* Buferbloat, ethernet hardware parameters and LACP bonds...
@ 2021-02-24 11:59 Marco Gaiarin
From: Marco Gaiarin @ 2021-02-24 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Following the 'bufferbloat' recommendation:

        https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/

i've added to a typical bridge (in a debian/ProxmoxVE server):

 iface enp2s0f1 inet manual
        ethernet-autoneg on
        link-speed 100
        link-duplex full
        hardware-dma-ring-tx 18
        offload-tso off
        offload-gso off
        offload-gro off

 auto vmbr1
 iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 172.17.44.50
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 172.17.44.1
        bridge_ports enp2s0f1
        bridge_waitport 30
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

and seems to work, eg link speed is 100Mbit/s and offload parameters
are off.

But i've tried to do the same thing with an LACP bond, adding this parameters
both to single interfaces and also on the bond interface, both seems get
ignored.

It is not possible to set hardware parameters in bond and/or in bond
members?!

Thanks.

* Re: Buferbloat, ethernet hardware parameters and LACP bonds...
@ 2021-02-24 16:47 ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2021-02-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On 2/24/21 4:59 AM, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> It is not possible to set hardware parameters in bond and/or in
> bond members?!

I don't know.

Try running the appropriate commands against the interfaces and bypass
system initialization scripts.  --  My gut tells me that the system
initialization scripts don't apply things properly (or at all) when it's
a bond.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Buferbloat, ethernet hardware parameters and LACP bonds...
@ 2021-03-27 17:46 ` Marco Gaiarin
From: Marco Gaiarin @ 2021-03-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Mandi! Grant Taylor
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > It is not possible to set hardware parameters in bond and/or in bond
> > members?!
> I don't know.
> Try running the appropriate commands against the interfaces and bypass
> system initialization scripts.  --  My gut tells me that the system
> initialization scripts don't apply things properly (or at all) when it's a
> bond.

I come back on this, after i've had the time to setup a test system.

Doing some test lead me to an answer, and you are right.

Reading debian /usr/share/doc/ifenslave/README.Debian.gz:

	Using ifup on a master interface will call ifup for all slaves that are
	flagged with allow-bondX. (bondX being replaced by the master interface
	name). This will allow for extra setup for special slave interfaces.

so effectively it is not sufficient to setup the bond in
/etc/network/interfaces with the list of enslaved interfaces, but you
have to add to enslaved interfaces stanza the 'allow-bondX' keyword,
so they are effectively run.

Sorry. And thanks.