* Missing getext dependency in v2.37
@ 2021-06-07 16:22 Qais Yousef
From: Qais Yousef @ 2021-06-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

Hi Karl

While building v2.37 I hit the following build error

	: --update --no-wrap --previous --lang=ca ca.po util-linux.pot
	rm -f ca.gmo && : -c --statistics --verbose -o ca.gmo ca.po
	mv: cannot stat 't-ca.gmo': No such file or directory

which turned out to be due to a missing gettext package on my system. After
installing it then re-running configure it builds fine.

It was a fresh checkout where I ran autogen.sh, configure and then make.

Should configure fail when it detects gettext is missing? Maybe this is
a symptom of something else failing somewhere else; I admit I didn't dig much
into it.

Thanks

--
Qais Yousef

* Re: Missing getext dependency in v2.37
@ 2021-06-08 14:50 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2021-06-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qais Yousef; +Cc: util-linux

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 05:22:49PM +0100, Qais Yousef wrote:
> While building v2.37 I hit the following build error
>
> 	: --update --no-wrap --previous --lang=ca ca.po util-linux.pot
> 	rm -f ca.gmo && : -c --statistics --verbose -o ca.gmo ca.po
> 	mv: cannot stat 't-ca.gmo': No such file or directory

The po/ stuff is not required for "make", it's usually necessary for
"make distcheck" or so. It seems better to keep (x)gettext binary
installation optional for normal purpose.

There is in ./configure output:

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... no
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge

but you're right that it would be nice to have something more verbose.
I'll add something to ./autogen.sh.

> Should configure fail when it detects gettext is missing?

There is difference between what we use as developers (from git repo)
and what get users by official tarball. The tarball already contains
compiled .(g)mo files. I guess, as end-user, you do not need to generate
anything in po/.

 Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: Missing getext dependency in v2.37
@ 2021-06-08 18:26   ` Qais Yousef
From: Qais Yousef @ 2021-06-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

On 06/08/21 16:50, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 05:22:49PM +0100, Qais Yousef wrote:
> > While building v2.37 I hit the following build error
> >
> > 	: --update --no-wrap --previous --lang=ca ca.po util-linux.pot
> > 	rm -f ca.gmo && : -c --statistics --verbose -o ca.gmo ca.po
> > 	mv: cannot stat 't-ca.gmo': No such file or directory
>
> The po/ stuff is not required for "make", it's usually necessary for
> "make distcheck" or so. It seems better to keep (x)gettext binary
> installation optional for normal purpose.
>
> There is in ./configure output:
>
> checking whether NLS is requested... yes
> checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for xgettext... no
> checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
>
> but you're right that it would be nice to have something more verbose.
> I'll add something to ./autogen.sh.

It was just a bit of a head scratch to figure out what went wrong. Wasn't that
big of a deal really at the end, but thought it'd be good to get a better clue
of what went wrong.

> > Should configure fail when it detects gettext is missing?
>
> There is difference between what we use as developers (from git repo)
> and what get users by official tarball. The tarball already contains
> compiled .(g)mo files. I guess, as end-user, you do not need to generate
> anything in po/.

Fair enough.

Cheers

--