* [Buildroot] Buildroot ARM with Altera FPGA de10-standard
       [not found] <mailman.9.1610539203.245130.buildroot@busybox.net>
@ 2021-01-14  6:08 ` Andreas Ziegler
From: Andreas Ziegler @ 2021-01-14  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Mauricio,

> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:47:53 +0000

> Unfortunately, in step 7.1 - "Configuring Buildroot" my terminal hangs
> out for too much time.

> Please, how long should this step take to finish? Should it be more
> than
> 5 days?

Buildroot compiles a few files to display the ncurses menu. With a fresh
installation it should be finished in a few seconds.

> Is there some way to enable log messages or building progress messages?

Buildroot outputs compiler warnings on stderr and makefile output on
stdout, so you should see something, _unless_ your terminal somehow
redirects output. You might check if 'make -v' produces output.

If you need additional output, invoke Buildroot with 'V=1' after the
make command. [1]

   $ make V=1 -C buildroot nconfig

Are you really using Buildroot version 2017? In that case you should
switch to a newer version [2]. You do not need architecture or toolchain
related commands when invoking Buildroot, this information is entered
later under 'Target Options' and 'Toolchain' as outlined in the Terasic
document.

Good luck,
Andreas

[1] https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#make-tips
[2] https://buildroot.org/download.html

* [Buildroot] Buildroot ARM with Altera FPGA de10-standard
@ 2021-01-14 15:00   ` Mauricio Litinow
From: Mauricio Litinow @ 2021-01-14 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for your attention.

I have never been able to run Buildroot on my de10-standard card,
hopefully this situation will change soon.

I was trying to use the Buildroot version 2017 because that info
described on the bitlog blog is all that I have.

If I change it to use the last version of Buildroot, please can you
share with me what Terasic document describes the 'Target Options' and
the 'Toolchain' settings ? It is yet very confused in my mind.

Also, what GCC linaro and kernel headers version should I use with the
last version of the Buildroot?

Kind regards,

Mauricio

@ 2021-01-15  5:44     ` Andreas Ziegler
From: Andreas Ziegler @ 2021-01-15  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Mauricio,

On 2021-01-14 15:00, Mauricio Litinow wrote:

> If I change it to use the last version of Buildroot, please can you
> share with me what Terasic document describes the 'Target Options' and
> the 'Toolchain' settings ? It is yet very confused in my mind.

The 'Target options' did not change from the 2017 version, use the
settings from the Terasic documentation.

'Toolchain' has a few additional options (e.g. additional languages),
take the settings from the documentation and leave the extra options at
their default value.

> Also, what GCC linaro and kernel headers version should I use with the
> last version of the Buildroot?

I hope you used the newer kernel and toolchain from the documentation,
they should be OK. Don't change everything at once.

You can skip step 7.2 if you don't want to change the Buildroot standard
settings, but take a look at Buildroot's 'System configuration' menu.

Kind regards,
Andreas

* [Buildroot] Buildroot ARM with Altera FPGA de10-standard
@ 2021-01-13 10:47 Mauricio Litinow
From: Mauricio Litinow @ 2021-01-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi folks

I am working to regenerate the article published on the following web page:

https://bitlog.it/20170820_building_embedded_linux_for_the_terasic_de10-nano.html

My environment is a little different from the article because I am using
a de10-standard card instead of de10-nano.

Unfortunately, in step 7.1 - "Configuring Buildroot" my terminal hangs
out for too much time.

I already left it building for 5 days without success.

The worst part for me is a terminal hanged out without log messages.

Please, how long should this step take to finish? Should it be more than
5 days?

Is there some way to enable log messages or building progress messages?

Best regards,

Mauricio Penteado