* unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-09 18:45 Trevor Woerner
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-01-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi everyone,

At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
suspected of being, unmaintained?

meta-aarch64
meta-acer
meta-ada
meta-android
meta-angstrom
meta-arago-distro
meta-arago-extras
meta-asus
meta-aurora
meta-baryon
meta-beagleboard
meta-beagleboard-extras
meta-browser
meta-bug
meta-buglabs
meta-chicken
meta-chiefriver
meta-clutter
meta-crownbay
meta-crystalforest
meta-cubox
meta-darwin
meta-eca
meta-efikamx
meta-efl
meta-eldk
meta-emenlow
meta-erlang
meta-ettus
meta-filesystems
meta-fri2
meta-fsl-arm
meta-fsl-arm-extra
meta-fsl-demos
meta-fsl-ppc
meta-fso
meta-games
meta-geeksphone
meta-gir
meta-gnome
meta-gpe
meta-gstreamer10
meta-guacamayo
meta-gumstix
meta-gumstix-community
meta-gumstix-extras
meta-hamradio
meta-handheld
meta-hipos
meta-htc
meta-igep
meta-initramfs
meta-intel
meta-ivi
meta-jasperforest
meta-java
meta-kde
meta-kernel-dev
meta-kirkwood
meta-linaro
meta-linaro-toolchain
meta-lsi
meta-lxcbench
meta-measured
meta-mentor
meta-micro
meta-mingw
meta-minnow
meta-mono
meta-multimedia
meta-n450
meta-netbookpro
meta-netmodule
meta-networking
meta-nokia
meta-nslu2
meta-nuc
meta-oe
meta-openmoko
meta-openpandora
meta-openstack
meta-openstack-compute-deploy
meta-openstack-controller-deploy
meta-openstack-qemu
meta-opie
meta-oracle-java
meta-osmocombb
meta-ouya
meta-palm
meta-perl
meta-picosam9
meta-qt3
meta-qt5
meta-raspberrypi
meta-realtime
meta-ro-rootfs
meta-romley
meta-ros
meta-ruby
meta-samsung
meta-sdr
meta-security
meta-selinux
meta-shr
meta-shr-distro
meta-slugos
meta-smalltalk
meta-sourcery
meta-sugarbay
meta-sunxi
meta-sys940x
meta-systemd
meta-telephony
meta-telldus
meta-ti
meta-tlk
meta-tracing
meta-virtualization
meta-web-kiosk
meta-webos
meta-webos-ports
meta-webserver
meta-woce
meta-x10
meta-xfce
meta-xilinx
meta-xilinx-community
meta-yassl
meta-yocto
meta-yocto-bsp
meta-zynq
meta-zynq-milo
openembedded-core
toolchain-layer

Thank you for your input, and best regards,
    Trevor

[1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-09 21:45 ` Bruce Ashfield
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2014-01-09 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
<trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?

Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity ? Versus an
opt-in query ?

> meta-aarch64
> meta-acer
> meta-ada
> meta-android
> meta-angstrom
> meta-arago-distro
> meta-arago-extras
> meta-asus
> meta-aurora
> meta-baryon
> meta-beagleboard
> meta-beagleboard-extras
> meta-browser
> meta-bug
> meta-buglabs
> meta-chicken
> meta-chiefriver
> meta-clutter
> meta-crownbay
> meta-crystalforest
> meta-cubox
> meta-darwin
> meta-eca
> meta-efikamx
> meta-efl
> meta-eldk
> meta-emenlow
> meta-erlang
> meta-ettus
> meta-filesystems
> meta-fri2
> meta-fsl-arm
> meta-fsl-arm-extra
> meta-fsl-demos
> meta-fsl-ppc
> meta-fso
> meta-games
> meta-geeksphone
> meta-gir
> meta-gnome
> meta-gpe
> meta-gstreamer10
> meta-guacamayo
> meta-gumstix
> meta-gumstix-community
> meta-gumstix-extras
> meta-hamradio
> meta-handheld
> meta-hipos
> meta-htc
> meta-igep
> meta-initramfs
> meta-intel
> meta-ivi
> meta-jasperforest
> meta-java
> meta-kde
> meta-kernel-dev

maintained.

