* early days before git's invention
@ 2009-11-08 12:23 Zhi Li
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Zhi Li @ 2009-11-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello list,

I have a question maybe not suitable to be put on this list. I'm just
curious on git and Linux history. As what was said on wiki, Linux
kernel was maintained by BitKeeper, then for some reason, BitKeeper
can not be used, so git was invented. My question is what was used
before BitKeeper, CVS? I don't think so. Then, just using file to
manage?

Zhi

* Re: early days before git's invention
@ 2009-11-08 13:10 ` Alejandro Riveira
From: Alejandro Riveira @ 2009-11-08 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

El Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:23:08 +0800, Zhi Li escribió:

> Hello list,

 Hi
[ ... ]

> used, so git was invented. My question is what was used before
> BitKeeper, CVS? I don't think so. Then, just using file to manage?

 Tarballs and patches :-)

@ 2009-11-08 13:12 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-11-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Li; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Zhi Li wrote:

> I have a question maybe not suitable to be put on this list. I'm just
> curious on git and Linux history. As what was said on wiki, Linux kernel
> was maintained by BitKeeper, then for some reason, BitKeeper can not be
> used, so git was invented. My question is what was used before
> BitKeeper, CVS? I don't think so. Then, just using file to manage?

Please read the transcript of Linus' talk about Git, it should contain all
the information you are interested in [*1*]:

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/LinusTalk200705Transcript

Ciao,
Dscho

Footnote *1*: For more background on the BitKeeper sadness:
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitHistory

* Re: early days before git's invention
@ 2009-11-08 13:29 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2009-11-08 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Li; +Cc: git

Zhi Li <lizhi1215@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a question maybe not suitable to be put on this list. I'm just
> curious on git and Linux history. As what was said on wiki, Linux
> kernel was maintained by BitKeeper, then for some reason, BitKeeper
> can not be used, so git was invented. My question is what was used
> before BitKeeper, CVS? I don't think so. Then, just using file to
> manage?

For why BitKeeper could not be used, see:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)#Early_history
  http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitHistory
  http://kerneltrap.org/node/4982
  http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/129776/after_controversy_torvalds_begins_work_git?fp=16&fpid=0

  http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/demise-of-gratis-bitkeeper.html
  http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/what-bitmover-got-wrong.html
  http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/the-bitkeeper-ghost.html

Before BitKeeper Linux used tarballs (for releases) plus patches (for
changes); patches were send by email (on LKML).  Some maintainers used
tools like Quilt (or custom scripts) for patch management.

P.S. FreeBSD (IIRC) used / uses CVS for version control, but it has
quite different development model than Linux.

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland

* Re: early days before git's invention