* Change ether_addr to avoid conflict
@ 2018-10-24 12:35 Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2018-10-24 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Please consider changing "struct ether_addr" in rte_ether.h to "struct rte_ether_addr", in order to avoid conflicts with the same structure name /usr/include/net/ethernet.h.

Sometimes, there is need to include /usr/include/net/ethernet.h, but it conflicts with the same structure name in rte_ether.h.  Was there a reason this structure wasn't given the standard rte_ prefix?

Thanks,
lew

* Re: Change ether_addr to avoid conflict
@ 2018-10-24 16:11 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-10-24 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 07:35:28 -0500
Lewis Donzis <lew@perftech.com> wrote:

> Please consider changing "struct ether_addr" in rte_ether.h to "struct rte_ether_addr", in order to avoid conflicts with the same structure name /usr/include/net/ethernet.h.
>
> Sometimes, there is need to include /usr/include/net/ethernet.h, but it conflicts with the same structure name in rte_ether.h.  Was there a reason this structure wasn't given the standard rte_ prefix?
>
> Thanks,
> lew

Only history, remember EAL was first running on bare metal.

Changing to 'struct rte_ether_addr' breaks source of lots of applications.

* Re: Change ether_addr to avoid conflict
@ 2018-10-23  8:37   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-10-23  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis; +Cc: dev, Wiles, Keith

22/10/2018 17:06, Wiles, Keith:

> > On Oct 21, 2018, at 8:39 AM, Lewis Donzis <lew@perftech.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please consider changing “struct ether_addr” in rte_ether.h to “struct rte_ether_addr”, in order to avoid conflicts with the same structure name /usr/include/net/ethernet.h.
> >
> > This is kind of a pain for us since we would like to include ethernet.h in order to get some other definitions, but we can’t because it conflicts with the same structure name in rte_ether.h.
>
> I agree, but it will require a deprecation notice as a lot of code uses it.

Yes, it is a very long standing issue.

During the last technical board meeting, we discussed a plan to fix it:
	http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2018-October/116695.html

* Re: Change ether_addr to avoid conflict
@ 2018-10-22 15:06 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2018-10-22 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis; +Cc: dpdk-dev

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 8:39 AM, Lewis Donzis <lew@perftech.com> wrote:
>
> Please consider changing “struct ether_addr” in rte_ether.h to “struct rte_ether_addr”, in order to avoid conflicts with the same structure name /usr/include/net/ethernet.h.
>
> This is kind of a pain for us since we would like to include ethernet.h in order to get some other definitions, but we can’t because it conflicts with the same structure name in rte_ether.h.

I agree, but it will require a deprecation notice as a lot of code uses it.

> Thanks,
> lew

Regards,
Keith