> meta-kirkwood
> meta-linaro
> meta-linaro-toolchain
> meta-lsi
> meta-lxcbench
> meta-measured
> meta-mentor
> meta-micro
> meta-mingw
> meta-minnow
> meta-mono
> meta-multimedia
> meta-n450
> meta-netbookpro
> meta-netmodule
> meta-networking
> meta-nokia
> meta-nslu2
> meta-nuc
> meta-oe
> meta-openmoko
> meta-openpandora
> meta-openstack
> meta-openstack-compute-deploy
> meta-openstack-controller-deploy
> meta-openstack-qemu

All openstack layers are maintained.

> meta-opie
> meta-oracle-java
> meta-osmocombb
> meta-ouya
> meta-palm
> meta-perl
> meta-picosam9
> meta-qt3
> meta-qt5
> meta-raspberrypi
> meta-realtime

mantained

> meta-ro-rootfs
> meta-romley
> meta-ros
> meta-ruby
> meta-samsung
> meta-sdr
> meta-security
> meta-selinux
> meta-shr
> meta-shr-distro
> meta-slugos
> meta-smalltalk
> meta-sourcery
> meta-sugarbay
> meta-sunxi
> meta-sys940x
> meta-systemd
> meta-telephony
> meta-telldus
> meta-ti
> meta-tlk
> meta-tracing
> meta-virtualization

maintained

But I can't say if I didn't miss something I maintain in the list,
since it is long and I scanned
it quickly.

Bruce

> meta-web-kiosk
> meta-webos
> meta-webos-ports
> meta-webserver
> meta-woce
> meta-x10
> meta-xfce
> meta-xilinx
> meta-xilinx-community
> meta-yassl
> meta-yocto
> meta-yocto-bsp
> meta-zynq
> meta-zynq-milo
> openembedded-core
> toolchain-layer
>

> Thank you for your input, and best regards,
>     Trevor
>

> [1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/

thee at its end"

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-09 22:43   ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2014-01-09 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 1/9/14, 3:45 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
> <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
>> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
>> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
>> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity ? Versus an
> opt-in query ?

I agree..  see below for mine..

>> meta-aarch64
> [...]

maintained

@ 2014-01-09 23:20     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-01-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 01/09/14 17:43, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 1/9/14, 3:45 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
>> <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
>>> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
>>> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
>>> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity
>> ? Versus an
>> opt-in query ?
>
> I agree..  see below for mine..

To be honest, I had asked people to indicate which layers they thought
were *un*maintained (since I assumed that list would be small), but this
way works too.

Interestingly enough, had I sorted the list on commit activity,
according to http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/?s=idle
meta-realtime hasn't been touched in 10 months which would make me
suspect it was abandoned.

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-09 23:35   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2014-01-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 04:45:38PM -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
> <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> > is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> > be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> > suspected of being, unmaintained?
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity ? Versus an
> opt-in query ?

Some BSPs are valid for very long time without any commit in it. So I
think it will show a lot of false-possitives.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  1:14       ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2014-01-10  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 01/09/2014 06:20 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On 01/09/14 17:43, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 1/9/14, 3:45 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity
>>> ? Versus an
>>> opt-in query ?
>>
>> I agree..  see below for mine..
>
> To be honest, I had asked people to indicate which layers they thought
> were *un*maintained (since I assumed that list would be small), but this
> way works too.
>
> Interestingly enough, had I sorted the list on commit activity,
> according to http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/?s=idle
> meta-realtime hasn't been touched in 10 months which would make me
> suspect it was abandoned.

This approach is a good test of which layer maintainers are paying
attention to list traffic :)

Philip

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  1:23     ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2014-01-10  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 04:45:38PM -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
> > <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> > > is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> > > be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> > > suspected of being, unmaintained?
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity ?
> Versus an
> > opt-in query ?

