* Host-side tools
@ 2019-02-11 16:03 Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-02-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

Brad,

It's my understanding that host-side tools that cooperate with
bmc-side tools should be in the same repo, hence why the host-side
blobs stuff is in phosphor-ipmi-flash.  However, if I add any
dependencies to the configuration for the BMC-side, those get in the
way of configuring for the host-side.  Would it not make sense to
sometimes have it split?  And if so, I would like to propose creating
two repos, a blobs library host-side, and a flash tool host-side repo,
so those can be neatly split and not have anything in their
configuration file that's really bmc-side specific, like ipmid, or
phosphor-dbus-interface, or something.

Thoughts?

Patrick

* Re: Host-side tools
@ 2019-02-11 18:50 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-02-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:03:17AM -0800, Patrick Venture wrote:
>Brad,
>
>It's my understanding that host-side tools that cooperate with bmc-side
>tools should be in the same repo,

Is this something I said at some point?  Where is this coming from?

>hence why the host-side blobs stuff is in phosphor-ipmi-flash.
>However, if I add any dependencies to the configuration for the
>BMC-side, those get in the way of configuring for the host-side.  Would
>it not make sense to sometimes have it split?  And if so, I would like
>to propose creating two repos, a blobs library host-side, and a flash
>tool host-side repo, so those can be neatly split and not have anything
>in their configuration file that's really bmc-side specific, like
>ipmid, or phosphor-dbus-interface, or something.

I can make a repo if you would like.  Just let me know what you would
like it called.

That said, I think you can also probably do this in the same repo, if
you wanted, by having different build targets - it might not make any
sense to try and build both applications with a single invocation of
configure - as you point out, they are being "configured" for vastly
different runtime environments.

* Re: Host-side tools
@ 2019-02-11 19:48   ` William Kennington
From: William Kennington @ 2019-02-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: Patrick Venture, OpenBMC Maillist

As long as it's possible to build the host side tooling without
building any of the BMC side tooling and vice versa it sounds fine to
me.

@ 2019-02-11 22:58     ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-02-11 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington; +Cc: Brad Bishop, OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:

> As long as it's possible to build the host side tooling without
> building any of the BMC side tooling and vice versa it sounds fine to
> me.

I've been doing a lot of host-side development lately and I was
interested to know what the end result would be.  If someone ran the
configuration just to use the tool, they might run into issues.  I've
avoided using BMC-side libraries where possible to avoid host-side
tool poisoning.

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brad Bishop
> <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:03:17AM -0800, Patrick Venture wrote:
> > >Brad,
> > >
> > >It's my understanding that host-side tools that cooperate with bmc-side
> > >tools should be in the same repo,
> >
> > Is this something I said at some point?  Where is this coming from?

I don't have the exact email, and it might have been very very stale
information.  But I'm glad to clear this up! :D

> > >hence why the host-side blobs stuff is in phosphor-ipmi-flash.
> > >However, if I add any dependencies to the configuration for the
> > >BMC-side, those get in the way of configuring for the host-side.  Would
> > >it not make sense to sometimes have it split?  And if so, I would like
> > >to propose creating two repos, a blobs library host-side, and a flash
> > >tool host-side repo, so those can be neatly split and not have anything
> > >in their configuration file that's really bmc-side specific, like
> > >ipmid, or phosphor-dbus-interface, or something.
> >
> > I can make a repo if you would like.  Just let me know what you would
> > like it called.

Thanks.  I'm working on an IPMI blob toolset, such that there is a
library that provides host-side blob tooling, and then the flash host
toolset can link against that library and be used on the host.

So that's my goal.  To get there I was thinking,
phosphor-ipmi-blobs-tool (or ipmi-blobs-lib) and
phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool for that side.  The argument against
ipmi-blobs-lib is that there may end up being some basic tool there
tool and not just the library -- do you have any preference in this
case?

I'm definitely seeking suggestions on this.

@ 2019-02-11 23:07       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-02-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington; +Cc: Brad Bishop, OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > As long as it's possible to build the host side tooling without
> > building any of the BMC side tooling and vice versa it sounds fine to
> > me.
>
> I've been doing a lot of host-side development lately and I was
> interested to know what the end result would be.  If someone ran the
> configuration just to use the tool, they might run into issues.  I've
> avoided using BMC-side libraries where possible to avoid host-side
> tool poisoning.
>

> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brad Bishop
> > <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

> > > Is this something I said at some point?  Where is this coming from?
>
> I don't have the exact email, and it might have been very very stale
> information.  But I'm glad to clear this up! :D

> > > I can make a repo if you would like.  Just let me know what you would
> > > like it called.
>
> Thanks.  I'm working on an IPMI blob toolset, such that there is a
> library that provides host-side blob tooling, and then the flash host
> toolset can link against that library and be used on the host.
>
> So that's my goal.  To get there I was thinking,
> phosphor-ipmi-blobs-tool (or ipmi-blobs-lib) and
> phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool for that side.  The argument against
> ipmi-blobs-lib is that there may end up being some basic tool there
> tool and not just the library -- do you have any preference in this
> case?

