-repo. It
> cost me some time to realize, there is something wrong, because the git log
> ended at about 4.9 kernel (~2016) when the infrastructure from sgi probably
> got left behind. Also maybe highlight, that the current repo ist xfs-linux
> and NOT linux-xfs! It might help some of your possible future colleagues to
> get started with XFS.

Sorry about that -- I'll ask those who have write access to xfs.org to
update the links.  In the long run I'd rather just move all the
documentation and FAQ into the kernel source itself, especially since it
all now lives on https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ...

--D

@ 2018-07-30 22:44   ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2018-07-30 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong, adam_kalisz; +Cc: linux-xfs

On 7/30/18 5:30 PM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:25:40PM +0200, adam_kalisz wrote:
>> Dear Darrick,
>>
>> I wanted to have a look at the recent new features being added to XFS and
>> stumbled on the fact, that Google presents me first with the old website [0]
>> and starting on page 2 of the web results (for the desperate) with the
>> current website [1].
>>
>> It would be most helpful to write some notice to the old website and the
>> "Getting the latest source code" should point to the current git-repo. It
>> cost me some time to realize, there is something wrong, because the git log
>> ended at about 4.9 kernel (~2016) when the infrastructure from sgi probably
>> got left behind. Also maybe highlight, that the current repo ist xfs-linux
>> and NOT linux-xfs! It might help some of your possible future colleagues to
>> get started with XFS.
>
> Sorry about that -- I'll ask those who have write access to xfs.org to
> update the links.  In the long run I'd rather just move all the
> documentation and FAQ into the kernel source itself, especially since it
> all now lives on https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ...

yeah ...

As a general PSA, the wiki is known to be bitrotting.  It's impossible to add
new editors, for example.  It'll eventually probably go away entirely.

I've fixed up a couple things Darrick asked me to do, but maybe we should
just put a big <blink>THIS WIKI IS BITROTTING</blink> at the top and be
done with it.

-Eric

@ 2018-08-02  9:47     ` Carlos Maiolino
From: Carlos Maiolino @ 2018-08-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Darrick J. Wong, adam_kalisz, linux-xfs

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 05:44:35PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> On 7/30/18 5:30 PM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:25:40PM +0200, adam_kalisz wrote:
> >> Dear Darrick,
> >>
> >> I wanted to have a look at the recent new features being added to XFS and
> >> stumbled on the fact, that Google presents me first with the old website [0]
> >> and starting on page 2 of the web results (for the desperate) with the
> >> current website [1].
> >>
> >> It would be most helpful to write some notice to the old website and the
> >> "Getting the latest source code" should point to the current git-repo. It
> >> cost me some time to realize, there is something wrong, because the git log
> >> ended at about 4.9 kernel (~2016) when the infrastructure from sgi probably
> >> got left behind. Also maybe highlight, that the current repo ist xfs-linux
> >> and NOT linux-xfs! It might help some of your possible future colleagues to
> >> get started with XFS.
> >
> > Sorry about that -- I'll ask those who have write access to xfs.org to
> > update the links.  In the long run I'd rather just move all the
> > documentation and FAQ into the kernel source itself, especially since it
> > all now lives on https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ...
>
> yeah ...
>
> As a general PSA, the wiki is known to be bitrotting.  It's impossible to add
> new editors, for example.  It'll eventually probably go away entirely.
>
> I've fixed up a couple things Darrick asked me to do, but maybe we should
> just put a big <blink>THIS WIKI IS BITROTTING</blink> at the top and be
> done with it.

+1 I volunteered myself to take care of the wiki past year, but looks like my
write access requests were completely ignored and well.

On the other hand though, I wonder if everything xfs.org currently has, is worth
to actually move them to kernel sources.

There are a lot of interesting links there (well, the documents itself, not the
links), which IMHO are really worth to keep.

> -Eric
>
> > --D
> >
> >> TL;DR:
> >> Please make sure the XFS development is more visible by ensuring that most
> >> prominent references point to the current repository and website.

Carlos