In case we're sticking to opt-in rather than opt-out, meta-mentor,
meta-sourcery, meta-ro-rootfs, and meta-tracing are maintained by Mentor
Graphics at this time. :)
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  4:50     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2014-01-10  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 04:45:38PM -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
>> <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
>> > is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
>> > be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
>> > suspected of being, unmaintained?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity ? Versus an
>> opt-in query ?
>
> Some BSPs are valid for very long time without any commit in it. So I
> think it will show a lot of false-possitives.

Just false "suspicions" :)

Bruce

@ 2014-01-10  4:54       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2014-01-10  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Trevor Woerner
<trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 01/09/14 17:43, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 1/9/14, 3:45 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be easier to do an initial sort based on commit activity
>>> ? Versus an
>>> opt-in query ?
>>
>> I agree..  see below for mine..
>
> To be honest, I had asked people to indicate which layers they thought
> were *un*maintained (since I assumed that list would be small), but this
> way works too.

It's always easier to get answers to a  question when presented with a clear
statement (like sending a patch, or a small list in the case), since
it is something
that people can quickly scan and react to ("Hey, they think my layer
is unmaintained!").

But agreed, either way works (say if they are maintained or not) and you'll get
the information, I just suspect you'll get it more quickly with a list
that makes
a clear statement and throws things into initial buckets on their behalf.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Interestingly enough, had I sorted the list on commit activity,
> according to http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/?s=idle
> meta-realtime hasn't been touched in 10 months which would make me
> suspect it was abandoned.

thee at its end"

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  5:47         ` Marko Lindqvist
From: Marko Lindqvist @ 2014-01-10  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 10 January 2014 06:54, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Trevor Woerner
> <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:

>>> I agree..  see below for mine..
>>
>> To be honest, I had asked people to indicate which layers they thought
>> were *un*maintained (since I assumed that list would be small), but this
>> way works too.

 I maintain meta-games, though I have only very little time to give it
- not much activity to add new games, just keeping existing things
working. That's to say that I would consider passing main
maintainership, and keeping working only on my own games myself, to
someone more active if someone steps up.

 - ML

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  5:54 ` Andreas Müller
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Müller @ 2014-01-10  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Trevor Woerner
<trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?

> meta-gumstix-community
maintained
> meta-xfce
maintained

Andreas

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10  6:29 ` Nathan Rossi
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Nathan Rossi @ 2014-01-10  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

Maintained.

Regards,
Nathan

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10  7:03 ` Fathi Boudra
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Fathi Boudra @ 2014-01-10  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 9 January 2014 20:45, Trevor Woerner <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>

> meta-aarch64

maintained.

> meta-acer
> meta-ada
> meta-android
> meta-angstrom
> meta-arago-distro
> meta-arago-extras
> meta-asus
> meta-aurora
> meta-baryon
> meta-beagleboard
> meta-beagleboard-extras
> meta-browser
> meta-bug
> meta-buglabs
> meta-chicken
> meta-chiefriver
> meta-clutter
> meta-crownbay
> meta-crystalforest
> meta-cubox
> meta-darwin
> meta-eca
> meta-efikamx
> meta-efl
> meta-eldk
> meta-emenlow
> meta-erlang
> meta-ettus
> meta-filesystems
> meta-fri2
> meta-fsl-arm
> meta-fsl-arm-extra
> meta-fsl-demos
> meta-fsl-ppc
> meta-fso
> meta-games
> meta-geeksphone
> meta-gir
> meta-gnome
> meta-gpe
> meta-gstreamer10
> meta-guacamayo
> meta-gumstix
> meta-gumstix-community
> meta-gumstix-extras
> meta-hamradio
> meta-handheld
> meta-hipos
> meta-htc
> meta-igep
> meta-initramfs
> meta-intel
> meta-ivi
> meta-jasperforest
> meta-java
> meta-kde
> meta-kernel-dev
> meta-kirkwood

> meta-linaro
> meta-linaro-toolchain

both maintained.