Reviewing my goals further, the idea of having an ipmi-blobs-lib or
ipmi-blobslib repo would be helpful.  I could do all the host-side
blob tooling there, and have that be a dependency of
phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool.  Which leaves me with two repo requests:

ipmi-blobslib
phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool

You could add the phosphor prefix to the ipmi-blobslib if you wanted
for consistency since its' meant to work with and on the phosphor
environment.

@ 2019-02-12 17:11         ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-02-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington; +Cc: Brad Bishop, OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:07 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > As long as it's possible to build the host side tooling without
> > > building any of the BMC side tooling and vice versa it sounds fine to
> > > me.
> >
> > I've been doing a lot of host-side development lately and I was
> > interested to know what the end result would be.  If someone ran the
> > configuration just to use the tool, they might run into issues.  I've
> > avoided using BMC-side libraries where possible to avoid host-side
> > tool poisoning.

> > I don't have the exact email, and it might have been very very stale
> > information.  But I'm glad to clear this up! :D

> > Thanks.  I'm working on an IPMI blob toolset, such that there is a
> > library that provides host-side blob tooling, and then the flash host
> > toolset can link against that library and be used on the host.
> >
> > So that's my goal.  To get there I was thinking,
> > phosphor-ipmi-blobs-tool (or ipmi-blobs-lib) and
> > phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool for that side.  The argument against
> > ipmi-blobs-lib is that there may end up being some basic tool there
> > tool and not just the library -- do you have any preference in this
> > case?
>
> Reviewing my goals further, the idea of having an ipmi-blobs-lib or
> ipmi-blobslib repo would be helpful.  I could do all the host-side
> blob tooling there, and have that be a dependency of
> phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool.  Which leaves me with two repo requests:
>
> ipmi-blobslib
> phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool
>
> You could add the phosphor prefix to the ipmi-blobslib if you wanted
> for consistency since its' meant to work with and on the phosphor
> environment.

Brad + William,

I was thinking about this more -- w.r.t the configure script, i could
put the blobs host-side library portion into the phosphor-ipmi-blobs
repo and have it build and install a library.  And could use enable or
disable to only check for things like phosphor-logging if it's being
built for the BMC.  I'm just not sure what the idiomatic approach is
for that -- or maybe a build variable, like "build-host-library=yes"
or something.

Patrick

@ 2019-02-12 21:33         ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-02-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture, William Kennington; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

On 2/11/19, 3:08 PM, "openbmc on behalf of Patrick Venture" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of venture@google.com> wrote:

    On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

    > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > As long as it's possible to build the host side tooling without
    > > building any of the BMC side tooling and vice versa it sounds fine to
    > > me.
    >
    > I've been doing a lot of host-side development lately and I was
    > interested to know what the end result would be.  If someone ran the
    > configuration just to use the tool, they might run into issues.  I've
    > avoided using BMC-side libraries where possible to avoid host-side
    > tool poisoning.
    >

    > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brad Bishop
    > > <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

    > > > Is this something I said at some point?  Where is this coming from?
    >
    > I don't have the exact email, and it might have been very very stale
    > information.  But I'm glad to clear this up! :D

    > > > I can make a repo if you would like.  Just let me know what you would
    > > > like it called.
    >
    > Thanks.  I'm working on an IPMI blob toolset, such that there is a
    > library that provides host-side blob tooling, and then the flash host
    > toolset can link against that library and be used on the host.
    >
    > So that's my goal.  To get there I was thinking,
    > phosphor-ipmi-blobs-tool (or ipmi-blobs-lib) and
    > phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool for that side.  The argument against
    > ipmi-blobs-lib is that there may end up being some basic tool there
    > tool and not just the library -- do you have any preference in this
    > case?

    Reviewing my goals further, the idea of having an ipmi-blobs-lib or
    ipmi-blobslib repo would be helpful.  I could do all the host-side
    blob tooling there, and have that be a dependency of
    phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool.  Which leaves me with two repo requests:

    ipmi-blobslib
    phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool

Can we name as "phosphor-host-tools instead of calling ipmi-blob.
As we can have similar tools repo for bmc and we can call it as
phosphor-bmc-tools. All host related tools can be in one single
repo and bmc tools can be in another single repo.

@ 2019-02-13 20:23           ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-02-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: William Kennington, OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

> [...]
>     > phosphor-ipmi-blobs-tool (or ipmi-blobs-lib) and
>     > phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool for that side.  The argument against
>     > ipmi-blobs-lib is that there may end up being some basic tool there
>     > tool and not just the library -- do you have any preference in this
>     > case?
>
>     Reviewing my goals further, the idea of having an ipmi-blobs-lib or
>     ipmi-blobslib repo would be helpful.  I could do all the host-side
>     blob tooling there, and have that be a dependency of
>     phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool.  Which leaves me with two repo requests:
>
>     ipmi-blobslib
>     phosphor-ipmi-flash-tool
>
> Can we name as "phosphor-host-tools instead of calling ipmi-blob.
> As we can have similar tools repo for bmc and we can call it as
> phosphor-bmc-tools. All host related tools can be in one single
> repo and bmc tools can be in another single repo.

There's already a repo, iirc for some BMC tools.  And, I don't know
that storing arbitrary host-tools in the same repo is a plan I can
support - unless they're all cpp built the same way, but really at
that point it feels like if someone wanted to build their one tool it
might be more steps?