* non-DM SPI_FLASH removal?
@ 2021-07-12 14:01 Marek Behun
From: Marek Behun @ 2021-07-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: u-boot

Tom,

there are 16 boards left with CONFIG_SPI_FLASH
(git grep CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y)
and Makefile says this was supposed to be deprecated in v2019.07.

Are we going to remove them so that we can simplify the SPI subsystem?

Marek

* Re: non-DM SPI_FLASH removal?
@ 2021-07-12 14:10 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2021-07-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Behun, Jagan Teki; +Cc: u-boot

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 04:01:13PM +0200, Marek Behun wrote:

> Tom,
>
> there are 16 boards left with CONFIG_SPI_FLASH
> (git grep CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y)
> and Makefile says this was supposed to be deprecated in v2019.07.
>
> Are we going to remove them so that we can simplify the SPI subsystem?

The warning is on CONFIG_SPI_FLASH without CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH and of
course outside of SPL.  When I asked Jagan about this off-list last
month or so, he said everything had been migrated, and I couldn't make
any boards fail by making the migration warning in the makefile be an
error.  I think that means that if you have SPI subsystem cleanups you
want to do / post, please do so, thanks!

--
Tom

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: non-DM SPI_FLASH removal?
@ 2021-07-12 14:11 ` Marek Behun
From: Marek Behun @ 2021-07-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: u-boot

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:01:13 +0200
Marek Behun <marek.behun@nic.cz> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> there are 16 boards left with CONFIG_SPI_FLASH
> (git grep CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y)
> and Makefile says this was supposed to be deprecated in v2019.07.
>
> Are we going to remove them so that we can simplify the SPI subsystem?
>
> Marek

Alternatively it seems all those boards have devicetrees, and
at91-vinco even has "jedec,spi-nor" compatible device defined.

The m68k devices don't have SPI-NOR device under their spi controller
in device-tree, though.

* Re: non-DM SPI_FLASH removal?
@ 2021-07-12 14:15   ` Marek Behun
From: Marek Behun @ 2021-07-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: Jagan Teki, u-boot

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:10:14 -0400
Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 04:01:13PM +0200, Marek Behun wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> >
> > there are 16 boards left with CONFIG_SPI_FLASH
> > (git grep CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y)
> > and Makefile says this was supposed to be deprecated in v2019.07.
> >
> > Are we going to remove them so that we can simplify the SPI subsystem?
>
> The warning is on CONFIG_SPI_FLASH without CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH and of
> course outside of SPL.  When I asked Jagan about this off-list last
> month or so, he said everything had been migrated, and I couldn't make
> any boards fail by making the migration warning in the makefile be an
> error.  I think that means that if you have SPI subsystem cleanups you
> want to do / post, please do so, thanks!

None of the boards from
  git grep CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
have CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH defined. These boards are not migrated.

Marek

* Re: non-DM SPI_FLASH removal?
@ 2021-07-12 14:25     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2021-07-12 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)