> meta-lsi
> meta-lxcbench
> meta-measured
> meta-mentor
> meta-micro
> meta-mingw
> meta-minnow
> meta-mono
> meta-multimedia
> meta-n450
> meta-netbookpro
> meta-netmodule
> meta-networking
> meta-nokia
> meta-nslu2
> meta-nuc
> meta-oe
> meta-openmoko
> meta-openpandora
> meta-openstack
> meta-openstack-compute-deploy
> meta-openstack-controller-deploy
> meta-openstack-qemu
> meta-opie
> meta-oracle-java
> meta-osmocombb
> meta-ouya
> meta-palm
> meta-perl
> meta-picosam9
> meta-qt3
> meta-qt5
> meta-raspberrypi
> meta-realtime
> meta-ro-rootfs
> meta-romley
> meta-ros
> meta-ruby
> meta-samsung
> meta-sdr
> meta-security
> meta-selinux
> meta-shr
> meta-shr-distro
> meta-slugos
> meta-smalltalk
> meta-sourcery
> meta-sugarbay
> meta-sunxi
> meta-sys940x
> meta-systemd
> meta-telephony
> meta-telldus
> meta-ti
> meta-tlk
> meta-tracing
> meta-virtualization
> meta-web-kiosk
> meta-webos
> meta-webos-ports
> meta-webserver
> meta-woce
> meta-x10
> meta-xfce
> meta-xilinx
> meta-xilinx-community
> meta-yassl
> meta-yocto
> meta-yocto-bsp
> meta-zynq
> meta-zynq-milo
> openembedded-core
> toolchain-layer
>

> Thank you for your input, and best regards,
>     Trevor
>

> [1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/

Cheers,
Fathi

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10  7:08 ` Lukas Bulwahn
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2014-01-10  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, openembedded-core

Hi Trevor,

On 01/09/2014 07:45 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?

meta-ros is maintained.

Lukas

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10  7:21 ` Hongxu Jia
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Hongxu Jia @ 2014-01-10  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, openembedded-core

On 01/10/2014 02:45 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>

> meta-filesystems
Maintained

> meta-perl
Maintained

//Hongxu

  [1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10 13:20 ` Mario Schuknecht
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Mario Schuknecht @ 2014-01-10 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, openembedded-core

> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>

> meta-hipos
>
> is maintained.

Mario

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10 14:01 ` Paul Eggleton
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-01-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On Thursday 09 January 2014 13:45:23 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?

This is all very interesting with people piping up that their layers are
maintained, but I'm not sure it helps solve the overall problem.

We have some immediate issues with patches to particular layers going
unmerged. That's in the process of being resolved.

However, looking to the future it was suggested at the TSC meeting it would be
nice to have some kind of measure or indication for the layer (ideally in the
layer index) as to how well-maintained it is. Is there a practical and
objective measurement we can have about the layer's maintenance status? I
don't have a good idea of what this would actually mean - how many outstanding
patches it has? How recently it has been built/tested?

Also, if it does appear that a layer has gone "unmaintained" by popular
consensus, what should actually be done about it?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10 15:35   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2014-01-10 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: OE-core

Op 10 jan. 2014, om 15:01 heeft Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Thursday 09 January 2014 13:45:23 Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
>> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
>> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
>> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>
> This is all very interesting with people piping up that their layers are
> maintained, but I'm not sure it helps solve the overall problem.
>
> We have some immediate issues with patches to particular layers going
> unmerged. That's in the process of being resolved.
>
> However, looking to the future it was suggested at the TSC meeting it would be
> nice to have some kind of measure or indication for the layer (ideally in the
> layer index) as to how well-maintained it is. Is there a practical and
> objective measurement we can have about the layer's maintenance status? I
> don't have a good idea of what this would actually mean - how many outstanding
> patches it has? How recently it has been built/tested?

Or how long it takes a patch to get applied on average.

