* [ath9k-devel] permanent carriere for measurement purpose
@ 2016-02-15 21:15 Hendrik Lüth
From: Hendrik Lüth @ 2016-02-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hey all together,

I'd like to ask, weather there is a way to modify the ath9k driver to
force a device to make a permanent carrier on a given channel and band.
As I plan to measure the wireless characteristics of some Routers with
build-in antennas I contacted one of my professors at the KIT [1] and
asked for some lab-time in the antenna measurement chamber.
After we talked the whole process through he wanted to make sure, the we
get a good measurement and he wants the Routers to transmit a static
carrier on a given channel.
How can I force the router to do this? Any help would be much
appreciated. The measurement itself is for our local Freifunk-Community,
were some people came up with some interesting antenna-modifications, we
now want to measure.

Greetings from Karlsruhe,
Hendrik L?th

[1] Karlsruher Institute of Technologie, http://kit.edu/

* [ath9k-devel] permanent carriere for measurement purpose
@ 2016-02-15 22:47 ` Till Wollenberg
From: Till Wollenberg @ 2016-02-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Hendrik,

* On 15.02.2016 22:15 Hendrik L?th wrote:
> I'd like to ask, weather there is a way to modify the ath9k driver to
> force a device to make a permanent carrier on a given channel and band.
> As I plan to measure the wireless characteristics of some Routers with
> build-in antennas I contacted one of my professors at the KIT [1] and
> asked for some lab-time in the antenna measurement chamber.
> [?]

Maybe the "TX99" functionality is useful for you:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=89f927af7f3389e20c8ad24abfb3d1369f3ffc10

(I don't know if there is a better documentation somewhere, but I think the
commit message explains how to use it briefly.)

Best regards
Till

* [ath9k-devel] permanent carriere for measurement purpose
@ 2016-02-15 23:44 ` John Clark
From: John Clark @ 2016-02-15 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

The file ?tx99.c? has code to create ?close? to a permanent signal from appropriate Atheros hardware. But it is 99% Duty Cycle transmission. If that is good enough, then you can look to see how
to incorporate it in your driver.

I?ve moved on from the Atheros chip set for my RF needs, but noticed a couple of postings on the use of the TX99 code, which I had to use as well for test purposes.

John Clark.