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10 15:51   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-01-10 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi Paul,

On 01/10/14 09:01, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> This is all very interesting with people piping up that their layers
> are maintained, but I'm not sure it helps solve the overall problem.

> Also, if it does appear that a layer has gone "unmaintained" by
> popular consensus, what should actually be done about it?

I was hoping I could put together a list of the layers which are no
longer maintained to see if we could find people who might be interested
in stepping up and taking on their maintenance. Or at the very least,
clarifying a given layers' maintenance status.

At the last OE TSC meeting the issue of unmaintained layers was brought
up, I asked several times if people could specify to which layers they
were referring, but nobody replied. So people are concerned about layers
that have no maintainer, but nobody can say which ones (?). In my
opinion I thought it would be easier to solve this problem if we could
at least start by defining it.

As to what can be done about it: if a layer is not maintained, and
nobody cares for the layer, we should drop it from the list or at least
mark it as such ("buyer beware"). If a layer is not maintained, and
people do care, then we'll need to try to find someone to take
responsibility for it (we should, at the very least, make the attempt).
Also I think we should identify layers that people do care about, whose
maintenance is questionable, which are not hosted in a way where the
community can apply necessary patches to easily.

Best regards,
    Trevor

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10 16:02     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2014-01-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 01/10/2014 10:51 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On 01/10/14 09:01, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> This is all very interesting with people piping up that their layers
>> are maintained, but I'm not sure it helps solve the overall problem.
>
>> Also, if it does appear that a layer has gone "unmaintained" by
>> popular consensus, what should actually be done about it?
>
> I was hoping I could put together a list of the layers which are no
> longer maintained to see if we could find people who might be interested
> in stepping up and taking on their maintenance. Or at the very least,
> clarifying a given layers' maintenance status.
>
> At the last OE TSC meeting the issue of unmaintained layers was brought
> up, I asked several times if people could specify to which layers they
> were referring, but nobody replied. So people are concerned about layers
> that have no maintainer, but nobody can say which ones (?). In my
> opinion I thought it would be easier to solve this problem if we could
> at least start by defining it.

BTW, I maintain meta-sdr.

Philip

> As to what can be done about it: if a layer is not maintained, and
> nobody cares for the layer, we should drop it from the list or at least
> mark it as such ("buyer beware"). If a layer is not maintained, and
> people do care, then we'll need to try to find someone to take
> responsibility for it (we should, at the very least, make the attempt).
> Also I think we should identify layers that people do care about, whose
> maintenance is questionable, which are not hosted in a way where the
> community can apply necessary patches to easily.
>
> Best regards,
>     Trevor

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-10 16:24       ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-01-10 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 01/10/14 11:02, Philip Balister wrote:
> BTW, I maintain meta-sdr.

...and meta-ettus and meta-zynq?

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10 16:28 ` Saul Wold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Saul Wold @ 2014-01-10 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, openembedded-core

On 01/09/2014 10:45 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?
>

> meta-baryon
> meta-security
> meta-web-kiosk

These are being maintained

Sau!

> Thank you for your input, and best regards,
>      Trevor
>

> [1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10 17:27 ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2014-01-10 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Jan 9, 2014 8:45 PM, "Trevor Woerner" <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> [...]

Maintained.

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-10 18:54 ` João Henrique Freitas
From: João Henrique Freitas @ 2014-01-10 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

meta-erlang

maintained.

--
João Henrique Ferreira de Freitas - joaohf_at_gmail.com
Campinas-SP-Brasil

* Re: unmaintained layers
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-12 20:28 ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2014-01-12 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 9-1-2014 19:45, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?
> meta-zynq-milo

Worse than unmaintained - this one was taken out of existence last
Friday. I've already notified Paul Eggleton, so it should removed from
the list soon.

Mike.

* Re: unmaintained layers
@ 2014-01-12 20:42   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-01-12 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi Mike,

On 01/12/14 15:28, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> Worse than unmaintained - this one was taken out of existence last
> Friday. I've already notified Paul Eggleton, so it should removed from
> the list soon.

Excellent, thanks for the update :-)